XIM Community

XIMCommander 20141209 (obsolete)  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
XIMCommander 20141209 (obsolete)
« on: 03:25 PM - 12/09/14 »
Okay, guys, we have a download link for you.  :)

But, before that, a

GIGANTIC CAVEAT

This may not yet do what some of you need done.  This is not, by any means, or even the slightest hint of a stretch of anyone's most elastic imagination, the final version.  This is not really even the first version.  This is what I call an early preview of a pre-alpha prototype.  The file says "BETA" but that's an over-statement.

It may not do what you need.  If so, give feedback, we'll make changes.

It may not work at all.  I don't have an extensive test lab.  I have a couple of computers.  You are my test lab.  Hello, testers!

It may not work with your peripherals.  BUT THAT'S THE POINT, you say.  Well, I have a limited number of devices here, so I don't know what all might not work.  I can make them work, though, much easier than OBsIV and Orbital can add devices to XIM4.  I just need to know what type of device isn't yet handled.

It may, in fact, crash.  DO NOT USE THIS WHILE YOU HAVE CRITICAL DOCUMENTS OR WHATEVER OPEN ON YOUR SYSTEM.  IT IS AN INPUT FILTER THAT MUCKS WITH VERY LOW-LEVEL OS STUFF AND SOME BAD MOJO COULD LOCK YOU OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM UNTIL YOU REBOOT IT.  Use caution!

As for the rest, I think I'll have you guys read the ReadMe.txt inside, since it's one of the things that could use testing and feedback.  If it's unclear or needs more info, post feedback about it, please.

All that said, here's the link: http://cloud.xim4.com/Beta/XIM4Commander-20141209-BETA.zip

Have at it.  :)

How to post a good bug report:

Tell me your OS and 32/64 bit architecture.
Tell me what you were doing, and trying to do, when it happened.
Tell me what you expected to happen.
Tell me what actually happened.  If this involves error messages, please transcribe them verbatim.

« Last Edit: 05:13 PM - 12/28/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline guitarpanda

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: XIMCommander
« Reply #1 on: 03:28 PM - 12/09/14 »

But, before that, a

GIGANTIC CAVEAT

This may not yet do what some of you need done.  This is not, by any means, or even the slightest hint of a stretch of anyone's most elastic imagination, the final version.  This is not really even the first version.  This is what I call an early preview of a pre-alpha prototype.  The file says "BETA" but that's an over-statement.

It may not work at all.  I don't have an extensive test lab.  I have a couple of computers.  You are my test lab.  Hello, testers!

It may, in fact, crash.  DO NOT USE THIS WHILE YOU HAVE CRITICAL DOCUMENTS OR WHATEVER OPEN ON YOUR SYSTEM.  IT IS AN INPUT FILTER THAT MUCKS WITH VERY LOW-LEVEL OS STUFF AND SOME BAD MOJO COULD LOCK YOU OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM UNTIL YOU REBOOT IT.  Use caution!

As for the rest, I think I'll have you guys read the ReadMe.txt inside, since it's one of the things that could use testing and feedback.  If it's unclear or needs more info, post feedback about it, please.

All that said, here's the link: http://cloud.xim4.com/Beta/XIM4Commander-20141209-BETA.zip

Tell me what actually happened.  If this involves error messages, please transcribe them verbatim.

I feel scared now to use this, but I must try and give feedback. Hi Aiken!

Offline Dale

• MVP
  • What would the great lion do?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DaleisGOD
« Reply #2 on: 03:30 PM - 12/09/14 »

But, before that, a

GIGANTIC CAVEAT

Yay thank you Aiken!!!

ABC have at it.  Ill be relying on your review.. and will prob just have you teamview this to set me up :)

Offline n0skills90

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: II BrT n0skills
« Reply #3 on: 03:31 PM - 12/09/14 »
Look forward to trying this! Thanks for all your hard work with this so far Aiken!

Offline Rambos_BFF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:34 PM - 12/09/14 »
So, I haven't used the commander since XIM3 days. Anyone want to let me know which port the belkin goes into and such?

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:36 PM - 12/09/14 »
GIGANTIC CAVEAT

<yoda>You should be.  You. Should. Be.</yoda>

No, seriously, it can't do any harm as long as you don't have, like, unsaved files open.  My only real concern is that something might go wrong and leave you in the "input is blocked from going to desktop/apps" state, and you neglected to hit Save on your master's thesis that you wrote entirely overnight.  Or your boss is calling you over Skype to give you first dibs on a promotion that will go to Roger The Jerk* if you don't respond immediately.

There are two failsafes against that, however.  Read the Readme.txt for details.

* Apologies to anyone named Roger.  You are an innocent victim of my example-making algorithm.
« Last Edit: 03:41 PM - 12/09/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:37 PM - 12/09/14 »
So, I haven't used the commander since XIM3 days. Anyone want to let me know which port the belkin goes into and such?

I don't think it matters.  My own is set up like this:

Port 1: Powered hub, because that's how I roll.
Port 2: Transfer cable.
Port 3: Native controller.

But that's kind of arbitrary.  I'm sure testing with varying configurations might be useful, actually.

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:41 PM - 12/09/14 »

I don't think it matters.  My own is set up like this:

Port 1: Powered hub, because that's how I roll.
Port 2: Transfer cable.
Port 3: Native controller.

But that's kind of arbitrary.  I'm sure testing with varying configurations might be useful, actually.

GIGANTIC CAVEAT

<yoda>You should be.  You. Should. Be.</yoda>

No, seriously, it can't do any harm as long as you don't have, like, unsaved files open.  My only real concern is that something might go wrong and leave you in the "input is blocked from going to desktop/apps" state, and you neglected to hit Save on your master's thesis that you wrote entirely overnight.  Or your boss is calling you over Skype to give you first dibs on a promotion that will go to Roger The Jerk if you don't respond immediately.

There are two failsafes against that, however.  Read the Readme.txt for details.

Have you tried this in conjunction with OBS, or while streaming? Is it CPU heavy?

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:47 PM - 12/09/14 »
Have you tried this in conjunction with OBS, or while streaming? Is it CPU heavy?

OBS?  You mean OBsIV?  Not sure what you mean there.

It shouldn't be excessively CPU heavy.  It sleeps between updates in the Commander app; shouldn't ever steal more than 5% CPU, I can't imagine.  It has very little to do.  The input filter actually happens as a detour taken out of your other apps momentarily when they are about to receive info about mouse or keyboard events, but it does nothing more than check a flag and send on the event or not.

I guess I'd like to hear feedback on this.  Your systems are going to vary wildly from mine, so there may be unforeseen circumstances that need to be accommodated.

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:50 PM - 12/09/14 »
OBS - open broadcast software. Usually the only other thing I have running on my PC while gaming.

Offline guitarpanda

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:08 PM - 12/09/14 »
Working great so far Aiken, I was a noob and had to look up command line, but that was about it. Thanks so much. =) I'll report problems If I come across them. Input lag is noticeable for me, but not too bad. It will just take some time to get used to. 

The only time I had the program hang is when I forgot to turn the program off before I restarted my xbox. Pretty neato, thanks a lot for everything.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:23 PM - 12/09/14 »
Input lag is noticeable for me, but not too bad. It will just take some time to get used to. 
Hrm, that's unfortunate.  Would you mind relaying what hardware you're using?  The PC hardware, the OS, the peripherals?  Are some peripherals more laggy than others?

Also, are they the same peripherals you normally have connected to your XIM4, or are they your PC peripherals?  I'm wondering if, say, you're not at 1000Hz mouse polling in Windows, which often requires a hack to enable, though I think some mice have drivers that enable it properly.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:26 PM - 12/09/14 »
OBS - open broadcast software. Usually the only other thing I have running on my PC while gaming.

No clue.  If, by "open," it is implied that I can obtain this software without gigantic expense, I'd be happy to add this to my testing.

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #13 on: 04:27 PM - 12/09/14 »
Free as in free beer Aiken.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04:28 PM - 12/09/14 »
You mean it's going to make me say stupid stuff, vomit in someone's car, and have a headache all day the next day?

nothx

Sorry Dale.

;)

I'll take a look.

Admin