XIM Community

Sound Blaster X7, works with the Xbox One  (Read 26044 times)

Offline trfnj74

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: stinkfists74
Sound Blaster X7, works with the Xbox One
« on: 11:13 PM - 01/09/15 »
To all those who are wondering about the Creative X7 working with the Xbox One.. I here say indeed it does.. I know creative states it doesn't, the mic input doesn't work like it would on a PC.  It takes a couple extra connections using the line inputs as a mic input. This thing has a ton a adjustments, and has the capacity to run higher ohm headphones. It works great with my Sennheiser HD600's, HD598 as well as the PC360's...Don't mind the temporary desk and redoing my office.

1.) Chat adapter on Xbox Controller -- Y adapter (I used my Astro Y adapter, my Sennheiser is the same as well) goes into chat adapter
2.) Plug mic into purple side of the Y adapter
3.) Plug 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord (not supplied) into green side of Y adapter and the other side into the 2xRCA to a female 3.5mm jack (supplied) then into the line in jacks on the rear of the unit.
4.) Plug Headphones into a headphone jack on the X7.

You will need to adjust the line in and the spdif setting to get the chat and game volume adjusted correctly. The unit has Bluetooth capability and there is an app in the Playstore, so no need to hook up to PC to make adjustments. It works really well!!!

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Blaster X7, works with the Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: 04:50 PM - 01/11/15 »
Thanks for the validation, but looks to me Creative says this is indeed compatible with Xbox One.  Not sure where you got that they said it didn't.

http://www.soundblaster.com/x7/

There's a new kid in town. Introduce a new level of audio tech to your gaming experience, be it on the PlayStation® 4 or even XBOX® One.

Offline trfnj74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:30 PM - 01/11/15 »
Sorry I didn't clarify... Creative said it doesn't work using the Mic/Chat. What I posted was the work around using the line input, which isn't in there manual or setup.

Connectivity to Consoles

From Creative
"1. How do I connect gaming consoles such as PS4 and Xbox One to the Sound Blaster
X7?
You can connect gaming consoles to Sound Blaster X7 if your console has an optical
out jack. Use an optical cable (available in AV outlets) to connect the optical out of
the console to the optical in of the Sound Blaster X7.
2. How do I use my headset that is connected to a console through Sound Blaster X7?
PS4 and XBox One are unable to use the Sound Blaster X7 through USB as our
device topology is too complex for the console's USB audio driver. Since the USB
path is not usable with consoles, the microphone input from the console cannot
output through the Sound Blaster X7. "

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:36 AM - 01/14/15 »
I'm thinking about buying the x7 ... so you can totally control the settings via bluetooth and an android phone app?

I see it has Optical "In /Out" at the rear and I was wondering if it would take an optical "in" from the Xbox One and then use the optical "out" to connect it to "cough cough" ... a Turtle Beach Stealth 500x wireless transmitter  :-[

I have some nice headphones, but for gaming, the total wireless feature of the Stealth 500x is a big plus ... one of the drawbacks is they are way too low on volume for me.

Any thoughts on whether this might be possible as a means of upping the volume?

Nice looking piece of kit, there aren't too many reviews going about at the moment ... but I'm tempted to get one  :)

Offline trfnj74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:52 PM - 01/14/15 »
Yes you can use your android device to control the X7 and it works pretty good. You can find the apps on the Play store. There are 2 that are required.

Yes you can use the optical output to your wireless device but it wont make them louder. Your wireless headphone are what creates the power for them. Also I'm pretty sure the optical output is only a bypass just like the Astro mixamp 5.8 so you wont get the Dolby processing etc...
« Last Edit: 11:54 AM - 01/15/15 by trfnj74 »

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:02 AM - 01/15/15 »
The optical digital output being "purely a bypass" is what I'm trying to find info on ... I just wondered if the signal goes straight through the SPIDF in/out jacks on the X7 "untouched"

I understand that it would bypass the Digital processing ... but I am curious if the volume knob on the X7 would be able to adjust the volume going through the digital "out" jack on the X7 or is that bypassed too?  (BTW the optical out is going to a source that has Dolby Digital processing.)

Thanks for the reply to my questions :) ... I think I will get the X7 anyway, I have an old Denon AV amp that weighs a ton and the Sound Blaster will take up a LOT less space  :)

Offline salbando

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:36 PM - 01/16/15 »
The optical digital output being "purely a bypass" is what I'm trying to find info on ... I just wondered if the signal goes straight through the SPIDF in/out jacks on the X7 "untouched"

I understand that it would bypass the Digital processing ... but I am curious if the volume knob on the X7 would be able to adjust the volume going through the digital "out" jack on the X7 or is that bypassed too?  (BTW the optical out is going to a source that has Dolby Digital processing.)

Thanks for the reply to my questions :) ... I think I will get the X7 anyway, I have an old Denon AV amp that weighs a ton and the Sound Blaster will take up a LOT less space  :)

I have the X7 and I have my old mixamp connected to the optical output of the X7 (for some reason the mic sounds better to the party).

It does process the audio BUT you can turn all processing off and do a direct passthrough through the software. I know they both process virtual surround but i prefer SBX over Dolby.

The volume knob only affects the speaker/headphone out volume. You can however through the software lower the spdif out volume and that would lower the volume going into the device connected to the optical out of the x7. (like a mixamp)

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:06 PM - 01/16/15 »
I got in touch with Creative support and they said that the volume knob only affected the speaker volume .. just like you said.

They didn't tell me that you could change the SPIDF output volume in the software though ... that's what I really wanted ... but to "increase" the volume going out to the Stealth 500x transmitter due to the Stealth being so low on volume.

I ordered the X7 today along with a pair of BayerDynamics DT880 premium 600 ohm headphones.
I'll just use the Turtle Beach Stealth when in game chat, and blow my ears off with the x7 set up playing solo ... that was my 1st and last pair of Turtle Beach headphones, I can't get over how low the volume level is ...  :o

Thanks to all for the feedback on the x7 :)
« Last Edit: 02:11 PM - 01/16/15 by Au1d Yin »

Offline salbando

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:11 PM - 01/17/15 »
I run the same set up using the pass through when I want to chat i turn my mixamp on and change headphones otherwise solo gaming I use the x7 and my headphones.

i remember being blown away when I first got into a decent pair of headphones and amp setup with gaming and realizing how much I wasn't hearing with my mixamp headphones.

Then when I got the x7 it sounded way better to me. Good quality dac plus quality amp. And it processes its own vss.

Make sure you change your settings in the software for the x7 to say you have 600 ohm headphones or they will be quiet. Just be careful not to use lower impedance headphones on there or you will risk damaging them.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:33 PM - 01/17/15 »
If I set the software for 600 ohms, I take it that those settings would have no effect on any headphones with a lower impedance that were used with a mixamp connected to the x7 SPIDF out passthrough ?

Thanks for the tip :)

Offline salbando

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:24 AM - 01/18/15 »
In theory yes but be careful I almost went deaf using my headphones on the X7 I dont know what I did but it made my headphones sound like speakers.

Offline ATLRoach

• When your work speaks for itself, don’t interrupt.
    • View Profile
    • Team Ewix
  • Gamertag: ATLRoach
  • PSN ID: OGATLRoach
« Reply #11 on: 08:55 AM - 03/21/15 »

Okay for the ones that have the X7, what are your thoughts on it? Worthwhile upgrade over the MixAmp?
Roach
Apex /Xbox One X & PS4 Pro / Samsung 28 Quantum Dot / G502 / GG XXL Pad / Vortex Pok3r 60% RGB / Creative X7 LE / AKG Q701 or Sennheiser PC37X  / Blue Yeti Black

Offline ATLRoach

• When your work speaks for itself, don’t interrupt.
    • View Profile
    • Team Ewix
  • Gamertag: ATLRoach
  • PSN ID: OGATLRoach
« Reply #12 on: 01:23 PM - 03/22/15 »

Okay for the ones that have the X7, what are your thoughts on it? Worthwhile upgrade over the MixAmp?

4 words...

Hell to the yes!

I've had mine for a couple of weeks so far and it's a godsend.  I had a Yamaha receiver and one of the main problems I had was with how it integrated it's inputs. On my A40's, a while back, I could play music on my PC while playing on my Xbox and with the Yamaha receiver I couldn't.

That's when I started looking into receivers that would allow multiple inputs to play sound simultaneously without eliminating one to play another.

The X7 was a perfect choice since it allows the inputs that I would regularly use while gaming to be sent to my headphones.

I use Bluetooth on my phone to play music while I game and it's so convenient and hassle free. I also watch some YouTube off my computer if I am in a lobby waiting for a game to start to pass time.

I recommend it but it's a bit pricey not for everyone.

It's funny I have the exact headphone as the OP the HD600's they are beastly :)

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to order one and sell my Astro Mixamp/Magni 2.
Roach
Apex /Xbox One X & PS4 Pro / Samsung 28 Quantum Dot / G502 / GG XXL Pad / Vortex Pok3r 60% RGB / Creative X7 LE / AKG Q701 or Sennheiser PC37X  / Blue Yeti Black

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #13 on: 08:10 PM - 03/25/15 »
A simple question - Creative X7, or MixAmp with Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack?

The price is pretty much the same (I already have the MixAmp), so the choice comes down to virtual surround sound and overall sound quality.

My concern is the X7 is only 5.1, whereas the MixAmp is 7.1. Is it possible to bypass or disable the X7's VSS and use the MixAmp's instead? Does 7.1 vs 5.1 VSS really matter?

From my understanding, piping the audio from the MixAmp to the Modi 2 via optical will keep the MixAmps's VSS intact. Is that right?
« Last Edit: 08:11 AM - 03/26/15 by antithesis »
Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline salbando

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10:12 AM - 03/26/15 »
An update to my setup I am currently using just the X7 for chat. Before I had to route chat through my old mixamp because I sounded like a robot on xbox one. I had to update the firmware on the XIM 4 to correct the robotic chat issue I was having.

A simple question - Creative X7, or MixAmp with Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack?

The price is pretty much the same (I already have the MixAmp), so the choice comes down to virtual surround sound and overall sound quality.

My concern is the X7 is only 5.1, whereas the MixAmp is 7.1. Is it possible to bypass or disable the X7's VSS and use the MixAmp's instead? Does 7.1 vs 5.1 VSS really matter?

From my understanding, piping the audio from the MixAmp to the Modi 2 via optical will keep the MixAmps's VSS intact. Is that right?

The X7 is much cleaner and crisper sound vs the stack at least from what I have read. I never had a stack but the reviews that I have read on head-fi majority of people enjoy it better for using with consoles (on PC's there are probably better options).

If your concern is 5.1 vs 7.1 realize that it is all simulated and not a true setup, I don't claim to be any expert but I don't think those differences matter much. From what MLE said on head-fi when he tested the X7 vs his mixamp he said "I noticed SBX at 100% being ideal to me, and less processed than Dolby Headphone. Clearer too. Audiophiles will definitely prefer SBX to Dolby Headphone. Positional cues were very, VERY similar, though Dolby Headphone is better at spacing out rear audio cues. They sound like they're actually at a distance behind you, while the X7 has them sounding a bit closer to you and not as easy to differentiate."