XIM Community

Build this PC -- yes or no?  (Read 9211 times)

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
Re: Build this PC -- yes or no?
« Reply #30 on: 02:08 AM - 02/21/15 »
How did we go from $1500 to $2k? jeeze.

However i agree with Xenon, SSD is vital to a setup.
But i would just get a cheap 120GB for your OS (*for boot times*)

I have all my steam games on a 1TB HDD and have 0 problems in load times and such.
You can always add a much larger SSD later if that's what you want, but i don't think it's needed.

But then you could be really flash and buy one of these: www.eteknix.com/fixstars-launches-first-3tb-2-5-inch-ssd/
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline Oxxy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03:06 AM - 02/21/15 »
Yeah you only need a 120gb-250 gb SSD for your OS lol. I mean sure you can get a 1tb, but it's pretty expensive lol.

Depends how much you want to spend I guess.

edit: also if your gaming at 1080p a 970 is fine. 3.5gb is more than enough.

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: NekkedBare
  • PSN ID: BRB_Krew
« Reply #32 on: 07:06 AM - 02/21/15 »
Updated, changed SSD to 120gb. New price is $1600. Overall price in the end will be higher due to accessories, which is why I want to keep price closer to $1500, but $1600 is perfectly acceptable.

So $1600 and I got a decent SSD, an i5 4690, and a gtx 980. Not bad and relatively cheap so far. No one has answered my question about the Gigabyte mobo though -- have you guys heard good/bad things about it? It's fairly cheap it's a $120 mobo and I just don't want anything to go wrong because I went cheap on the mobo. My other options were the ASUS Z97-AR and ASUS Z97-Pro Wifi. But those are a little more expensive.
My Roccat Sova review:
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=49911.0

Wi-fi speeds

Offline amak1

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Wa2En5emble
« Reply #33 on: 07:55 AM - 02/21/15 »
I havnt heard any bad things about gigabyte mobos... I have gigabyte gpus and they have been excellent.

Good choice going with an ssd... Its one of those things that once you have you can never do without again.
Ice... 15ml lime cordial... 1 dash angostura bitters... 2 oz 100% agave tequila... top off with sprite or 7 up

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08:01 AM - 02/21/15 »
Can't really help you on other mobo's because I have used nothing but Asus motherboards (5 of them so far) in my 10 years of building PC's, and I've never had any issues.

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08:45 AM - 02/21/15 »
Don't know about your specific MOBO, but mine is Gigabyte and I've never had trouble with it.
The 970 is fine for 1080p gaming, But people in general say buy the best GPU you can afford.

If that is the 980 in your system for $1600 and you can afford that, then defiantly go for it.

Orrrrrr buy a mediocre GPU now, something that will let you play games at 720p (lol here me out here!).

Then when the DX12 cards drop buy the best single GPU you can afford at that time since DX12 is going to blast PC gaming into a whole new era. I've heard mention of PIXAR level gaming graphics. It is worth waiting to see.

And if that time comes and it's not actually as good as they say it would be then buy a 980 at a much cheaper price. Just my two cents.

http://www.eteknix.com/dx12-can-handle-600k-draw-calls-increasing-amd-gpu-performance-600/

OH and expect to change your system about right up until the hour of purchase.
Keep reading reviews on cheaper bang for buck parts. You'll be surprised at what works well for cheaper.
« Last Edit: 08:50 AM - 02/21/15 by YEESH_DALE »

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08:58 AM - 02/21/15 »
Well if that's the case then maybe I should just get the 970 and when DX12 hits, go big with the GPU and new monitor. Hm. Did nvidia not make the 980 DX12-proof?
My Roccat Sova review:

Wi-fi speeds

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09:33 AM - 02/21/15 »
970/980 support DX12 but the GM204 chip they're based off is a small die low-end chip.  Most people that are currently running 780 Ti's are waiting for cards based on fully unlocked Maxwell chips but those might not come until next year.

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10:29 AM - 02/21/15 »
I'll just get the 980 now and then sell it later. I'd rather be satisfied now than be left wanting and waiting.
My Roccat Sova review:

Wi-fi speeds

Offline Oxxy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11:36 AM - 02/21/15 »
yeah that gigabyte mobo is good dw about that. You should chose your mobo based on the features and specs it has, and that one has pretty much everything you need.

Good range of pcie x16 slots, plenty of system fan headers in the mobo, 8 6gb/s sata ports. Looks good to me.

Those asus ones you listed are also great. Like I said, look at the features and decide what you want out a motherboard. But from a that quick look at the gigabyte specs it seems to have everything you could ever want/need.
« Last Edit: 11:51 AM - 02/21/15 by Oxxy »

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03:23 PM - 02/21/15 »
970/980 support DX12 but the GM204 chip they're based off is a small die low-end chip.  Most people that are currently running 780 Ti's are waiting for cards based on fully unlocked Maxwell chips but those might not come until next year.

Oh my bad, i didn't know they were. :D

I'll just get the 980 now and then sell it later. I'd rather be satisfied now than be left wanting and waiting.

Sounds good.

Offline amak1

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Wa2En5emble
« Reply #41 on: 03:28 PM - 02/21/15 »
No doubt man the 980 would be a great choice and you can always sli another one Which will most likely be beastlier than next gen nvidia... But then you gotta worry about sli profiles etc.

Also later down the road upgrade to more ram... You can take it slow after your initial build. I hope you enjoy your beast.  8)
Ice... 15ml lime cordial... 1 dash angostura bitters... 2 oz 100% agave tequila... top off with sprite or 7 up

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03:37 PM - 02/21/15 »
No doubt man the 980 would be a great choice and you can always sli another one Which will most likely be beastlier than next gen nvidia... But then you gotta worry about sli profiles etc.

Also later down the road upgrade to more ram... You can take it slow after your initial build. I hope you enjoy your beast.  8)

This is actually a good choice, since i recently heard DX12 will use 100% of sli/cross-fire GPUs.
So no longer the 100% / 50% power outage of the first and second GPU, Both will run at 100%

Could be a good time to go QUAD DAMAGE!

http://www.eteknix.com/directx-12-will-reportedly-treat-multiple-gpus-single-entity/

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #43 on: 05:18 PM - 02/21/15 »
the rest of the setup is fine and now your build has earned the title of #nerdpowered...go forth and build your monstrosity....

ps. i mean you did eventually end up doing what i suggested almost 2 pages ago lololol (i promise you the changes you have made you wont regret)

pps. i just realized if the sli route is something that might interest you, your going to need a much more serious power supply...either purchase one now (a 650w will more then satisfy your needs for now but its noway going to support two 980's) or upgrade later down the road when you decide to upgrade your graphics card. either way your build is solid. its why i always recommend that a good 800w+ cpu once. its one of those rare components in a PC that will easily outlast every other part and you can expect 5-10 years out of it if not more.
« Last Edit: 05:31 PM - 02/21/15 by Xenon »
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06:04 PM - 02/21/15 »
Yeah I was thinking of upgrading the PSU since it really isn't that more expensive. And if DX12 will utilize SLI
My Roccat Sova review:

Wi-fi speeds

Admin