XIM Community

Halo 5's Aiming System (UPDATED)  (Read 215756 times)

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Halo 5's Aiming System (UPDATED)
« on: 10:21 PM - 10/29/15 »
UPDATE: I've been seeing posts about "problematic controllers" and "deadzones" as being the problem with Halo 5's aiming system. That's not it.

343i, I'll make it easy for you. Look at the picture below. Here is a partial map of the stick positions where you jump in turn velocity by 2.34x. For example, if you are aiming at someone and you happen to be at 32336,0 and you accidentally nudge the stick to 32337,0 then your reticle will suddenly jump by over 2 times the speed you were just turning at. Even worse, it'll accelerate to that 2.34x speed over ~1 second. Unless you have incredible muscle memory, how could any gamer reliably know where that point is?

The fix is:

1) Keep your dead-zone and positional acceleration curves
2) Remove the velocity jump
3) Remove the time-based acceleration at maximum
4) Increase maximum horizontal turn speed by at least 3x (make sensitivity knob go up to 30)

UPDATE: We released a new ST for Halo 5 that models the built-in velocity jump differently. XIM4 Manager will automatically download the update.

Please copy your Config Settings from your old Halo 5 Config, create a new Halo 5 Config, and then paste your Settings.

Tap the center of the Halo 5 icon in the Manager HUD and confirm that it says: Halo5-X1.2.

The Halo community (XIM and controller gamers alike) have been talking about Halo 5's surprise changes to how it aims. XIM's Smart Translator system gives us an insight into how every game developer designs their aiming systems. I can tell you after studying the data that 343 has done a great disservice to the Halo community.

343 changed Halo aim by splitting the stick into 2 separate regions: aim and turn. They also chose this point seeming arbitrarily as well before maximum stick deflection. Meaning, any player that accidentally goes beyond this point (such as during the heat of a fire fight) will find their reticle jump. The speed gap between "aim" and "turn" is very large. Instead of moving towards a good example of an aiming system (i.e. CoD and BF), they went completely the other way.

Something as fundamental as aim should be customizable. There is no single solution for everyone (certainly not what they changed here). It is our hope that 343 will realize this mistake and fix their game.

In the mean time, the XIM community will work to find a way around the large velocity dead area 343 put into the game. One way is to make the transition from "aim" to "turn" deliberate. To do so, a Ballistic Curve can be used to cut off the "turn" part of the aiming system like so (this curve assumes you are running the latest Beta):

Code: [Select]
>>> XIM4 [Mouse Ballistics] START PASTE >>>
X4MB:AAAAGgA0AC4AMAAwAC4AMgAwADEANQAwADgAMQA2AAoUHigyPEZQWmRueIKMjIyMjIyM:X4MB
<<< XIM4 END PASTE <<<

This will give you consistent aiming, but, you'll realize how slow this "aim" part of their system is.

To handle "turn", XIM4 needs to know your intent. One way is to map buttons to right and left turn (under Advanced Mouse Settings). However, we'd like to see if we can find a better way. If you have any ideas, please share here.
« Last Edit: 06:20 PM - 11/04/15 by OBsIV »
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Halo 5's Aiming System
« Reply #1 on: 10:32 PM - 10/29/15 »
How do I convert this ballistic curve to be compatible with the live / non-beta firmware? Or can you just provide the code for both?
« Last Edit: 11:54 PM - 10/29/15 by piiwii »
Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Offline havoxxx

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:20 PM - 10/29/15 »
snipe

Can you post a picture of what the curve looks like? I have no idea on how to copy and paste curves. Attempted and i can not figure it out..

Picture of XIM setting would be gratefully appreciated

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:26 AM - 10/30/15 »
thanks for the update obsiv

PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:15 AM - 10/30/15 »

<<< XIM4 END PASTE <<<

Can you post the gold version of this?

I assume it looks like this? I capped it at 65%:

Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Offline McNappa

• MVP
  • He who dares dies and then gets teabagged
    • View Profile
    • Allah's snack bar online
  • Gamertag: McNappa
  • PSN ID: x_McNappa_x
« Reply #5 on: 02:21 PM - 10/30/15 »
@OBsIV.   maybe you should email your findings to 343 . After all they can't ban XIM and m$ has no interest in stopping us XIM users ( as confirmed by emails and phone calls with m$ ) .
Or maybe we as a very strong community should be active in the halo forums. I'm sure thehalo community once armed with such information would have more sway with devs in having either A) aiming system back to how it was in the beta or B) let us have the option for a halo "classic" aiming system. Something needs to be done.
Hardware modder , hardcore DJ , turntablist , Boss , friend , lover , fighter , all round headcase

Offline guitarpanda

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:37 PM - 10/30/15 »
thanks for looking into this Obsiv, I hope it gets addressed. I still can't get over this decision after having so much fun in the beta.   

Edit: I posted your quote on the halo's reddit, under the most popular aiming "bug" thread, on neogaf, and on the halo forums.

Edit: So, when you make the ST's are you using the new 3.5mm controller? Would this have any impact on the ST? People are claiming it's only having issues with the new 3.5 controller. Excuse my ignorance as I have no idea how the ST creation process works.
« Last Edit: 03:35 PM - 10/30/15 by guitarpanda »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07:45 AM - 10/31/15 »

<<< XIM4 END PASTE <<<

Can you post the gold version of this?

I assume it looks like this? I capped it at 65%:

thats the curve except obsiv capped it at 70, maybe you can share the code for the gold version then
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Ryoga

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:32 AM - 10/31/15 »
It is our hope that 343 will realize this mistake and fix their game.

They won't change it. This change was made via Pro Gamers (old and current) feedback when testing in-house as they didn't feel aiming at long distances felt right. It's an amendment for the controller users only. We'll just have to live with it....

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:02 PM - 10/31/15 »
I'm thinking with this curve, I'll add a button on the side of my mouse to max out my turn speed so I can turn around when I need to in the direction I want to, without adding 2 extra buttons.

Anyone else got a better idea?

Offline guitarpanda

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:26 PM - 10/31/15 »
I'm thinking with this curve, I'll add a button on the side of my mouse to max out my turn speed so I can turn around when I need to in the direction I want to, without adding 2 extra buttons.

Anyone else got a better idea?

Obsiv demanding 343 changing it politely after presenting the data. Hahah, JK. That's not a bad idea Paul maybe I'll try it out. I'm just so bitter. I had so much fun in the beta, now I've become so cold, dark, defeated.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 03:55 PM - 10/31/15 »

They won't change it. This change was made via Pro Gamers (old and current) feedback when testing in-house as they didn't feel aiming at long distances felt right. It's an amendment for the controller users only. We'll just have to live with it....

Controller users hate it too. Why they would optimize for the .0001% is beyond me. It has to be the dumbest decision that 343 has made.

If they are smart they will:

1) Make this new "improved" aiming system optional or delete it completely
2) Bring back the Halo 4 aiming system, and:
  a) Increase maximum horizontal speed by at least 3x
  b) Never put in a velocity jump ever again
  c) Get rid of any time-based acceleration

That's it.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline guitarpanda

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:00 PM - 10/31/15 »

Controller users hate it too. Why they would optimize for the .0001% is beyond me. It has to be the dumbest decision that 343 has made.

If they are smart they will:

1) Make this new "improved" aiming system optional or delete it completely
2) Bring back the Halo 4 aiming system, and:
  a) Increase maximum horizontal speed by at least 3x
  b) Never put in a velocity jump ever again
  c) Get rid of any time-based acceleration

That's it.

ILY. Yeah, it's just too bad. I was so pumped for this game after the beta. I can't even enjoy it atm at all, it's so wonky.

Offline legends2710

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: legends2710
« Reply #13 on: 06:13 PM - 10/31/15 »
You can basically use this curve with a toggle. So when you are in gun fights u toggle the curve then when u are not untoggle the curve. Just an idea... Its wont be as clunky as using turn assist or using buttons to emulate the right stick..

Offline guitarpanda

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06:34 PM - 10/31/15 »
You can basically use this curve with a toggle. So when you are in gun fights u toggle the curve then when u are not untoggle the curve. Just an idea... Its wont be as clunky as using turn assist or using buttons to emulate the right stick..

A decent idea, but it's unrealistic in the pace of this game. 343 really messed this up. Sorry for being so negative.