XIM Community

XIM 5 suggestion to avoid software compatibility in the future  (Read 1279 times)

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
I was thinking about this the other day even though the problem doesn't apply to me it still made me wonder.

For the XIM 5 (not sure if it would be even possible on the 4) why don't you implement some sort of web interface much like routers have. At that points its all about rendering a web page which every OS can do.

I'm thinking it would need to be WiFi capable (preferably) at this point as to assign an IP address and connect wirelessly to your home network without having to worry about networking cables.

Just thought I'd put it out there. Wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't already been mentioned before.
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline willgk

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Fostot
  • PSN ID: Fostot
I second this. It would save from so many silly problems a lot of us experience.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
I was thinking about this the other day even though the problem doesn't apply to me it still made me wonder.

For the XIM 5 (not sure if it would be even possible on the 4) why don't you implement some sort of web interface much like routers have. At that points its all about rendering a web page which every OS can do.

I'm thinking it would need to be WiFi capable (preferably) at this point as to assign an IP address and connect wirelessly to your home network without having to worry about networking cables.

Just thought I'd put it out there. Wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't already been mentioned before.

So this is "possible" but they still won't be "platform independent" you are forgetting the application in the end does bluetooth connection.  They developed their own bluetooth stack, this means they'd have to write a client side plug-in (JAVA, Silverlight, Flash).  The following are some Examples (google: bluetooth web plugin), this means that unless they code this in Java this won't work in every browser.

Basically i'm saying all this to simply say, it isn't as simple as you are making it.  In this realm Desktop Apps serve their needs better (security, bluetooth connectivity). 

Offline tuffrabit

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
I actually brought this very idea up to OBsIV during the early alpha stages when they first figured out iOS was gonna be a big problem.

OBsIV dismissed it saying that he didn't want the product to be dependent on the presence of wi-fi and subject to network topology issues.  BT offered a much tighter and controllable XIM ecosystem, even with Apple's lameness.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline SlappyTang

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: SlappyTang

OBsIV dismissed it saying that he didn't want the product to be dependent on the presence of wi-fi and subject to network topology issues.

I agree with OBsIV. It's pretty simple to use as it is.

Offline nsignific

• View Profile
It doesn't need to depend on presence of WiFi.

It can be it's own access point. This would eliminate the need for bluetooth (just wifi to your XIM with any device and open a browser).

This is pretty easy to do (and cheap) and would be PLATFORM INDEPENDANT.

I have no vested interest in this idea, but it would work fine.