XIM Community

There is something seriously wrong with Halo 5's look mechanic...  (Read 15740 times)

Offline gruntboy

• View Profile
I just loaded up the new ST, and something is very off about the look mechanic at around 70% of max speed.  Coming from playing exclusively Gears where velocity jumps and generally horrendous look mechanics reign supreme, it would seem that Halo 5 has a massive velocity jump that was not nearly as prevalent in previous Halo titles.  To further compound the issue, the jump happens sooner for diagonal movement than it does for purely horizontal movement based on some ballistic curve testing I did.  Is anyone experiencing this? It's making tracking targets almost impossible with the mouse, because all of a sudden my aim starts flinging all over the place and then the next second it's barely moving at all even though I'm barely changing my actual mousing speed.  I don't remember the beta being like this but I could be wrong.

*EDIT*

I've seen some people mention that there is an aim slowdown around 65% of max speed.  I also found this in my testing last night.  Based on my experience with Gears of War, what we are experiencing is not a "slowdown," but instead an acceleration deadzone.

I'll try to explain that.  It would seem that from 0% -  ~65% of max speed, the aim mechanic is perfectly 1:1.  However, after that the doo-doo hits the fan.  From ~65% - ~75% there is a complete deadzone where you cannot increase the velocity of your aim, it simply plateaus at ~65%.  This deadzone seems to happen at a lower turn speed percentage for vertical movement than for horizontal movement.  Then at ~75%, the velocity jump hits and the turn speed is immediately accelerated to 100% speed, leaving you with no control between ~75% and 100%.  Again, this velocity jump seems to happen at a lower turn speed percentage for vertical movement when compared to horizontal movement.  So you can forget about accurately tracking anything diagonally.

So essentially, this game has one of the worst look mechanics I've seen for an FPS in years and I'm extremely disappointed.  And based on 343i's "aim assist" explanation, they don't even realize what the actual problem is. 
« Last Edit: 06:26 PM - 10/28/15 by gruntboy »

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
The H5 ST doesn't feel right to me either. I switched back to Destiny.
Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Offline He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
I agree, something isn't right.... There's definitely some sort of velocity jump happening :(
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline VinnieVic

• View Profile
I find Halo 5 very playable but it seems the slower I move my mouse the faster I turn and vice versa.. Very strange. I'm using a Logitech Proteus with a Nav controller.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
yes i felt that too, although id go so far and say that in addition to the jump there also are some sort of sluggish momements starting around 40-50% speed
the higher i set my sensitivity the less it becomes noticeable, i experience it the most with medium xim sensitivities

edit:
controller players are complaining too in halo forums
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline wyld3

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Wyld3 KNFr
  • PSN ID: Wyld3_KNFr
The link says it's a default settings issue, mine is on bumper jumper, wonder if that's why i don't notice it?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
That appears like a different issue?

Are controller players complaining about the turn speed as well? They have been reducing it with each iteration after Halo 4 on 360.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
the forum i read the pad players complained about the velocity jump when being close or at maximum turnspeed
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
I agree, they really messed up aim  -- it wasn't like this is the Beta. Hopefully something they'll fix.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
The link says it's a default settings issue, mine is on bumper jumper, wonder if that's why i don't notice it?
I use Recon and I feel it.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
overall i need to say the aiming is a lot harder/off than in previous halos

while i could easily follow a strafing opponents head in all the previous halos its a real struggle in halo 5, most because of what i described above with the sluggish feel in mid/low speed mouse movements
anyone experiencing the same?

i bumped my sensitivity to a very high value now, doesnt feel very comfortable but at least i can stay on strafing targets now

Offline SE4N

• View Profile
I just read this on the bug report thread on the halo subreddit

"You guys forgot to add vertical sensitivity (up down).

Since my horizontal (left right) sesivitivity is fast [8] my veritical is like [3].

It really messes up a players aim. Please don't overlook this complaint. No other halo has had a broken feature like this. I want my sensitivity to match each other both vertical and horizontal so I can have consistent aiming again. Thanks"

Maybe this is what's going on?  Maybe only the horizontal sensitivity is being changed when you customize your look speed instead of both axis'?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
wow this could really be it and would explain why i cannot really stay on fast strafing targets
while the smart trainer probably is good enough to compensate that XY issue with the ST it just doesnt fully work to give a smooth experience

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
No, the Halo 5 ST found equal horizontal and vertical sensitivity. The problem is definitely a velocity jump and time based acceleration. The velocity jump is new to Halo.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.