XIM Community

Xim 3 Support on the Xbox One through Windows 10 via Xbox app  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Timmie 3000
For those of you with Windows 10, You can stream your Xbox One games straight from your Xbox One, to your Windows 10 PC. Windows 10 allows users to use the original Xbox 360 usb controller as an input device
to play their Xbox One games, in place of an actual Xbox One controller.

What does this mean?

-Instead of plugging your Xbox 360 controller into Windows 10.
Set up you Xim 3, and plug that into your Windows 10 PC. (Set up your Xim 3, as you would on the Xbox 360, but instead of plugging the Xim 3 into the Xbox 360, plug it into your Windows 10 PC)

-Windows 10 will detect the Xim 3 as a genuine Xbox 360 Controller. Just like the Xbox 360 detected your Xim 3 as a genuine Xbox 360 controller.

-Stream what ever game you own on the Xbox One, to your Windows 10 PC.

-While streaming your Xbox One game to yourWindows 10, Set up, and plug your Xim 3 into your Windows 10 PC. Windows 10 will allow you to use your Xim 3, as it simply thinks its a Xbox 360 Controller.

-Be prepared to modify the hell out of your current configs, as the Next Gen games are not quite identical to their Last Gen counterparts. The smart translators work perfectly, you will probably need to re-map a bunch of buttons for many of your configs though.

Also, this works for Xim Edge too!
Hopefully I'm not the only one that figured this out. That would be very ignorant for me to even think. I just haven't seen a similar post. So just trying to spread the word.
« Last Edit: 09:32 AM - 11/11/15 by Timmie3054 »

Offline mikael

• MVP
    • View Profile
Did you try it yourself or you just read about it somewhere? If you actually tried it, did you notice any input lag? How bad is it?

Offline ELMTxVash

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Vashectomy
I knew there had to be a way to do this...but i didnt know you could use 360 controllers haha I was going to try to find a way to authenticate it with an xbox one controller...actually my original thought was i could use ahk to remap my buttons for gears of war(alternate sucks but i need it..just not with x and a haha)..but i never tried it

Offline heymoe99

• View Profile
Nice.
Now they just need to stream to the PC and watch TV on the Xbox One at the same time...
You can stream TV to devices and play on the Xbox One, but not the other way around.

Offline Duhchi

• Game Reviewer / Librarian
    • View Profile
Thank you for this info. I've been messing with this combo and I'll share with you my best set up using this method.

Stream game to monitor one with xim3 set up. Set stream quality to lowest.
Hook xb1 up to monitor one with HDMI cord and switch signal to HDMI (assuming you use DVI for normal computer input)
Hook headphones into monitor.
Watch college football on second monitor.

Now you have a working xim3 with the best image quality possible rather than the streamed quality and input delay is a little bit better than the streamed input. The highest quality for streaming still is kind of meh when things are moving fast so this method gives you the best of both worlds.

The only thing that stinks about this method is that you can't get audio from the computer so I can't listen to music from pc or listen to the football game while mixing all the audio of the xb1 streaming app like I can when using the streaming function. Also muting your mic isn't as easy if you can't see the stream overlay with the silly button they give you to mute the mic (hopefully they get some kind of hotkey to mute mic with the xbox app in the future.) Using the mic that comes with the xb1 might work in the 360 controller but I haven't tried it yet.

Once again thank you OP for posting about this. I bought an xb1 for my gf to play fallout but now I think I'll be using it too. I even upgraded to windows 10 just to try this haha.

Offline nex86

• View Profile
Hi guys, I have a question about this process.  I've been able to do this just fine but I was wondering if there was a way to toggle right mouse button so that if your playing a game like call of duty that requires you to hold left trigger to aim down the sights.  I used to use xemulate or ximcommander to acomplish this on 360 but if you use either one of those applications with this method you cant get back into your stream.  Any help would be appreciated thx.

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
Did you try it yourself or you just read about it somewhere? If you actually tried it, did you notice any input lag? How bad is it?

Yes I have tried this, and I have not experience any sort of input lag. If anything there may be less input lag than you might expect from a Xim3 hooked up to a Xbox 360. As I believe you need to set your polling rate very low when you use the xim3 with the Xbox 360.

I don't belelive this is the case anymore with the Windows 10 streaming. Unless the polling rate had to be bottlenecked by either the Xim, Xbox 360 controller, or the actual Xbox, then theoretically you should be able to enable a much higher polling rate when you hook the Xim up to your Windows 10 PC.

Also, I have to note, I only tried this with a direct wired internet connect straight from my laptop to xbox. So I was never expecting any sort of input lag. People might experience some input lag if they don't properly set up there streaming network. If you stream wireless from both PC and Xbox, I would probably expect some input lag. But again, Ive never tried that, so I cant comment on that.

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
Hi guys, I have a question about this process.  I've been able to do this just fine but I was wondering if there was a way to toggle right mouse button so that if your playing a game like call of duty that requires you to hold left trigger to aim down the sights.  I used to use xemulate or ximcommander to acomplish this on 360 but if you use either one of those applications with this method you cant get back into your stream.  Any help would be appreciated thx.

If your using a virtual emulator, your going to want to find a way to keep the Xbox Stream in focus. You essentially need to fool your pc into thinking the Xbox Stream is actually the active window.  I saw some tutorials on youtube about this issue. I cant seem to recall them. Try searching for them. I remember someone was able to make a macro that kept his stream in the active window while he used his mouse and keyboard to play.

Offline dtread

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: eepr0m
I havent used my xim3 in a long time. I just got an xb 1  and noticed this thread. When i plug everything up to the xim, it shows mouse, keyboard and controller connected and my windows 10 shows xbox360 controller connected. Once i start streaming the game it does not get any movement in the game. THe xim3 shows input but nothing happens on screen. I can also manipulate the controller and the xim3 shows input but again nothing on screen (in game).  Any suggestions to what I might be doing wrong? 

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
I havent used my xim3 in a long time. I just got an xb 1  and noticed this thread. When i plug everything up to the xim, it shows mouse, keyboard and controller connected and my windows 10 shows xbox360 controller connected. Once i start streaming the game it does not get any movement in the game. THe xim3 shows input but nothing happens on screen. I can also manipulate the controller and the xim3 shows input but again nothing on screen (in game).  Any suggestions to what I might be doing wrong?

This seems to be an issue related to windows 10, and not the Xim it self.

If your able to manipulate the controller and you don't see any movement in game, but you do see the Xim3 actually showing movement. Then there could be 1 of 2 things going on. Your Windows 10 has not detected or installed the proper drivers. Or you have another controller plugged in your PC, or Xbox One that has taken full priority of the game. Aka the Player one position.

On your Xbox 360 controller, does the first quarter of the green light surrounding the guide button stay solid? or does the second quarter stay solid (indicating its player 2).

Regardless what player position the controller may be in, you should still be able to interact with the Xbox one via the xbox 360 controller. Press the guide button a couple times. If the guide button works, then there is no issue with the Xim3 set up. As you should be freely able to navigate the Xbox One dashboard/guide withe the Xim3. Although once you got back into what ever game you were playing, and you still see no movement. Then this means the game is treating your controller as player 2.

An easy easy way to force player 2, to player 1. Would be to turn on the main controller for your Xbox One, and confirm moment is working inside of a game with the main controller. Then just take out your battery forcing the controller to disconnect. The game will then realize the controller is disconnected and prompt you to connect a controller. Simply press any button on your Xbox 360 controller. Your Xim3/Xbox360 controller connected via the Windows 10 Xbox Streaming app should become player 1 now in the game Your playing on the Xbox one.

Offline dtread

• View Profile

This seems to be an issue related to windows 10, and not the Xim it self.

If your able to manipulate the controller and you don't see any movement in game, but you do see the Xim3 actually showing movement. Then there could be 1 of 2 things going on. Your Windows 10 has not detected or installed the proper drivers. Or you have another controller plugged in your PC, or Xbox One that has taken full priority of the game. Aka the Player one position.

On your Xbox 360 controller, does the first quarter of the green light surrounding the guide button stay solid? or does the second quarter stay solid (indicating its player 2).

Regardless what player position the controller may be in, you should still be able to interact with the Xbox one via the xbox 360 controller. Press the guide button a couple times. If the guide button works, then there is no issue with the Xim3 set up. As you should be freely able to navigate the Xbox One dashboard/guide withe the Xim3. Although once you got back into what ever game you were playing, and you still see no movement. Then this means the game is treating your controller as player 2.

An easy easy way to force player 2, to player 1. Would be to turn on the main controller for your Xbox One, and confirm moment is working inside of a game with the main controller. Then just take out your battery forcing the controller to disconnect. The game will then realize the controller is disconnected and prompt you to connect a controller. Simply press any button on your Xbox 360 controller. Your Xim3/Xbox360 controller connected via the Windows 10 Xbox Streaming app should become player 1 now in the game Your playing on the Xbox one.

This is what I was also thinking because the xim3 controller shows in p1 position, and hitting guide button does actually work in game.. i will try taking battery out and forcing it to disconnect. Ty very much for your response.

Offline dtread

• View Profile
Thanks, thats exactly what it was. Disconnected main controller and was then able to use the xim3 inputs. Played several games, seems to work just fine.

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
For anyone else curious to give this a try, I made a simple diagram photo that shows how to properly set up the Xim3 with the Xbox One, via the Windows 10 Streaming App.

Connecting both your Xbox One and Windows 10 PC directly to your router via an Ethernet Cable individually, will also work. Although I've tried this with 2 different routers, and I received very noticeable input/feedback lag with the Xim3 when doing so.

I do not receive any input/feedback lag when I connect the the Xbox One to my Windows 10 Notebook directly with an Ethernet cable. I use my notebooks Wi-fi connection as a bridge to provide Internet for the Xbox One. I'm able to stream the Xbox One on my Windows 10 Notebook at the very high streaming quality selected without any input/feedback lag using the Xim3 what so ever. I can also record the stream at the highest quality setting, and even have background recording enabled without any sort of input/feedback lag.

Offline dtread

• View Profile
I have my xbox directly wired to router, but my pic is wireless.. its also 2 feet from the router. I can stream on the max quality without any input lag at all. Infact, ive got the xbox on hdmi cable with one monitor, win10 on the other... so i actually watch the xbox feed when im playing.

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
I have my xbox directly wired to router, but my pic is wireless.. its also 2 feet from the router. I can stream on the max quality without any input lag at all. Infact, ive got the xbox on hdmi cable with one monitor, win10 on the other... so i actually watch the xbox feed when im playing.

Hmm... thats good to know, Again, I've only tried it with 2 routers, one is pretty old, and the other is decently newer. Its also worth noting, if you are going to be playing over your actual network, you will notice a big hit in performance, and that goes across your whole network. Having the stream quality set at very high settings will have your router transferring close, or over a hundred gb of data from your pc to xbox, and thats only with about 3-5 hours of gameplay. You can confirm this by checking your bandwith usage in the Xbox One Network settings.

Also, you say your able to watch the Xbox Feed on the Windows 10 PC?, this means your not using the Windows 10 Stream as your main display to play correct? Your essentially playing on the main xbox one screen, and watching the Xbox One Stream on the monitor next to it.

I would not expect much input/feed lag when you are playing on the main Xbox One Display, although, if you were to actually play with the Windows 10 stream, and not the original Xbox One display. You should definitely notice a bit of stuttering, and lag, when you are playing on the very high streaming settings. Its even more pronounced if you turn on the DVR and record at the highest settings, and have background recording enabled. The input/feedback lag is not with the Xim3 it self. Its just general lag with stream,, that will make the Xim3 unusable, but this is why I my self play with my Xbox Ones original Display, not the Windows 10 Stream.

Its nice to have the stream on very high, because you can record up to 2 hours of gameplay. Its just not possible to try and use the windows 10 Streaming window to actually play. You need to play on the Xbox One Original Display.