XIM Community

[ACTIVE] Mouse not working at all  (Read 3478 times)

Offline robbybobby

• View Profile
[ACTIVE] Mouse not working at all
« on: 09:55 AM - 03/14/15 »
I have a CMSTORM Recon mouse. It is on the supported mouse list but will not work consistently. I have read another topic on here where another user had a similar problem and got his working but mine will not. The one time it worked I shut off the console when I was done and when I started the console again the Recon wouldn't work. Updated drivers for the mouse, turned off all the lights etc. I have it paired with a Razer Nostromo, also with the lights disabled. I'm playing on Xbox One, the game is Destiny. No idea why it won't work. I have another mouse that works despite not being on the supported list, a Logitech MX510, but even at the highest sensitivity it isn't fast enough because of its relatively low DPI. Any suggestions would be helpful, I've gone through all the general troubleshooting steps already and the solutions offered in the thread by the other guy who struggled to get his Recon working, but mine still won't work. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 04:58 PM - 03/14/15 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse not working at all
« Reply #1 on: 04:30 PM - 03/14/15 »
Okay, first let's check some basic stuff, just so we're on the same page while troubleshooting.

• To start off, is this the thread you mean?   

• Next, what version of the firmware are you using, and what version of the manager?  These can both be seen if you click the corner menu in the manager and select ABOUT.  They should match, and we'd be wanting you to be on 20141114, or perhaps the newer beta.  Let us know which versions you find and/or upgrade to.  Also note that the firmware and manager are updated by separate installers, both found at the Downloads link in my signature, so make sure you get and run both.

• What actual version of the mouse firmware?  I assume you can find this in the mouse's software somewhere.  Like ours, there is probably a version for the software itself and for the firmware, so see if you can spot both.

• If the mouse has a hardware version/revision on its info sticker, what is it?  Perhaps just the specific model #, if there is one aside from the "Recon" name.  This may help if we need to obtain one to check compatibility.

• You said you tried their troubleshooting steps.  Did you specifically try the steps they talked about to make sure that the mouse settings you entered on PC are definitely stored on the mouse?  I saw something about making sure you unplug and replug the mouse before moving it to the XIM4, for instance.  Perhaps the mouse auto-switches into and out of a BIOS-compatible mode and ends up in the wrong one after power cycling the host.

• What console are you on?  This is more just so I can use the correct terms.  :)

Offline robbybobby

• View Profile
Re: [ACTIVE] Mouse not working at all
« Reply #2 on: 12:49 PM - 03/15/15 »
Thank you for your quick reply!

1. Yes, that is the thread I read and followed the steps listed there. 

2. Followed the steps you give and under ABOUT it says both Manager Version and Firmware Version are 4.00.20141114.

3. Under INFO in the CMSTORM Recon manager it lists Hardware Version:1.01, Sensor Version:1.07, Firmware Version:1.21, Software Version:1.24.

4. On the mouse itself the sticker reads S/N:SGM4001KLLW11130900183 and has a model number of SGM-4001-KLLW1.

5. Yes, I followed the steps. I have even tried the unplug and replug technique to no avail. It did work ONCE, but I have not been able to get it to work again, reinstalled drivers etc. When it worked I turned the Xbox One off and when I turned it on an hour later the mouse did not work. It must be the drivers for this mouse are fickle.

6. I have only ever tried to use the XIM 4 on Xbox One.

Thanks again and I hope this info helps.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 10:47 AM - 03/16/15 »
Sorry you are having trouble. Hopefully someone with a CM Storm Recon can comment. I know people are using this mouse.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:34 PM - 03/16/15 »
3. Under INFO in the CMSTORM Recon manager it lists Hardware Version:1.01, Sensor Version:1.07, Firmware Version:1.21, Software Version:1.24.

4. On the mouse itself the sticker reads S/N:SGM4001KLLW11130900183 and has a model number of SGM-4001-KLLW1.

Hmm, okay.  So the hardware versions may indicate that you have a slightly (moderately? significantly?) different revision of the mouse itself, meaning different from those who have had success.  I haven't managed to find anything about one version vs. the other via google, but there's certainly room for doubt about whether or not we support this particular revision, or whether this particular revision has issues with selecting BIOS vs. enhanced mode.

Offline robbybobby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:00 PM - 03/17/15 »
Thanks for the replies everyone. So, after much fiddling with the settings I did get it to work....sort of. Basically, after creating a profile specifically for use with the XIM 4 every setting of this mouse needs to be manually set to 4000 DPI from within the software. It makes it way too sensitive but that can sort of be fixed by dialing the sensitivity from within Xim 4 Manager down. The main problem is that once the Xbox One or any console is turned off this mouse will not work when it is booted up again. I have to turn on my PC, re-initiate the settings onto the mouse and then plug it back into the XIM 4. Basically, this mouse isn't very good. I guess I'll get another mouse for the XIM 4. Thank you for all your help, XIM 4 is fantastic when my mouse works.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 12:50 PM - 03/17/15 »
I'm glad you found a solution, but I'm curious about something. When you configure your mouse on you PC, you have to unplug it to use with your XIM4. This doesn't cause it to lose its settings?

Offline robbybobby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:56 PM - 03/18/15 »
I'm glad you found a solution, but I'm curious about something. When you configure your mouse on you PC, you have to unplug it to use with your XIM4. This doesn't cause it to lose its settings?

I don't understand why it will not hold its settings and won't work after the Xbox One is shut down and started again. I wish I knew. I can only assume the drivers for this mouse are junk and it doesn't save the information permanently, instead loading its settings to function every time the computer is started.  If anyone has a suggestion on a decent gaming mouse that works flawlessly with XIM 4 that won't break the bank I would appreciate it.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 03:11 PM - 03/18/15 »
What's your price range?

Offline robbybobby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:39 AM - 03/19/15 »
70 bucks or less. Cheaper is better though, if you have a suggestion for something decent for 50 or less that would be nice but with mice you really do get what you pay for. 

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 12:38 PM - 03/19/15 »
I would look for deals on the Logitech G402.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02:08 PM - 03/19/15 »
I'm kind of curious about something...

If you unplug the XIM4 from your XB1 before shutting down the XB1, and then don't plug it back in until the XB1 is back up, does the mouse still reset its settings?

Or, perhaps, if you unplug the mouse from the XIM4 before shutting down the XB1, and then plug it back in when the XB1 is back up...?

These would not be ideal steps, of course, but they might save you a little time each day while you search for a different mouse.

Admin