XIM Community

[RESOLVED] USB cable issue or something else wrong?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Lethalinjection

• View Profile
I've had my XIM4 for maybe a week now and still trying to get everything fine tuned etc. This weekend I built a custom lap desk with cable management so that all cables are contained on the board and only a single USB cable is on the floor.

Last night I was playing COD BO3 on X1 with Party Chat etc. A couple of times the controller would blink and party chat would come through my surround sound speakers as if controller went from wired to wireless mode but I didn't unplug it.

I am using a Braided Play and Charge Cable for PS4 and Xbox One Controllers (PS4/Xbox One) - 4M/12FT that I got from Amazon as the included cable with XIM4 is at least 4ft short to reach my couch. I've read that 15-16ft should be max so I figured I would be fine with the cable I purchased. Any idea what might be happening? I put a link the cable I purchased below. I don't want to keep throwing money at different cables if that is not the problem however I didn't seem to have this issue with the 6ft cable that came with XIM4.

Anyone have/had a similar issues and can offer a solution I would appreciate it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010QCD9WW
« Last Edit: 10:18 AM - 11/10/15 by OBsIV »

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: USB cable issue or something else wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 10:36 AM - 11/09/15 »
Do you have issues with this setup when playing PS4? When the problem happened, do you notice any disruption in your aim (or was it only audio)?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Lethalinjection

• View Profile
Re: [ACTIVE] USB cable issue or something else wrong?
« Reply #2 on: 10:47 AM - 11/09/15 »
The game registered the controller connection was lost/unplugged. I don't have a PS4 only XBOX 1. My keyboard has lights on it which I will disable and the mouse lights. I read in the troubleshooting post to disable lighting etc. Maybe this is causing too much power draw or something with the longer cable?

Offline Lethalinjection

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:59 AM - 11/09/15 »
Ok, so I tested turning the keyboard lights off and played for nearly an hour. Just before I stopped playing the XIM4 rebooted essentially. It disconnected the devices did the startup lights flashing thing and was on profile 1 (Red Lights) and I was playing on profile 3 for COD (Yellow Lights).

I had to hit the hotkey to get back to profile 3 and XIM Manager appeared to switch to profile 2 during the "reboot" which I then exited since the XIM rebooted.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 12:01 PM - 11/09/15 »
Ok, I thought you had a PS4 since you said you had that cable.

If it's a 4M cable it's more than 13 feet long which is really pushing it. The problem is there will be a significant voltage drop at that distance.

Do you have and power outlets where you play?

Offline Lethalinjection

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:42 PM - 11/09/15 »
I have a few power outlets within maybe 6 ft of where I sit.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 01:16 PM - 11/09/15 »
You may want to try a powered hub. Do you need your XIM4 to be by you? If not, you can put your XIM4 by your console and then use a powered hub between your XIM4 and peripherals. You should be able to plug your controller into the hub too (although, we haven't tested that scenario much).

Offline Lethalinjection

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01:44 PM - 11/09/15 »
I will have to go purchase a powered USB Hub to test this unfortunately. I have a small cheap older usb hub with an optional power plug (sold separately) but I don't think I have anything that will fit it.

I currently have XIM "attached" to my lapdesk with the X1 Controller (pic below). I use elastic straps to hold them in place so they can't fall off the board and I can tuck this all away against a wall. I do need the controller nearby so I can use the chat headset and mute/unmute etc. I have pouches on the back that hold the bundled cables and a small pouch to put the mouse in when not in use. Which is why I liked the idea of only having a USB cable between the board and the X1.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 02:01 PM - 11/09/15 »
Oh yes, that's a nice setup. I'd try a low cost powered hub next.

Offline Lethalinjection

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:51 AM - 11/10/15 »
I tested having everything plugged into the old cheap hub and so far so good. I ordered a new amazon basics 3.0 hub to use. I will hopefully get some extra playtime tonight for a couple hours and be able to tell if the problem happens again or not. But it is looking like it was a voltage issue with the longer cable at this point.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 10:18 AM - 11/10/15 »
Great to hear it worked out -- thanks for letting us know.