XIM Community

I need to get a tablet  (Read 766 times)

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
I need to get a tablet
« on: 03:41 AM - 01/03/15 »
Selling my laptop to get a great monitor and a tablet to replace my laptop. I was curious what your impressions were on what the best tablets are from the $450 and below market?

All I really want to be able to do is stream content using flash and  microsoft word.
I was reading that the Nvidia shield ( http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/ ) is not bad.

Or

Should I just find a cheap Microsoft Surface tablet on craigslist?

Offline jimmy_j_pp

• View Profile
Re: I need to get a tablet
« Reply #1 on: 06:58 AM - 01/03/15 »
Go surface, I got my wife a pro 2 64 gb about 4 months ago, and a few weeks ago I got the pro 3 128gb. As long as you don't plan on gaming with it, they really are a laptop replacement. I wouldnt go as far as to say theyre perfect. They do have drawbacks, 1 usb port, no eithernet, no hdmi(well it does have an output, never used it... but i believe there is an hdmi adapter for it). Ms sells usb hubs with eithernet built in.

Drawbacks included an android tablet or even ipad can't compete. If you get one make sure its the pro version or your locked into using the app store software.

I hated windows 8 on a laptop, but its much better suited for touch screens. Im still learning new things about it every day. The type cover isnt too shabby either if you want to replace your laptop with it. I can still type over 100 wpm on it(on the pro 3, i think the pro 2 type cover is a tad smaller), and the touch pad isnt too shabby either.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 01:30 PM - 01/03/15 »
Windows 10 is coming soon too. Once that is out you can upgrade your Surface Pro 3 and never look back.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:39 PM - 01/06/15 »
Well thank you. I will save for the best surface pro then. Hopefully all the new i7s have the option for 8gb ram. I am also looking forward to windows 10. I refused to use windows 8.

But, I could definitely see windows 8 being good for a tablet, Jimmy. Thank you for the input.

Offline pulpbiggles

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: LordofBiggles
  • PSN ID: PulpBiggles
« Reply #4 on: 03:49 AM - 01/07/15 »
I've used a Surface RT since launch as a business tool - the inclusion of Office and Outlook means it's been a seamless way to remotely access my files/emails via OneDrive when on client site. Yes it has its issues but I'm still using it daily and it has served me well.

The Surface Pro 3 looks an excellent bit of kit and will certainly be my next bit of hardware bought.

Offline Dale

• MVP
  • What would the great lion do?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DaleisGOD
« Reply #5 on: 08:50 AM - 01/07/15 »
Galaxy Tab S 10.1. Very nice.