XIM Community

Is it possible to downgrade firmware?  (Read 3841 times)

Offline [SCA]COBRA

• View Profile
Is it possible to downgrade firmware?
« on: 02:23 PM - 11/13/14 »
Ever since updating from v0619 to the v1006 fw, my keyboard and/or mouse will sometimes (often) not be recognized when first plugged into the XIM4.  The only fix I've found is to remove/reconnect power to the XIM4 with the m/kb already connected.

At this time I do not have a KVM switch, so I manually disconnect the m/kb from my PC and plug them in when I want to switch over to the Xbox One.  Before updating, I never encountered this issue one time.  However, I immediately encountered it after updating.

It seems to happen about 1 out of 3 tries where either the keyboard or the mouse will not light up when plugged into the XIM4.

Is it possible to downgrade back to the v0619 fw?  I know some devices cannot go backwards, so I want to find out before I brick my XIM4.

Mouse: Logitech G500
Keyboard: Corsair K95

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to downgrade firmware?
« Reply #1 on: 03:50 PM - 11/13/14 »
You can flash 0619 again safely, BUT, only by using the Factory Reset option in the 0619 updater.  XIM4 knows how to upgrade your existing configs when the format changes in a new version, but for obvious reasons old versions do not know how to downgrade your upgraded configs, so reset is the only option.

At the very least, though, you can go into the Mouse -> Advanced section and the Buttons section and use the copy-to-clipboard button (overlapping rectangles) to copy your ballistics curves and your button bindings, respectively, to a text file for restoring after the reset.  This, plus copying down your Sens values, tend to cover most of what you'd need to re-create after a reset.

And yes, OBsIV knows people would like a better save/backup/restore option and it is on the official To Do List.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:54 PM - 11/13/14 »
As an aside, the 1006 firmware has an optimization to avoid USB bandwidth starvation in the presence of chat audio, and that is to skip re-scanning USB hubs for connections after a certain amount of time has passed.  I'm wondering if that's why sometimes you can plug successfully and sometimes not.

If you unplug the XIM4, then connect M+KB to it, then plug it back in, does it work every time?  This, as opposed to hot-plugging them while it's still on from last time.

Offline [SCA]COBRA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:06 PM - 11/13/14 »
You can flash 0619 again safely, BUT, only by using the Factory Reset option in the 0619 updater.  XIM4 knows how to upgrade your existing configs when the format changes in a new version, but for obvious reasons old versions do not know how to downgrade your upgraded configs, so reset is the only option.

At the very least, though, you can go into the Mouse -> Advanced section and the Buttons section and use the copy-to-clipboard button (overlapping rectangles) to copy your ballistics curves and your button bindings, respectively, to a text file for restoring after the reset.  This, plus copying down your Sens values, tend to cover most of what you'd need to re-create after a reset.

And yes, OBsIV knows people would like a better save/backup/restore option and it is on the official To Do List.

Thanks for the tip.  I never knew how to export my settings, so I'll use that before I downgrade.

As an aside, the 1006 firmware has an optimization to avoid USB bandwidth starvation in the presence of chat audio, and that is to skip re-scanning USB hubs for connections after a certain amount of time has passed.  I'm wondering if that's why sometimes you can plug successfully and sometimes not.

If you unplug the XIM4, then connect M+KB to it, then plug it back in, does it work every time?  This, as opposed to hot-plugging them while it's still on from last time.

Yes, it seems to work every time I reset the XIM4 with the m/kb already connected, though I haven't exactly kept track.  Either way, once I get a KVM switch, unplugging the XIM4 won't be an option so I'll stick with v0619 until it doesn't work anymore.

Offline BlessUp

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:43 PM - 11/14/14 »
I just downgraded kvm working again thank you Jesus!

Offline [SCA]COBRA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:07 PM - 11/20/14 »
Good news!  So far it seems that with the latest firmware, hotplugging the m/kb doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.  I will post back if anything changes in that regard, but it looks like this issue has been resolved in the v1114 fw.

Admin