XIM Community

What's the XIM Commander?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Jsnips94

• View Profile
What's the XIM Commander?
« on: 08:46 PM - 02/16/15 »
I've been looking everywhere for an explanation and can't find one. Can someone explain to me what the XIM Commander is and give me a explanation about it if possible. Also, do I need anything to use it?

Thank You

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: What's the XIM Commander?
« Reply #1 on: 12:42 AM - 02/17/15 »
Check out the "Commander" sub-board under XIM4 Discussions.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Jsnips94

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:01 AM - 02/17/15 »
Check out the "Commander" sub-board under XIM4 Discussions.

We're in the commander sub-board ObsIV  ;]

Offline PegasusActual

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:17 AM - 02/17/15 »
Even after flipping through everything on the forums that says XIM Commander, it's still not perfectly clear what it's supposed to be, to be honest. It seems the basic idea is that it's a way to connect your PC to your XIM so that you can use devices that are attached to your PC. It can use your PC mouse/keyboard with a toggle button, but it can also use other stuff, so maybe things like flight sticks and rudder pedals.

For XIM4 you need a USB easy connect cable. I just grabbed one of those. Getting it running has been.. a bit of a pain. Simply opening the programs in the specified order (Manager with commander switch->XIM Commander) has only worked for me once.

Now with XIM Manager /commander mode up via USB easy connect, I don't see any of the device icons anymore:

The one time where it sort of worked there were regular looking icons for my mouse, and a USB hub. I'm pretty sure that's the case, but maybe it's possible I'm confusing it with one of the times I got regular Manager up via Bluetooth.

The little button notifications don't pop up when I press anything on my controllers either, but if I tell it to load a profile it seems to do it, as the LEDs change color on the device.

Opening XIM Commander itself just doesn't do anything, the little window never pops up. It does pop up an error if I attempt to open it with XIM4 Manager Commander Mode closed, but if it's running it just seems to silently exit on launch without a peep, never even rendering a window.

At one point when XIM Commander was sort of loading, both XIM windows would freeze and it would lock up explorer (and task manager!) in a cycle of crashing, until I finally managed to get in a click to kill XIM Commander.

I'm sure there's potential in there to do cool things, but right now this is some of the jankiest software I've ever tried to use.

Offline alongcoldwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:18 PM - 02/17/15 »
Even after flipping through everything on the forums that says XIM Commander, it's still not perfectly clear what it's supposed to be, to be honest. It seems the basic idea is that it's a way to connect your PC to your XIM so that you can use devices that are attached to your PC. It can use your PC mouse/keyboard with a toggle button, but it can also use other stuff, so maybe things like flight sticks and rudder pedals.

For XIM4 you need a USB easy connect cable. I just grabbed one of those. Getting it running has been.. a bit of a pain. Simply opening the programs in the specified order (Manager with commander switch->XIM Commander) has only worked for me once.

Now with XIM Manager /commander mode up via USB easy connect, I don't see any of the device icons anymore:

The one time where it sort of worked there were regular looking icons for my mouse, and a USB hub. I'm pretty sure that's the case, but maybe it's possible I'm confusing it with one of the times I got regular Manager up via Bluetooth.

The little button notifications don't pop up when I press anything on my controllers either, but if I tell it to load a profile it seems to do it, as the LEDs change color on the device.

Opening XIM Commander itself just doesn't do anything, the little window never pops up. It does pop up an error if I attempt to open it with XIM4 Manager Commander Mode closed, but if it's running it just seems to silently exit on launch without a peep, never even rendering a window.

At one point when XIM Commander was sort of loading, both XIM windows would freeze and it would lock up explorer (and task manager!) in a cycle of crashing, until I finally managed to get in a click to kill XIM Commander.

I'm sure there's potential in there to do cool things, but right now this is some of the jankiest software I've ever tried to use.

It's a bit touchy yes.  I've been using commander for a few weeks now, after some trial and error (locking up my computer) I finally figured out what to do.

1. Make sure the controller and all cords are connected (Easy Transfer, xim4 to console)
2. Power on Console by using the console power button (not the controller)
3. Press the Playstation/Xbox button once to turn on the controller
4. Start Xim4 Manager (Commander Mode) Wait for it check for any updates and is done loading
5. Start Xim4 Commander  (Xim4 manager should detect the xim4 and show your profiles and configs)
6. Use your toggle key to switch to controlling the console
7. Done, everything should be working.

The key is literally turning on the console by hand.

Then when you're done, make sure to shut down Xim4 commander and then Xim4 manager before powering off your console.

Offline PegasusActual

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:32 PM - 02/17/15 »
Hmm, I have been turning on my console by hand, but I'll try your sequence in a bit. Can you confirm that I should end up with a more normal window than the screenshot I posted?

I did see in another thread where to find the log file for Commander, but seemed like it was recognizing my USB devices ok, nothing in the log to indicate that it crashed or why.

I don't think I'll try again until after I back up all my config stuff and upgrade to the STv2 release candidate

I have a bunch of stuff running on my PC right now that's too big of a pain to restart, but later I'll give my PC a full reboot which can't hurt.

Offline alongcoldwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:39 PM - 02/17/15 »
The xim4 manager window will look like that until you start Commander.  Then it will sync to the xim4 and display your config.

Offline alongcoldwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:26 PM - 02/17/15 »
Oh and by the way, looks like Xim commander isn't working with the newest version of xim4 manager.  So you might wanna hold off updating if you want to try commmander.

Offline PegasusActual

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:35 PM - 02/17/15 »
Thanks for the heads up. Anyway, messed around with it some more on the current firmware/commander... it looks like it runs if I unplug my Saitek X52. Which naturally is the exact device I want XIM Commander for.

edit: Found a 16 year old Logitech Wingman, it seems to boot up with it, not ideal, but should be good enough for testing out configs in battlefield. Maybe I'll see if the X52 works when everything is hooked up through my laptop.
« Last Edit: 10:55 PM - 02/17/15 by PegasusActual »

Admin