XIM Community

Ok, so I have Commander working, now what?  (Read 2415 times)

Offline PegasusActual

• View Profile
Ok, so I have Commander working, now what?
« on: 04:29 AM - 02/18/15 »
OK, so I have XIM commander (sort of) working, but I'm not really sure where to go from here. Eventually I'd like to get a Saitek X52 working, but Commander doesn't load with it connected. For now I am using an old Logitech WingMan Extreme. A pretty basic flight stick, X and Y axis on the stick, a slider for throttle, and twisting the stick for rudder, one 8-way hat, and 7 buttons.

Through my actual XIM I have a logitech G13 and a mouse hooked up. The G13 acts like a joystick, all of its keys are mapped as joystick buttons, and the thumbstick is seen by the XIM as joystick axes. So it kind of fights over mappings with the flight stick. Also, the axes on the flight stick are kind of all over the place, things don't map to the gamepad axes I'd want.

I understand that right now the tool is meant to be used in conjunction with other tools that handle the mapping for you. And that's where everything is really falling apart for me. So I installed AutoHotKey, something called Universal Joystick Remapper, and vJoy. That seemed like an almost good combo, the configuration options were really good, I really liked that I could boost the inputs on each axis as this particular stick does not seem to have a large enough range of motion. But unfortunately with the vJoy driver connected, XIM Commander refuses to load. And besides that, remapping the joystick buttons to work with the mappings already in place for the Logitech G13 seems like a huge problem.

I read through everything in this forum, and a bit in the big "Initial ideas" thread caught my eye about XInput devices, and how the second XInput device would be passed through directly. Ok, weird, but at least I had a goal in mind, so I looked for something to map my regular joystick to XInput. Most things seemed to be specifically made to convert DualShock 3 and DualShock 4 controllers to XInput.

Eventually I found something called x360ce. I plugged in one old Xbox 360 Controller I have lying around from my XIM3 days just to fill in that first XInput slot that isn't passed through directly, and emulated a second XInput device with my flight stick. This seems to mostly work, and more importantly XIM Commander actually loads when I'm using it. I mapped the buttons how I'd like them, and they register in game. Unfortunately there are two deal-breaking problems. One, I don't have the required range of motion to max out the inputs on my PS4/XBO, that feature from UJR doesn't exist here, and thus my helicopter turns way too slowly. Does anyone have a solution to that? Preferably something that's not "Yeah, make a vJoy like you did earlier, and emulate the XInput from there with x360ce". That's feeling like at least one layer too many.

Also, Commander listens to both the real device, and the emulated device, so DirectInput buttons and axes interfere with XInput.  Is there no way to disable certain inputs? XIM4CommanderConfig.ini doesn't seem to have much in the way of documentation, are its only features kb/m filtering, and picking a cycle button? It seems like joysticks are completely unusable if you can't do that.

I'll say this, kb/m through Commander are pretty tight. I don't notice any additional lag. Unfortunately with my setup, it's not currently a particularly useful feature. In fact I'd like my joystick input to pass through while my keyboard and mouse continue to do full-time computer work.

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Ok, so I have Commander working, now what?
« Reply #1 on: 06:28 AM - 03/10/15 »
I've got a Driving Force GT wheel paired with a set of G25 pedals on my consoles, thanks to a Leo Bodnar cable, a PC VM, vJoy, UJR, Titan One, GTuner and MaxAim DI plugin.

Works a treat to combine the DFGT and G25 pedals as one device via vJoy, which gets picked up as a Game Controller in MaxAim DI. Keys and axes are mapped in MaxAim DI (they're picked up in vJoy via UJR), then piped via the T1 to PS4 and XB1.

In short, everything works as expected, including Invert, Deadzone and Sensitivity settings in UJR. The solution doesn't involve Xim Commander, nor a Xim, but it is a solution...at least for the helicopter.

What game are you playing? Do you need m/kb as well as the flightstick?
« Last Edit: 07:20 AM - 03/10/15 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline PegasusActual

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:44 PM - 03/11/15 »
I'm mostly interested in Battlefield 4 and Hardline for my configuration at the moment, so I do want the mouse/keyboard working as well. I'm thinking maybe I can use my old XIM3 with its respective Commander (I'm pretty sure it had Commander, but haven't had time to really look into it). And then hook the XIM3 into the XIM4 so it just reads it as an Xbox 360 controller. Seems like it should work.

Also interested in getting other stuff going that wont' really need mouse and keyboard. Random crap like HAWX and Afterburner Climax that have been sitting on my 360 HDD unplayed.

Not a good sign that you're avoiding Commander as well, seems like it's in a pretty sorry state. It seems like simply enumerating all the devices with checkbox toggles to enable/disable Commander reading its inputs is a 20 minute fix to make it a useful program. Not even technology issues, just simple GUI stuff. Is this project dead?

Offline chewz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:17 AM - 05/21/15 »
I'm trying to use my steering wheel with commander too. When vjoy is running, commander refuses to start. Is there some kind of fix for this?. It makes me laugh xim has always been sold as the ability to add flight sticks etc, it's complete nonsense and always has been.

If commander would start when vjoy is running - then that may be the answer. Is there any other work arounds to enable a wheel?. I have no idea where to go from here. So much time wasted messing about

Offline PegasusActual

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:20 AM - 05/27/15 »
Can't say I've found anything helpful. I pretty much just learned how to 'git gud' with WASD plus mouse controls for my helicopter stuff. I'd probably be better off just picking up my PS4/XBO controller but given the rats nest of cables to support XIM and my headset stuff I'd rather not. XIM 4 Commander seems like a dead project.