XIM Community

Running SLI...w00t  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
Running SLI...w00t
« on: 10:14 PM - 12/31/09 »
Finally picked up another 8800GT to run them SLI.  One is an SC and the other is an SSC.  I downclocked the SSC to 650 to keep things stable.  Seems to be doing fine.  Running these cards on my asus p5n-d mobo.  Instantly recognizeable difference in games.  I max out COD 4 at 302fps now...w00t. 

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Running SLI...w00t
« Reply #1 on: 11:39 PM - 12/31/09 »
I would do that too but I just found out my new mobo runs each sli card in 8x. I havent researched if 8x 8x is better than just one card in 16x
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:56 AM - 01/01/10 »
Congrats Ub3r !
 Those 8800gt's in Sli are beasts with the right drivers.

Offline Shrimpanzee

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Shrimpanzee
« Reply #3 on: 06:34 AM - 01/01/10 »
Those are antiques  ;D

Offline Spooke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:18 PM - 01/01/10 »
I would do that too but I just found out my new mobo runs each sli card in 8x. I havent researched if 8x 8x is better than just one card in 16x

Yo, my Mobo runs SLI in 8x, I also have two 8800GT's running SLI.. I read that no card maxes out the speed of 8x anyway, so it shouldnt matter, I noticed a big difference with them both in 8x anyway, have a read about it anyhow  :P

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:49 PM - 01/01/10 »
Those are antiques  ;D

Which is why they're so cheap.  I got my first one for like 230 and my second one for 60....w3rd

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:51 PM - 01/01/10 »
Congrats Ub3r !
 Those 8800gt's in Sli are beasts with the right drivers.

Which ones are the right ones?  I just install whatever is newest at the time from the nvidia website.  I used to mess about with the beta drivers from guru3d.com but I started having issues with them sometimes. I was using some older version of the driver for my 8800GT, but those drivers didn't support SLI for the 8800GTs so I had to update....bah

Offline Shrimpanzee

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Shrimpanzee
« Reply #7 on: 04:01 PM - 01/01/10 »
Those are antiques  ;D

Which is why they're so cheap.  I got my first one for like 230 and my second one for 60....w3rd

Yeah I have an old 8600gt in my build... never felt the need to upgrade after getting XIM.

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:23 PM - 01/01/10 »
uhmm.. I'd  benchmark in Vantage or 3dmark 06 before and after and see if these drivers work for you. I know it took me a wile to find drives that my 8800gt's in sli liked.  ;)
Hopefully these will do good for ya Ub3r.
 BTW..
 I recently did the e4300 BSEL volt mod to a stock Oem dell motherboard
 (overclocked to 3.0ghz )..which is what I'm running thos Leadtek 8800gt's on.
Here are the driver's I'm using..the 185.68's  I've tried many others but they all give me artifacs in certain games.
( NOTE : these also drivers support ambient occlusion which is used in newer games)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_185.68_beta.html

Good luck !
Here's one of mine..thin little bugers aren't they?

« Last Edit: 10:33 PM - 01/01/10 by glenn37216 »

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:42 PM - 01/01/10 »
thanks glenn.  Have you noticed anything different/special with the Leadtek cards?  My last several purchases of nvidia cards have all been evga.  I've had good experiences with them.  I had bought some kind of off brand ATI card back in the day that had a fan go out on and I bought a BFG card that overheated on me nonstop until I eventually bought a new cooler for it.  EVGA I've never had anything but good times.   

As far as artifacting, the only issue I've run into with my 8800GT is when I was running TF2 and L4D2, I would get huge artifacts and then lock ups.  Sometimes it would put me back into windows with the nv4_disp.dll error at super low res.  Sometimes it would just sit forever.  Sometimes it would blue screen.  I thought it was my card going bad or drivers or whatever.  Then I came to find out that it was corrupted game files from steam.  Once I redownloaded everything, it's been all good since then.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:57 PM - 01/01/10 »
obviously running vsync is pointless to me now, but did anyone ever figure out a way to elminate the huge mouse lag caused by running games with vsync on?

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:02 PM - 01/01/10 »
Ahh.. I know the dreaded  nv4_disp.dll error very well. I used to get that alot in Oblivion and Fallout 3. Mine was a driver issue though ..As for evga , well they have great customer support but I've had nothing but trouble from their cards and boards. Bear in mind that I've bought this brand the least . I have 14 items currently registered with them atm. From motherboards, to video cards.
Here is a short list of failure I've had with the Evga brand. I'm not knocking down the company by any means .. I'm just saying I've had alot of RMA'S  with them.

Rma list:
EVGA 680I BOARDS TOTAL 6..(mostly ff code  and usb total failures.
EVGA 780I BOARDS TOTAL 2  both a replacement for 680i rma... both would not boot (cold boot memory c1 error)
EVGA 8800GTX TOTAL 4  ..2 fan failures...1 that had bad caps.. 1 that completely went dead on me.

EVGA 8600GT TOTAL 2.. both had memory bugs.
EVGA 7800 SUPERCLOCKED EDITION 3 ..failed fan after 1 week
EVGA 8800GT SSC 1.. yellow textures on desktop..Jacob at evga told me this was memory failure

I have never had to rma a leadtek , bfg nor any ati card at all . Luck maybe? I dunno.

I've never noticed mouse lag with vsync on Ub3r... I use vsync alot in Gears of war, shadowrun , left for dead etc. Without it I get huge noticeable rips and tears.

Edit I just remebered ...if your monitor only supports 60hz .. you sometimes will noticed mouse lag. This is why alot of pro gamers still use CRT  because of the 85hz refresh rate and the minimal mouse lag with vsync on . I'm running @ 75hz maybe thats why I don't notice the mouse lag any. .hmmm.... I dunno .  :-\

« Last Edit: 11:13 PM - 01/01/10 by glenn37216 »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11:04 PM - 01/01/10 »
obviously running vsync is pointless to me now, but did anyone ever figure out a way to elminate the huge mouse lag caused by running games with vsync on?

Framerate lag? Mouse lag? What do you mean. I've always had it off in every game since unreal tournament 1.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:21 PM - 01/02/10 »
The vsync mouse lag thing has been going on for years and years.  If you aren't familiar with it and / or you don't notice it, then nevermind.  Glenn:  yes as a matter of fact it does cap out at 60hz.  I think it'll run at 75hz with lower res...or....somethin'.  I might check it out just to see if the lag is there.

mist4fun:  the vsync mouse lag thing creates about as much input lag as the first xim 1 did on the xbox.   So you can imagine, for pc games, it hurts quite a bit.  I don't use vsync because i just run most of my games like cod 4 and world at war, cod 2, quakes, etc whatever else at 125fps or higher.  At that game rate, it doubles over the refresh rate and makes it look smooth nearly as smooth as if I were running vsync on.  No tears/ripping.  There might be some ripping, but very very small amount and it happens so fast at that framerate, that it's very hard to notice. 

NOW THE PROBLEM:  MOdern warfare 2 is capped at 85fps.  My screen refeshes at 60hz.   At 85fps, it's not enough to double over the refresh rate obviously and there is a ton of tearing/ripping when I play mw2 without vsync on.  I can still play just fine and it's OK I guess, but it's just that it gets kinda annoying.  makes the game look like it's actually playing choppy when it's not.  I've had to run the fps overlay just to be sure the framerate wasn't dropping.  It wasn't.  Stayed right at that 85 fps area. 

Just to stop the noise:  If anyone is planning on making a post about the human eye and abilities to not see over 60fps and all of that noise, please don't post anything like that and go kill yourself instead.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:24 PM - 01/02/10 »

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_185.68_beta.html

I cleaned out my old drivers and installed these ones.  I played for about 10 minutes in mw2 before artifacting and locking up.  Then I rebooted and one of my 8800GTs weren't recognized.  So I had to take one out, boot, shutdown, reinstall the card, boot back up to recognize it.  Well it worked anyway.  I put back on the newer drivers I had before and played for like 2 hours before going to bed.  Never had an issue.  I guess it's just so finicky between the games, the drivers and the cards these days.  differernt versions of the same card work better with different drivers.  :p