XIM Community

Xim4, Razor Tartarus and Naga  (Read 1518 times)

Offline The_Crank

• View Profile
Xim4, Razor Tartarus and Naga
« on: 05:24 AM - 12/27/14 »
Hi All,

First time poster, I have been gaming on consoles for over 10 years (FPS) and have now decided to through the joy pad away and invest in a good mouse and keyboard set. I hope to get into the competitive FPS at some point in the future but right now i want to get a decent M/K.

I have spend many hours searching internet and speaking to other gamers who had never used M/K prior to xim4 and the general feedback i received is that a game board would be a wise choice for somebody used to console gaming joy pads.

Before i invest the money in the above, i would like to know if they are compatible with the XiM 4 and if anybody has already got this set up and what they think of it.

Thanks in advance

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Xim4, Razor Tartarus and Naga
« Reply #1 on: 12:27 PM - 12/27/14 »
Welcome to the community and we are glad you are considering us.

I've never personally used the Naga and Tartarus. Hopefully someone can chime in about the Naga (and verify all the buttons work as they expect). Concerning the Tartarus, coming from a console background you may want to consider the Logitech G13 as it has analog control and switching to keyboard movement may be difficult or not desirable. But, if you goal is to learn M/K so you can ultimately compete, then I believe buying a "traditional" keyboard may be the way to go. Maybe someone who has completed can comment.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:48 PM - 12/27/14 »
I don't have a Naga, but I believe the Naga now uses the same ergonomics for its numeric pad that the G600 and some off-brand mice I have do.  Buttons all have unique angles and such.  I've grown quite fond of it, though it took a little time to realize you're apparently meant to operate the top six buttons of the pad with the tip of your thumb, and the bottom six with the inside of the knuckle below it.

It varies a bit by game, but I use a layout like this for my numpad:

selectvariesstart
squarevariestriangle
variesvariesvaries
crossvariescircle

I tend to have r1/l1 or r2/l2 on the left/right mouse buttons, so they don't go on the numpad.  The pair that isn't on the L/R buttons usually goes either on scroll up/down, the two stacked in the middle on the numpad, or the two at the ends of the third row above.

Being consistent about those makes it easier to remember where the buttons are when the game tells me to press circle, for instance.

The main reason I switched to an MMO mouse is that I use a Sony Nav controller, which only has a very small number of ill-placed buttons, so many buttons is an essential thing.  YMMV.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 02:07 AM - 01/03/15 »
I can confirm that all 12 side-buttons on the Naga 2014 work. They're assigned to 1 through = and the Xim4 picks them up correctly.

I have side-buttons configured for the d-pad on 2,4,6,8 as Secondary keys. Cross, Circle, Square, Triangle, Select and Start are all setup on the kb, along with the d-pad and non-shooting shoulders as Primary key. PS is Esc on the kb. ADS is L-click, Fire is R-click on the mouse (I'm a lefty). Melee is always scroll up, Change Weapon is scroll down.

I personally prefer a Z-Board Fang over the Logitech G13 or Tartarus / Orbweaver. The key placement and purpose is more clearly defined, so it's much easier to use if you come from a console background. My fingers get a little lost on the G13 as I use the arrows keys instead of WASD on a kb, which have more 'air' around them, hence the love for the Fang's separate Q,E,W,A,S,D keys.

The Fang is ambidextrous and has more than enough keys within reach of your thumb, index and little fingers to assign all console d-pad and face buttons. As a lefty, I can't use the G13 or Orbweaver's analog stick, which is the only real advantage I see over the Fang.

Fangs are rare as rocking-horse sh*t these days, so consider a SteelSeries Merc Stealth, which has a Fang essentially bolted onto the left of the keyboard. Two birds, one stone. No good for lefties (get a Fang), but then, very little in the world of gaming-grade peripherals is made for us.
« Last Edit: 03:15 AM - 01/03/15 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Yallix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:32 AM - 01/03/15 »
There is a second confirm about a lefty Naga 2014. :)

The only issue i have so far is Synapse 2.0 which it doesnt  allowed me to save configuration on the onboard memory of the mouse. The only buttons that cant be used on XIM 4 are the wheel-side buttons (When you move the wheel left or right). He recognizes them as scroll-down and scroll-up.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:12 PM - 01/03/15 »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I've added the Naga 2014 to the working list, with a caveat about horizontal scrolling.
« Last Edit: 03:17 PM - 01/03/15 by Aiken_Drum »