XIM Community

Halo MCC Odd Mouse Speeds  (Read 1777 times)

Offline skullface

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: sku11
Halo MCC Odd Mouse Speeds
« on: 06:47 AM - 11/20/14 »
Hello all,

First I'd like to say that the Halo MCC config(s) (for Halo 2A at least) feel absolutely great.  Only one downside that I have encountered.  When I move my mouse fast, I turn slower in game than if I moved my mouse slow.

I know that I read something saying that "well when you move the mouse fast its like quickly tapping the analog stick in that direction", but that isn't completely the issue. 

Even if I move my mouse slightly fast all the way across my desk, it is still significantly slower than if I had done it slowly.  This is the main issue.  For when people say that the analog stick is "pegged when your moving it fast" I don't think that it is.  How else would it be moving quicker when the mouse is moved slow.  It almost feels as if when the mouse is moving fast the XIM4 isn't receiving the inputs.

I'd also like to point out that I didn't notice this "issue" in other games, only Halo MCC.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Keyboard: Corsair K70
Mouse: Logitech G502

Offline BroTsla

• View Profile
Re: Halo MCC Odd Mouse Speeds
« Reply #1 on: 10:15 AM - 11/20/14 »
Also make sure you have ALL of the games sensitivity set to 10. I had H1,2,4 set to 10 but my H3 was set to 3 for whatever reason.

Offline ashleydoll86

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:45 AM - 11/20/14 »
I noticed this too, I am thinking this game could benefit from some good curves. I feel like the linear 1:1 setup doesn't feel very good in these MCC games for some reason.

I will try to mess around with finding a decent curve but I have barely had the time to play MCC lately due to my job.
Xbox One

Xbox 360 S

Gaming PC - Ivy Bridge 3570K @ 4.5ghz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 16 gigs G.Skill Sniper Series, EVGA GTX 760 4GB @ 1155 clock 1700 memory 1220 boost, XFX 850w PSU, sitting inside a CM HAF 922

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1ms, 144hz

MKB: Steel Series Sensei, Steel Series Merc Stealth, Steel Series QcK

Audio: Earforce DSS, Samson SR850 headphones

Mobile: Nokia Lumia 1520, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 64GB w/ type cover

Gaming roots: Wolf 3D, Doom, Half-life 1, Diablo 1 and 2, Ultima Online, CS 1.3, RTCW/ET, DAoC, Deus Ex, Goldeneye, Halo CE (PC version)

Offline skullface

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:26 PM - 11/20/14 »
I agree I think a curve would help.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:06 PM - 11/20/14 »
Console games have what's called a maximum turn speed, this is the amount your screen will move when the analog stick is pegged. All games have a different look mechanic and a different turn speed. Bungie decided it was best to use a low turn speed in Halo. The thing about games with low turn speeds is swiping your mouse faster or using a really high sensitivity will more than likely yield a slower turn. You will see less on screen movement. What's happening is you're trying to exceed the games max turn speed and it just won't let you turn any faster. This means you lose mouse surface space for your swipe and less of your swipe is used for your turn. You're wasting space. Try using low to medium sensitivity and use longer swipes that don't exceed the games turn speed (pay attention to the red light flashes). Reaching the limit is fine so don't be afraid to see those flashes but if you knowingly continue to accelerate your mouse after seeing that warning light then it's going to do more harm then good.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline skullface

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:56 PM - 11/20/14 »
I'm sorry if I misunderstood this but your saying that if you exceed maximum turn speed for in game, it will actually turn you under maximum turn speed?  Because that's what seems like is happening.  I had just assumed that hitting above maximum would yield maximum.  That isn't the case?

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #6 on: 02:05 PM - 11/20/14 »
This happens in all games, not just Halo.  It is an illusion that it "slows down" when in reality, you are just exceeding the maximum turn speed of the game, and burning up mouse pad space.  So you get less in-game turning per mouse pad inch, which creates the illusion of it moving slower.

Watch for the XIM4 warning light which will flash red.  When it does that, it means you have pegged the joystick.  What you need to learn to do, is move the mouse at the exact speed which pegs the joystick.  Moving the mouse too fast just burns up mouse pad space.   

Offline skullface

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:14 PM - 11/20/14 »
Ok I understand what your saying, but let me give you this instance.  If you move your mouse for a solid 1 second, A fast mouse movement (still one second in length) should rotate your screen more than 1 second of solid movement at a slower mouse speed.  It doesn't do this, it does the opposite.  Regardless of how far the mouse if moved it is 1 second at pegged speed and 1 second at not pegged speed.  The non-pegged speed rotates the screen more.  That is why it confuses me.  I feel like this may be difficult to show.. I have to get a video or something.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:31 PM - 11/20/14 »
If you move your mouse quickly for one second and stay under the turn speed limit you should see more movement than had you moved your mouse slowly for one second. If you go over the max turn speed then that additional mouse movement you used to swipe the mouse isn't used because the game can't turn that fast.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline Dale

• MVP
  • What would the great lion do?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DaleisGOD
« Reply #9 on: 03:52 PM - 11/20/14 »
Some people consistently reach the turn speed cap in COD (which is much higher)

so

its not going to be uncommon that you reach that cap in HALO.

It will take some getting used to if your a PC gamer... but halo has never been about aim - its an intelligence game.

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:08 PM - 11/20/14 »
Bottom line... when dealing with slow turn speed games and moving at max in-game speed, the amount of time you're moving your mouse becomes more important than how fast you move it.  Time > speed.  100% speed is 100% speed no matter how much faster you move the mouse.

You mention 1 second of slow turn = faster in game movement than 1 second of fast turn, but I assure you this is not the case.  I used to have this same "feeling" and I tested it thoroughly until I finally convinced myself it was all in my head, because it is.
XIM Apex | Xbox Series X | HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | Razer Basilisk V3 | Artisan Ninja FX Hayate OTSU

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:25 PM - 11/20/14 »
I'll just second mcdonamw's post.  Before I worked here I basically had the same experience that both of you did.  Seemed like turning decelerated when moving past the speed limit, but it's just an illusion.  It decelerates relative to your mouse motion, but in fact it just stays steady on 100% stick deflection and doesn't literally decelerate.

It's basically the same thing as a rev limiter in a car.  Gas it all you want, but if you're hitting the rev limiter, it won't go any faster, even if you absolutely floor it.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
« Reply #12 on: 07:04 PM - 11/20/14 »
I'll just second mcdonamw's post.  Before I worked here I basically had the same experience that both of you did.  Seemed like turning decelerated when moving past the speed limit, but it's just an illusion.  It decelerates relative to your mouse motion, but in fact it just stays steady on 100% stick deflection and doesn't literally decelerate.

It's basically the same thing as a rev limiter in a car.  Gas it all you want, but if you're hitting the rev limiter, it won't go any faster, even if you absolutely floor it.
Nice example Aiken!!
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline skullface

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12:12 PM - 11/22/14 »
So I figured out what my issue was.  It wasn't an issue with the XIM or the game.  My mouse was actually failing.  When I'd move the mouse fast the sensor would actually disconnect from the mouse because of a bad connection.  It hadn't happened until the MCC configs came out but that's when I noticed it.  I fixed the mouse now everything is perfect.