XIM Community

Using XIM 4 for both the PS4 and XBOX One  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Bytales

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: bytales
Using XIM 4 for both the PS4 and XBOX One
« on: 11:36 AM - 06/14/15 »
So i got me an XIM4 as i have always wanted to play on PS4 using keyboard and mouse.
I currently use a razer naga HEX and a Orbweaver mechanical gaming pad. Works wonders in destiny.

However i am planning on getting a XBOX one Master chief Edition, and i would like to use XIM4 with the XBOX one as well.
You would say, no problem, just unplug the stuff from the PS4 and plug it to the XBOX.

Would it be possible to have it all together hooked up and use a USB switch to do the swithing, me not needing to plug unplug the cables from the back ?

Here is what i had in mind !
SW=Switch, XBOX C = controller, you get it.

So then i could have the switcher near my desktop and just press 2 buttons to switch the cables. Would it work ?
Has any one else done this ?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Using XIM 4 for both the PS4 and XBOX One
« Reply #1 on: 12:20 PM - 06/14/15 »
I use an IOGear 4x4 USB switch to share the Xim4 between PS3, PS4, 360 and XB1. Mileage may vary in terms of power draw of mouse and keyboard, which can cause Xim disconnects, so consider plugging a powered USB hub into the Xim for the m, kb, or both.

You might need to use one controller plugged into the Xim rather than two behind a switch. If you're sitting at a desk for m/kb play, the switch is somewhat redundant given you use the same USB cable for PS4 and XB1 and can simply swap the controller.

That said, I believe the next firmware release will support cross-controller support (DualShock 4 on XB1 and vise-versa), so that switch may not be needed at all. I'm sure someone else will verify.

Finally, perhaps remove the battery from the XB1 controller. Leaving it in can cause connection issues. It works fine without a battery, drawing power from the Xim via the USB cable.
« Last Edit: 01:36 AM - 06/17/15 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Bytales

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:00 PM - 06/14/15 »
How do you use a single switch ? Since there are 2 splittings to be done !
Could you draw me a skema of how you wired the stuff up ?

I cannot imagine how would i connect a hub to give more power to mouse and keyboard ! Since the keyboard and mouse have their dedicated ports ? Are you suggesting connecting a powered hub to either the mouse or keyboard slot and in the hub both the mouse and keyboard ?

I wish there would be a XIM5 with dedicated power with built in 4 way switch, and dedicated slots to wire everthing up and you would just need to pres a button to select the console !

Perhaps they will make that in 10 years !

Offline PegasusActual

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:11 PM - 06/16/15 »

That said, I believe the next firmware release will support cross-controller support (DualShock 4 on XB1 and vise-versa), so that switch not be needed at all. I'm sure someone else will verify.
After trying it, and asking about it in the RC 20150606 thread I don't think that's how it works. I think it just means you can plug those controllers into the kb/m ports and use them, you still need the controller for the system you are using plugged into port 3. So not a feature for this scenario unfortunately :(

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 06:46 PM - 06/16/15 »
How do you use a single switch ? Since there are 2 splittings to be done !
Could you draw me a skema of how you wired the stuff up ?
You don't need a switch for the XB1 and PS4 controllers. That may not work at all given the controller needs to authenticate itself and the switch may interfere with that. As mentioned, just leave the USB cable connected and swap the controllers...simples.

So that leaves this scenario -

XB1----USB----\                                          /----MOUSE
                       |----SWITCH---------XIM4----|----CONTROLLER
PS4-----USB---/                                          \----KEYBOARD

I cannot imagine how would i connect a hub to give more power to mouse and keyboard ! Since the keyboard and mouse have their dedicated ports ? Are you suggesting connecting a powered hub to either the mouse or keyboard slot and in the hub both the mouse and keyboard ?

The powered HUB connects to the mouse port on the Xim4. You can then plug in the mouse, keyboard or both, plus additional USB devices like memory sticks.

I use my hub to power a temperamental Razer Ouroboros mouse that won't work in wired mode when connected direct to the Xim, as well as to connect a Stinkyboard. I've left my kb plugged into the Xim.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Bytales

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:11 PM - 08/13/15 »
Well, i have tried to wire stuff up according to my schema and it doesnt work.

First of all the hub that does the switching for the console lights up and works, the one that does the switching for the controllers doesnt work.,

ALso, the XIM gets stuck in rainbow mode.

Well, i guess i knew it was a long shot making it work like so.

Since now i need to go to work, i will do some testing this satruday. Perhaps i can keep one switch, the one that connects to consolles and swap the controllers like you said, i still ne to test if that works. Cause i got a feeling it might not.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 09:48 AM - 08/14/15 »
You'll need to ensure the USB device hot swapping feature is enabled in your Config (under "...").
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Stephan70

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Stephan70
  • PSN ID: Stephan70
« Reply #7 on: 02:21 PM - 08/14/15 »
What if you use a USB 2.0 extension cable from both systems.  You can  have the 2 or 3 or 4 (depending on how many systems you have) and have the USB extension cables close to the XIM4 and plug the XIM4 to the extension cable connected to the system you want to play?  I have 3 systems and I just move the XIM4 to the system I want to play.  But, If I ran some USB 2.0 extensions from each system to my desk, I wont have to go behind the systems anymore...  Will this work?  Sorry if someone all ready posted this...  And if this works, what the longest I can extend the USB cable from the XIM4 to the system?  6 foot extension or maybe 15 feet extra?  Thanks In advance....

Offline Bytales

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:48 AM - 08/16/15 »
You'll need to ensure the USB device hot swapping feature is enabled in your Config (under "...").

I'm using the Android client to configure XIM, where would this setting be ?

Oh, I found it, but I cannot enable it.