XIM Community

XIM2 is not working on my PC.  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Kraxis

• View Profile
XIM2 is not working on my PC.
« on: 08:53 PM - 12/07/09 »
So I did a search on the support forums and found people who suffered from similar problems, but not the exact one Im having.

My PC is a laptop with Vista 32.

I installed the XIM2 and everything was working great until after I configured it a few times then it crashed and would not start up again. So this is the story of what I did next.

So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it using the XIM360install-r091108b file.
I then ran into the siUSBXp.dll problem with the reinstall, but eventually got past that. The end result was that whenever I ran the XIM the program would freeze right from the start. The commands ctrl-enter and ctrl esc would do nothing, I actually had to go into task manager and shut it down. I uninstalled and reinstalled about 15 times, with teh same result every time.

So this time after I uninstalled it I ran the XIM360install-r051509 file. I had no problems with the install. Sadly, it did not work. The program just froze when I started it up, still could not use the commands ctrl-enter or ctrl-esc. However I could click on the X and the prompt would say "Shutting down" and then it would crash, something it never did with the previous version installed.

Anyone got any ideas or do I have this dreaded "XP bug" that Tweak had mentioned before?

The only errors I ever got were 401 and 402, but neither appear in the command screen of the XIM.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
Re: XIM2 is not working on my PC.
« Reply #1 on: 11:00 PM - 12/07/09 »
Some people blame their USB port/bus. Try a port on another bus. Ports are usually paired per bus. Also make sure your pugged directly into a port and not through a hub or a keyboard.

If you've done all of the above try uninstalling everything and going through the process again. If your still having issue we will need some more info about your setup. (make sure to let us know if it works again after install; even temporarily)

Offline Kraxis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:45 PM - 12/07/09 »
TO OMGsus, I have tried multiple ports/buses. I do not use a hub, or use a USB port in a keyboard.

I have not had any success even temporary after about 30 installs, no joke.

Since my last post I have tried installing XIM on 2 other computers, both with Vista64, and in both cases I was unable to calibrate the controllers (when it got to that point in the install I just hit the X, mind you I gave it a good 20 mins to try and config and to no avail). After the failure to config on both PCs I tried again using the calibrate.exe and it did not work.

However, on the Vista64 PCs the program was running and responding to commands such as ctrl-ent and ctrl esc, along with showing the movements of my mouse on the Xbox image. Although, I when its run on my Vista32 it shows a 401 error. My guess is that Im able to enter commands, see movement responses of my mouse and the 401 is because its not crashing instantly.

My conclusion is that since I cannot calibrate the controller and Im getting the 401 there must be some internal error with the controller itself. That would explain why it suffered a freak crash and stopped working entirely.

On a related note, when you plug the XIM USB cable into your PC during the calibrate phase of installation (or post install config) doesnt it make some kind of noise, or some popup generally appear on the screen saying "Detected new hardware device blah blah blah"? Cus if so mine stopped doing that whenever I plugged in the XIM USB.
« Last Edit: 12:29 AM - 12/08/09 by Kraxis »

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #3 on: 12:21 AM - 12/08/09 »
Just to make sure the hardware is OK, you said the vista64 system was working fine?

Also, was the non working vista32 system bundled with a system? (hp or dell?) There are several fixes, I just want to make sure I work on the right one.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:21 AM - 12/08/09 »
Have you successfully calibrated your unit?

It won't play without a calibration file.

Offline Kraxis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:27 AM - 12/08/09 »
Have you successfully calibrated your unit?

It won't play without a calibration file.

Please replace all instances of the word "Config" with "calibration" thats my bad, I screwed up and used the wrong word.

But now if you read it again, it should make more sense.

« Last Edit: 01:48 AM - 12/08/09 by Kraxis »

Offline Kraxis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:03 PM - 12/08/09 »
Just to make sure the hardware is OK, you said the vista64 system was working fine?

Also, was the non working vista32 system bundled with a system? (hp or dell?) There are several fixes, I just want to make sure I work on the right one.

As for the Vista64 it would not calibrate. Thats where Im hitting a wall. Could it be a hardware issue that is preventing it from calibrating?

The Vista32 system is part of a bundled system, Toshiba to be exact.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:17 PM - 12/08/09 »
It's not calibrating because the driver isn't loading properly.

Did you ever right click it in the Device Manager list and select Properties to get details on why it's not working properly?

Offline Kraxis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:29 PM - 12/08/09 »
It's not calibrating because the driver isn't loading properly.

Did you ever right click it in the Device Manager list and select Properties to get details on why it's not working properly?

Heres what I got when I checked the properties in Device Manager; "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

Looks to me like youre right the driver isnt loading properly. Now I did 2 things to bypass the "Driver Signature Enforcement". The first was to go into Cmd.exe and type bcdedit/set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and the second was to run it in Safe Mode (attained via spamming F8).

Am I missing some vital step here?

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12:51 PM - 12/08/09 »
The first was to go into Cmd.exe and type bcdedit/set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

This literally does nothing.

Safe mode isn't what you want.  At the bottom of the list is an option to Disable Digital Driver Enforcement (or something very close to that).  You need to use that option to boot and install. 

Keep in mind that using this method will also require you to boot your PC this way EVERY time you want to play with XIM.

That's why I recommend using the signed drivers.  You can download the ones linked in my sig, then go through Device Manager, right click on the troublesome XIM360 item and Update Driver by pointing it to the extracted files from the zip package you just downloaded.  See if that works (assuming you're on the 64-bit system right now).

Offline Kraxis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01:05 PM - 12/08/09 »

That's why I recommend using the signed drivers.  You can download the ones linked in my sig, then go through Device Manager, right click on the troublesome XIM360 item and Update Driver by pointing it to the extracted files from the zip package you just downloaded.  See if that works (assuming you're on the 64-bit system right now).

Ok Im gonna go with this method. I just now tried to update the drivers by pointing it to the folder which contains the files extracted from USBXpress.zip. I tried 3 times but each time I got an error saying "system cannot find the file specified 'USBXpress Device'".

So I tried some trouble shooting and ran the USBXpressinstaller.exe from the folder and got an error about an INF file unable to install or something.

I feel like Im really close to figuring this out. Any ideas on whats next?

Offline Kraxis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01:22 PM - 12/08/09 »
The first was to go into Cmd.exe and type bcdedit/set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

This literally does nothing.

Safe mode isn't what you want.  At the bottom of the list is an option to Disable Digital Driver Enforcement (or something very close to that).  You need to use that option to boot and install. 

Keep in mind that using this method will also require you to boot your PC this way EVERY time you want to play with XIM.

So I tried your Disable Digital Driver Enforcement method and it installed the XIM and calibrated. Something I havent been able to accomplish on a 64 bit system to date. I was really led astray by the CMD.EXE method.

But Im still having trouble installing the signed drivers like you suggested, however using Disabled Driver Enforcement mode I can work around that.

You sir are a genius!

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01:29 PM - 12/08/09 »
Not a genius.  OBsIV is a genius.

I've just done this...A LOT.

Offline Kraxis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:38 PM - 12/08/09 »
Not a genius.  OBsIV is a genius.

I've just done this...A LOT.

Fair enough, but youre still an smart fellow. Final question, do you have any idea what this roadblock Im hitting when I try to update the drivers thru Device Manager and encountering an error with the USBXpress?

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:45 PM - 12/08/09 »
No.  Can you get on IRC again and explain what happens?