XIM Community

How crucial is ballistics?  (Read 820 times)

Offline Titan

• View Profile
How crucial is ballistics?
« on: 07:11 PM - 11/02/14 »
I have never used ballistics but I think I read up a while ago that they are a huge game changer. What are ballistics and why might I be interested in it?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: How crucial is ballistics?
« Reply #1 on: 07:20 PM - 11/02/14 »
Ballistics were added for gamers that want non-linear control over their aiming (such as adding acceleration). In general, I wouldn't recommend using Ballistics as you lose 1:1 aiming. But, it could be a significant thing for people that play best with acceleration (or other non-linear behavior).
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Noquarter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:46 AM - 11/03/14 »
I used Mists BF4 tank ballistics model for the first time over the weekend and it is excellent.  I don't bother using ballistics for standard or ADS sighting as I find the normal smart profiles absolutely fine (though I do add 10% to the x/y axis).

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05:06 AM - 11/03/14 »
One reason why I go with a ballistics curve is to give myself the finer control over low-speed motion that I have to sacrifice somewhat when I up the in-game sens enough to get quick motion when I need it.

Initially I tended to make very aggressive curves that were very shallow or very steep, and they did work, but the problem was that the difference between one speed and the next was so significant that it was really quite difficult to develop muscle memory that was precise enough to move me exactly where I wanted to go at the exact speed I wanted.  1:1 would be ideal, but only if there were no upper and lower bounds on turn speed.

This is my current Destiny curve, for instance.  It begins as a curve and ends as a line.  This gets me the deceleration I need at low speeds, but then turns rapidly into predictable linear movement for most other use cases.  I've been using this shape for the past few weeks with Destiny, which is a game with an all-too-limited turn speed, and I think I've about hit the limit of tuning and tweaking with this one.  Any less of the curve gets me too little in return, and any more makes it harder to use.  I quite like it as-is, though, so that's okay.

I get the feeling that one person's curves seldom suit another, but if you want to fiddle with it, here's the pastable version.

Code: [Select]
>>> XIM4 START Paste >>>
X4MB:0003070C1219212A343F4A56626E7A8794A1AEBBC8
<<< XIM4 END   Paste <<<

Admin