XIM Community

My G502 and Sony Nav setup (UPDATED 4/23/15)  (Read 10085 times)

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
My G502 and Sony Nav setup (UPDATED 4/23/15)
« on: 08:23 PM - 04/17/15 »
What's up everyone, just thought I'd share my setup and explain my choices. Why? Because I remember being new here once and something like this would've really helped me and Nav users need a little love.

"Turn Assist" anyone?  :P

I choose Nav instead of keyboard because my back ground is in console gaming and not PC. I gave the KB a try and it just doesn't appeal to me. I also play from my recliner (haha) so I'm not always sitting at attention while gaming (I prefer comfort & Chillin)  8). I've been using the Nav and G502 since the mouse came out and man have I tried a freakin ton of different setups. I'm very ANAL about my setup and if you don't believe me take a look at my Hardline and Destiny setups in XIM4 game support. Anyways, my point is, I've probably "Been there and done that" when it comes to Nav and G502 setup. That being said, everyone has their own preferences, that's a given. But as I've learned over the last few years around here it's always nice to see others Ideas, etc. and it can be very helpful. So here's my setup. I've added all the button assignments from XIM manager and LGS. I've also added the button code, so you can simply copy/paste to HIP if you wish.

Universal Hip button layout - Used for Destiny, BF4, Hardline and COD games.
Code: [Select]
>>> XIM4 START Paste >>>
X4BP:4001A010A004400863408101400240106401A0088001800280088004812081108104
X4BS:00000000000000000000000000000000640463800000000000000000000000000000
<<< XIM4 END   Paste <<<

If I could offer any advice it would be Three main things.
1.) Find a good setup and stick to it! I've screwed myself countless times by rearranging buttons, (again, because I'm Anal) always looking for the perfect combination lol.
2.) Find a setup that works for your "Core" games and also works for menu navigation. It sucks trying to learn new controls. You need a Universal setup. It's enough to learn new games, behaviors, etc. don't slow down your learning curve by having to learn a new button layout as well.
3.) Change button layouts for the games to match each other whenever possible. For example, I use "Green Thumb" for Destiny because it mirrors my Hardline layout. This is especially important for menu navigation. If you don't mirror your controls you will struggle with menu's.

This setup is based off of those Three Core values. My Core games are COD, BF and Destiny. So I looked at what I needed to really enjoy those games the most. A few things stood out to me.

COD - I wanted it to be really easy to do Drop shots and Jump shots.
Destiny - I needed a button I could "Easily" hold to Run because I use a Sub-Config with "Hold" behavior for faster turning.
BF - I wanted X (reload) assigned to a hold able button for weapon pickups and other actions.
All - I wanted a hold able button for a Long Range Sniping Sub-Config.
All - I wanted Melee to be quick and easy.
All - I wanted "A" and "B" buttons to be very intuitive for Menu navigation.

So... after countless hrs. of trial and error, this is where I'm at. If my trials can save anyone half the trouble I went through then this post was well worth the effort.

A Couple of notes:
- Don't forget to setup all your buttons like I did in LGS or the setup may not work as intended.
- This is for Xbox One but should work for PS4 if you flip bumpers with triggers.
- You have to set the games up as follow, BF - Default button layout, COD - Default button layout, Destiny - Green Thumb button layout.
- If you're using any of my Advanced setups, then secondary button mapping will vary by game. Sub Configs, other then ADS will also vary by game.

Peace!

Here are some links to other Setups I use.

Hardline Advanced Setup - http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=39948.0

Destiny Advanced Setup - http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=39989.0
« Last Edit: 09:32 PM - 04/25/15 by RML »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: My G502 and Sony Nav setup
« Reply #1 on: 09:17 PM - 04/17/15 »
how well does the following situation work out with your setup?

- jump while aiming + shooting
basically jump and shooting alone

both are set to two mouse buttons right next to each other
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline RML

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:48 PM - 04/17/15 »
^ It's a very smooth transition between K3 and LC because they're the same hieght. They nearly feel like the same button. Once you get used to the G502 you can actually use one finger to jump and fire simultaneously if you want.  ;)

Good question, thanks Od1n.
« Last Edit: 09:56 PM - 04/17/15 by RML »

Offline sbc2k1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:16 PM - 04/17/15 »

It works great. Your thumb jumps and your pointer shoots so you can do it simultaneously. I would use 'f' to jump because my thumb rests on 'f'. I use a similar setup and don't need to move any fingers to hit any common buttons. They all rest on the used buttons meaning fast response. It's my favorite combo by far.

This setup also uses the same finger movements as a controller does.

Left pointer = ads
Right pointer = fire
Left thumb = movement
Right thumb = jump
Etc.

All of these are the same for controller.

Edit:

Ignore all this. I use a different setup.
« Last Edit: 08:37 PM - 04/19/15 by sbc2k1 »
BFH

Offline RML

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:07 PM - 04/19/15 »

Here's a clip from a match where you can see I use Jump a lot when shooting. I'm using both techniques, Fire and Jump simultaneously and jump and fire individually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOfezV6wFYA&feature=youtu.be

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:30 PM - 04/19/15 »
ahhh you use the thumb to jump, then ofc it all works out :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline RML

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:38 PM - 04/19/15 »

sbc does, I Do Not! I use the same finger for jumping and firing. That's the beauty of the G502! It's almost like cheating TBH. Once you get used to it anyways.

Offline sbc2k1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:34 PM - 04/19/15 »

sbc does, I Do Not! I use the same finger for jumping and firing. That's the beauty of the G502! It's almost like cheating TBH. Once you get used to it anyways.

I thought you were using a side button. I misinterpreted the setup and I sold my 502 a long time ago so I forgot those are the dpi shift buttons on top or whatever.  That is crazy, I don't understand how it could work.  To each their own.  One finger for two frequently used actions is a bad thing in my opinion.

You crazy RML!
« Last Edit: 10:35 PM - 04/19/15 by sbc2k1 »
BFH

Offline RML

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:02 AM - 04/20/15 »
You crazy RML!

Yep, pretty much! Lol ... But as you can see in the video, it works for me!  ;)

« Last Edit: 01:16 PM - 04/23/15 by RML »

Offline BuryUrDad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01:08 AM - 04/23/15 »
I am using the analogue Stick of the Nav atm for moving (strafing) which works pretty well if you lower the settings for Joystick to 5000. I setup "Run" with the J1 (digital button forward). At the beginning of my tests I was able to run just with moving the analogue stick forward. Now I can't get this back again. I needed to setup another button and I don't have much left as a lefthand in my setup with my mouse :) Anybody succeed to get this analogue forward running?

Offline RML

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01:23 PM - 04/23/15 »
^ What game were you testing it on?

After getting back to Destiny for a bit now, I've decided to chg. things up a bit to be a little more intuitive. I guess in my many experiments I've lost some simplicity along the way.
« Last Edit: 03:35 PM - 04/23/15 by RML »

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
« Reply #11 on: 01:49 PM - 04/23/15 »

After getting back to Destiny for a bit now, I've decided to chg. things up a bit to be a little more intuitive. I guess in my many experiments I've lost some simplicity along  :Pthe way.

As I've said several times before, your setup is absolutely bonkers lol, but if it's working for you, why change it?

Offline nyder

• Homo homini lupus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02:17 PM - 04/23/15 »
I use the ps3 nav and a g700 mouse and my setup is very similar to RML's.

I play COD AW and I have one issue, I use j7 to move around, and have hard time staifing right to left.  I'ts making me wanna dump the nav (which i like and have 2] for a Orbsweaver or something.

I also use L2 to ADS and J9 to jump, not really ideal I guess for jump shots.

Nyd
Console: Xbox Series X - XIM APEX - Sony  Nav - Mouse: Logitech G502 Wireless - Headset: Steelseries Arctis 9X - Monitor: BenQ EX2780Q - Mouse Pad: Logitech G440

Offline RML

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: My G502 and Sony Nav setup (UPDATED 4/23/15)
« Reply #13 on: 04:48 PM - 04/23/15 »
Updated OP!

Offline BuryUrDad

• View Profile
Re: My G502 and Sony Nav setup (UPDATED 4/23/15)
« Reply #14 on: 01:40 AM - 04/24/15 »
I am using the analogue Stick of the Nav atm for moving (strafing) which works pretty well if you lower the settings for Joystick to 5000. I setup "Run" with the J1 (digital button forward). At the beginning of my tests I was able to run just with moving the analogue stick forward. Now I can't get this back again. I needed to setup another button and I don't have much left as a lefthand in my setup with my mouse :) Anybody succeed to get this analogue forward running?
Destiny!