XIM Community

[RESOLVED] XIM4 Recognized as Input Device on Android  (Read 1213 times)

Offline gabotron

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: gabtronixx
Hi, I just got a new Android phone which is exactly like this (Kata i3s).

I can pair the XIM4 via Bluetooth without issues, but whenever I launch XIM4 Manager, I get stuck on the screen with the spinning crosshair. It doesn't get to the main screen at all where I can add and download the ST's.

I also noticed something in the Bluetooth settings of the phone. It recognizes the XIM4 as a keyboard. As a result, my Android keyboard is replaced by the XIM4 after successful pairing. I also can't type on the phone since the system assumes that the XIM4 is the external keyboard.

Is this something that can be fixed by XIM4 through a future firmware?

I'm currently back to using my tablet (LG G Pad 8.3 V500, Android 4.4.2, Kernel 3.4.0). I have no issues with the tablet, but I don't have much space for it in my setup.

Kata i3s Specs:
Specifications
Processor: MTK 6582 Quad Core 1.3GHz
GPU: Mali-400 MP
Display: 5.0-inch, 1280*720
Operating System: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
RAM: 1GB
Storage: 16GB
Power and Battery: 2250mAh Li-Ion
Wifi 802.1.1 b/g/n
Bluetooth 4.0
Kernel version: 3.4.67

XIM4 Firmware: 20141114
XIM4 Manager: 20141114
« Last Edit: 09:53 AM - 05/06/15 by mist4fun »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: [Android] XIM4 Recognized as Input Device
« Reply #1 on: 10:52 AM - 05/05/15 »
Hmm, that's very odd that it show up as a keyboard and actually disable your keyboard -- I've never heard of that.

Are you using any sort of Android mod?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline gabotron

• View Profile
Re: [ACTIVE] XIM4 Recognized as Input Device on Android
« Reply #2 on: 10:59 PM - 05/05/15 »
I'm using the factory default Android that shipped with the product. It's listed as Kata-i3s-8071-V1.0.13.

The only change I made was root the phone via USB using iRoot. Then I changed the default launcher to a 3rd party one (Nova Launcher).

I'm not sure how this is related to getting stuck at the spinning crosshair of XIM4 Manager, though. I can pair the XIM4 fine.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 12:14 AM - 05/06/15 »
The spinning crosshair may be related. Could you go into Settings -> Applications. Then, in the All tab find Bluetooth Services and clear its cache and data, and then force stop it. Then reboot your phone and re-pair (make sure "XIM4" isn't in the list before you do this).
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline gabotron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:49 AM - 05/06/15 »
I also did that, OBsIV, but I get the same result when I pair the XIM4 again. I also paired it with my old phone, a Lenovo P770. It was never paired with the XIM4 before. Same result, tt detected the XIM4 as an input device/keyboard.

I just did one more test. The input device seems to be the culprit as to why I get stuck on the crosshair screen.

The input device can actually be disabled by unchecking it, as seen below:

Unchecking it disconnected the XIM4 entirely. When I tapped on the XIM4 from the phone's Bluetooth settings to re-connect it, the input device check mark was back.

So I did one reboot. Then I turned off Bluetooth switch and turned it on again. Then finally, I unchecked the input device again.

Currently, I can completely load XIM4 Manager on the Kata i3s. However, I'm not sure if the changes I make will be saved since the Bluetooth settings on the phone doesn't state that the XIM4 is connected.

XIM4 Manager only loads when it detects an active Bluetooth connection, right? Otherwise, it times out?

I have yet to test it on the PS4 and see if the changes I make are reflected.

I also had my ST's from my tablet restored on the phone automatically probably because I enabled Automatically restore app settings on my Google Account.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:34 AM - 05/06/15 »
That is strange, thank you for reporting it. Its seen as an input device on two different phones? Is your lenovo p770 rooted with a custom launcher as well?

Your configs are stored on your XIM4 so you can see and configure them on any device with a compatible Manager.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline gabotron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:51 AM - 05/06/15 »
Update:
I was able to test it on the PS4: the entire setup with the controller, KB, mouse, Kata i3s phone, XIM4. I played The Order:1886 for a few minutes, changed some keys on the XIM4 Manager, and saw the changes reflect in-game. My issue is resolved now. Indeed, the input device detection was the culprit.

I think this happens on other Android phones as well. My LG G Pad tablet doesn't detect the XIM4 as an input device/keyboard, by the way.

---------------------

@mist4fun,

Yes, the XIM4 was seen as an input device on both phones. The Lenovo P770 was not rooted and has the default launcher that came with it (a custom Lenovo launcher).

Oh, so that's why my configs were restored automatically. Thanks for the info.

Admin