XIM Community

Any Advantage/Disadvantage to using a Powered USB Hub between XIM4 & Console?  (Read 5227 times)

Offline PUBzZz

• MVP
    • View Profile
Just want to throw this out there because I see some people say they use a powered USB hub with their XIM4.  Would love to hear from people who use one or have used one to get your take on it if there is any advantage/disadvantage to using one.

I use a G13 and a G502. I turn the lights off on both to avoid drawing too much power away from the XIM4.  Wonder if using a powered USB hub between my XIM4 and My Xbox One will allow me to use the lights without worry.

Thanks
PS4 / Xbox One
Xim Apex / Xim 4
Cooler Master MM710 16k @1000hz
Zowie G-TF SPAWN PAD
Netduma to OpenWRT "Cake/PieceOfCake"
BenQ XL2420T
Astro A40 + Mixamp

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
XIM4's power circuit is designed to cut off power to your peripherals if they draw too much. If lights on your peripherals are on and it's not tripping the limiter, then, you are fine with keeping them on.

Concerning a powered hub, there is no advantage. If you frequently get a power fault, then, having one between your XIM4 and peripherals would fix the power faults. But, having one between your XIM4 and console isn't beneficial unless you are using long extension cables.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Maxxgold

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Maxxgold
  • PSN ID: Maxxgold
I have a HOTAS system and each piece is powered by USB. If I place them on the same USB bank I have issues with switches activating without me touching them. This is a known issue and I easily fixed this problem because a lot of people were having the same issue and they figured out that it was a power issue. I don't personally have any issues with the XIM and power but I only have a mouse connected to it. I use a wireless Sony Nav controller for my left hand.

Even though the Xim has a built in option to handle power situations it is very possible that hooking up to many things may cause problems. Just like my HOTAS, you would never have known initially that it was a power issue. I thought the switches were bad. Especially because it was the same switches that acted up because the unit was not getting enough power.

If you are concerned then get a powered USB hub and then you can stop worrying. : )
[Instructional Videos]
http://xim.tech/instructional-videos/

[HOW TO FIND YOUR PERFECT XIM SENSITIVITY]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60845.0

[Xim Apex Manager & Firmware]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60725.0

[Console Controller Crossover]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_X_ntzv_zc

(My Current Setup)
-Xim Apex
-G502 set @ 1000Hz Polling and 12,000DPI
-Sony Navigation Controller
-Razer Black Widow Stealth V1 Keyboard (used sparingly)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
XIM4's power circuit is designed to cut off power to your peripherals if they draw too much. If lights on your peripherals are on and it's not tripping the limiter, then, you are fine with keeping them on.
I think that partially describes my problem when attempting to use a Razer Ouroboros in wired mode. When it's wired, the Xim4 goes into a power cycle. When it's wireless, it works fine...until I pop the mouse onto the charger, which trips the Xim.

Concerning a powered hub, there is no advantage. If you frequently get a power fault, then, having one between your XIM4 and peripherals would fix the power faults. But, having one between your XIM4 and console isn't beneficial unless you are using long extension cables.
My solution was to plug the Xim4 into a Titan One, then plug that into a powered USB hub using its PC port to provide more juice. It doesn't always work (controller detection seems to trip the loop too), but it's the only solution I've found.

I haven't tried plugging peripherals into a powered hub, then into the Xim4. How would that work given hubs have multiple inputs but only one output? Does it not matter which Xim4 port takes the mouse, kb and controller? Given it's just the mouse playing up, perhaps that'll work.
« Last Edit: 06:05 PM - 02/16/15 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline PUBzZz

• MVP
    • View Profile
I went ahead and added a powered usb hub to my setup.

G13 + G502 -> Powered Hub -> XIM4 -> Console.

Now I'm able to run the lights on both my G13 and G502 without any issues.
PS4 / Xbox One
Xim Apex / Xim 4
Cooler Master MM710 16k @1000hz
Zowie G-TF SPAWN PAD
Netduma to OpenWRT "Cake/PieceOfCake"
BenQ XL2420T
Astro A40 + Mixamp

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad

I did the same. Even though the Titan One added some power into my setup, it wasn't enough to get the Ouroboros going in wired mode.

I plugged the mouse into a Roccat Apuri, then plugged that into the Xim4 mouse port. The Ouroboros now works perfectly in wired mode, or when on charge in wireless mode. Previously, either scenario would trip the Xim4 every time.

Xim4 <> PC over BlueTooth would also bomb in Ouroboros' wireless mode and that's no longer a problem.

It also solved the controller authentication and Xim4 randomly powering off issues I had when using other mice.

All of my Xim4 problems seem wholly and solely related to power supply...

My only remaining issue is having to remove other devices from the Apuri before plugging it into the Xim4 so the mouse detects properly. Once that's done, I can plug them back in. Small sacrifice for a big outcome. Pig, meet poo.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline joetomic

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: zZ7Joel2Zz

Which port on the Xim do you plug the powered usb connector?
Xbox One X w/SSD
Steel Series 700 Mouse
12k/1000Hz
Razer Tartarus 2 Keypad
Acer Monitor
Mixamp TR Pro

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Which port on the Xim do you plug the powered usb connector?
The Xim is port agnostic. While it's preferable to use port 1 for mouse, port 2 for kb and port 3 for controller, in truth you can use any one of them for any device, including a USB hub.

Please note that the controller must remain directly connected to the Xim and not connected to a hub. Otherwise the console's controller authentication protocol does not work.

Offline Horseman

• View Profile
Which powered usb hubs work please? i tried a roccat a while ago and it caused bad lag on the mouse.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Which powered usb hubs work please? i tried a roccat a while ago and it caused bad lag on the mouse.
That may have been the mouse. I used the Roccat Apuri for years on multiple generations of Xim.

Admin