XIM Community

My new 5.1 headphones  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
My new 5.1 headphones
« on: 02:11 PM - 12/21/09 »
I was wrong.  Yes, I know... it happens to the best of us.

I got into an e-argument quite a while back on here with some guy who basically trashed the Triton AX Pros (which I had been using along with several other people who love them).  He swore up and down that the Mixamp with a good set of headphones would be better.

I tried out the Mixamp, but I guess I did so on a @#$% pair of headphones.  As such, at the time, I told the guy he was crazy.

So, I got the MixAmp as a graduation gift from a friend.  I have a $100 giftcard laying around for the Apple Store so I bought a pair of Bose around the ear headphones.  I know, these aren't THAT great (especially for the money), but they only cost me $40 so I got them.

The Mixamp + Bose Headphones absolutely trounces my Triton's in terms of sound quality.  The positioning on the Triton's might be like %1-%2 better but jesus, the clarity, crispness, and so forth more than makes up for it.  I can hear guys coming from a much further distance than before and everything just sounds richer, deeper, fuller, cleaner... its so hard to explain other than its @#$% magical.

As for music and movies, its not even close - the Mixamp + Bose are better.

So, whoever that guy is... I apologize.  I was wrong (sort of).  I still stand by my argument that the Triton's might have slightly better positional sound (its really negligible if it exists) but the other stuff is way in favor of the Astro Mixamp.  However, for the price... I think both headsets are awesome.  The Mixamp route is a $250 investment.  The Triton's are half that.

Offline Guncom

• Don't Cry...
    • View Profile
Re: My new 5.1 headphones
« Reply #1 on: 02:29 PM - 12/21/09 »
Just got my Trittons and i can say about the same thing.  I'm more of a position guy and the help a good deal with sound direction with the mixamp.  Quality is a good deal less crisp but you can still pick out a guy running around with Ninja on if you turn it up a bit, specially useful in search.  I also have a pair of Sennheiser PC-165's that i use for more casual listening and gaming, and those have a superior sound quality but again... directionality is more of a best guess situation.
« Last Edit: 10:56 PM - 12/21/09 by Guncom »

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:36 AM - 12/22/09 »
That was xav.  And I definitely chimed in too. ;)

Glad to see you finally "heard" the truth.  LOL ;D

Offline xavier_s37

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:30 AM - 12/22/09 »
glad you saw the light brotha..... the axpros arnt bad, but like i said then, and ill say again now, you get what you pay for.

Offline buds

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:28 PM - 12/22/09 »
Another thumbs up for xav! I took his advice and loving my mixamp with the ADH-700. Hope you enjoy the new setup dude.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:23 PM - 12/22/09 »
Another thumbs up for xav! I took his advice and loving my mixamp with the ADH-700. Hope you enjoy the new setup dude.

This is exactly what I'm hoping to get for Christmas.  Good to hear you love it!

Offline mbliss984

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:46 PM - 12/23/09 »
My setup i love:

pc gaming

PC toslink -> Headroom micro DAC -> Headroom micro amp -> Ultrasone HFI-780

xbox gaming

xbox hdmi -> tv toslink -> receiver toslink -> Headroom micro DAC -> Headroom micro amp -> Sennheiser 555

I will replace the ultrasone's with the sennheiser's if im gaming for a while. They hurt my ears after a bit but @#$% they sound fantastic. I run the DAC to the receiver on the TV because i'm lazy and don't like messing with the rats nest behind the tv.

Anyways I highly recommend a decent DAC and headphone amp if you have the money to blow ;)

Offline Voli

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:26 AM - 12/25/09 »
Question. I'm assuming it's best to plug the RCA cables directly into the mixamp, as apposed to the PC first? I will definitely miss being able to easily swap between headphones and speakers on PC (for last.fm and other things)

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:34 AM - 12/25/09 »
Anyone know if there's an advantage to using toslink or the RCA cables?  I'd like to keep using my VGA adapter and plug in the RCAs, but if it costs me proper sound positioning, then I guess I'll work out another solution.

Offline mbliss984

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:00 AM - 12/25/09 »
Well the advantage to toslink is you are able to keep bit perfect sound. A good DAC will convert the digital (bits) to analog (sound waves) without degradation. Not sure about RCA, never really dove into that area. For example I am able to get bit perfect sound out of the xbox because im using hdmi out to the tv, all bit perfect till it hits the DAC.

To be honest you probably won't notice a big difference when it comes to sound positioning if you were to switch to toslink or RCA. It will be "clearer" and have a better sound quality though, especially if you have very good headphones.

Offline xavier_s37

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:00 PM - 12/25/09 »
for surround sound, general rule....

RCA=bad
toslink=good

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:07 PM - 12/25/09 »
I got the ATH-AD700s today, but no mixamp, so I'm trying to figure out my options.  I like running the Xbox sound through my computer, but I feel as though there's advantages to the mixamp.

And until I can hear them side-by-side I really won't know for sure.

Offline Shrimpanzee

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Shrimpanzee
« Reply #12 on: 06:40 PM - 12/25/09 »
The only advantage that I'm aware of is that the mixamp has the ability to control voice volume separate from game volume.

Also, RCA does not provide surround sound.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08:53 PM - 12/25/09 »
I didn't realize that the VGA adapter had the toslink optical audio on it (just looked at it).  Sweet, looks like I'll be set to go once I get the mixamp! :D

Offline mbliss984

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09:50 PM - 12/25/09 »
What mixamp are you all talking about? I'm curious to know what kind of hardware is behind this thing... Funny thing is high quality capacitors make a big difference with audio equipment.

Admin