XIM Community

[Q&A] Sound problem: PS4 + XIM4 + Sony's standard earphones (game and chat sound  (Read 881 times)

Offline Erick85

• View Profile
Hello!

How can I have game and chat sound using Sony's standard earphones while using XIM4? If this is not possible, what is the most simple solution to get game and chat sound with XIM4 on PS4?

I am sorry if this question has been answered before (I did try to search).

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 11:48 AM - 03/10/15 by OBsIV »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Welcome to the community. PS4 ignores audio via wired connection to the DS4 (which is what we are using). You'll need to use a low cost USB sound card -- there are several recommendations on here. Or, I'm sure someone will chime in with one.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Erick85

• View Profile
Ok, thanks!

Since the earphones only got one 3,5 mm cable, it is really compatible with a USB sound card (which all seem to have two, one for mic and another for game sound).

Also, do you think any PC head set would work with a USB sound card (then I would consider switching from Sonys earphones).

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Usually a headset+mic that has a single connector is set up with a "TRRS" (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) audio connector.  Meaning, there are four metal parts on the connector.  Regular stereo headphones use a "TRS" connector (tip, ring sleeve) that only has three.  Same for microphones.

-----._ _ _
TRRS |_|_|_|<)
-----'
-----.___ _
 TRS |___|_|<)
-----'

In order to use a TRRS connector with most USB sound cards, you will need an adapter that turns the single connector into two TRS connectors, one each for mic and audio.  These are found in just about any electronics or audio/video store.  Just make certain it is the right kind, as there are several different ways one can split or combine similar connectors.  You want it to specifically say that it splits a combined stereo+mic into two connectors, rather than simply saying it's a Y-cable or something like that.