XIM Community

Corsair K65 RGB  (Read 9293 times)

Offline jackel1060

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Jackel 1060
Re: Corsair K65 RGB
« Reply #15 on: 09:52 PM - 10/17/14 »
after a few minutes of playing, it suddenly locked up and the XIM4 manager showed that the "S" key was being constantly pressed.

Which firmware are you on?  If you aren't already on 20141006, please try again after installing it (and the corresponding manager) from XIM4 Downloads Release Candidates and let us know if the stuck key still occurs.  Stuck keys are something the current build fixes for some hardware that was exhibiting the problem.

Yes, I am indeed running 20141006.  I can give it another try (I haven't returned the Corsair K65 RGB yet) if you'd like to confirm that this reproduces still.  Just let me know, and glad to provide any more testing data.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05:51 AM - 10/18/14 »
I would try updating the firmware on the K65 if you haven't already. Also have you tried it in BIOS mode using the switch on the keyboard?
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline jackel1060

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12:28 PM - 10/18/14 »
I would try updating the firmware on the K65 if you haven't already. Also have you tried it in BIOS mode using the switch on the keyboard?

Just did the firmware update, installed the Corsair software on my PC, went through the 143 page user manual, and setup my own simple color scheme.  This keyboard is still a nightmare when trying to get it to work with XIM4.  Like other Corsair keyboards, it will only work in BIOS mode with the XIM.  Unfortunately, this means that you can only use the default lighting setup (which is red for all keys, and pulsing white for WASD and arrows).  The custom lighting setups can only be accessed if you use the non-BIOS mode.

It is just way too hard to get it to work with the XIM4.  Sometimes, the keyboard would not be detected at all by the XIM4, and I would have to attempt several permutations of unplugging and replugging the keyboard's 2 USB plugs and the XIM4 to get it to work. Regarding the 2 USB plugs, the manual says that you only have to plug in one if using a PC with USB 3.0 connectors.  But if using a PC with USB 2.0 connectors, you have to plug in one specific USB plug first, so that kind of sensitivity about plug order says something about its complex design.

It's an amazing keyboard if you're only going to be using it with a PC and can be running the Corsair software. But its incredible programmability makes it way buggy when being used in non-PC scenarios.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01:13 PM - 10/18/14 »
Yep I know it was going to be a PITA when using with the XIM that's why I returned it and got the WidowMaker Chroma. Not sure what the hell Corsair is doing that it requires it to have a BIOS switch on it but it's stupid.
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03:03 PM - 10/18/14 »
Sorry to hear it, guys.  I put the K65 RGB on the working list, since it does technically work, but I've added a note to the Requires BIOS Mode tag that says some features, such as custom lighting, may be disabled in the process.  This way people know it CAN work if they need it in a pinch, but if they want custom backlighting, they're not gonna have a good time.  I also noted the connection+power requirements.

It's really an unfortunate coincidence of two companies' good intentions (ours to provide you a tiny standalone box to adapt your peripherals, and theirs to provide you with bells and whistles on a Windows PC) not intersecting well.  I don't think they're bad for doing things the way they do, since using their stuff in the right context works well.  It's just unfortunate.
« Last Edit: 03:19 PM - 10/18/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline Makave22

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: XxThunderFoxX
« Reply #20 on: 02:23 PM - 10/26/14 »
@#$% I was hoping to get this to work, It works well in Bios Mode, but I can't make the lights stay solid, whenever I hit a key the lights fade away and then it lights up bright again.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06:58 PM - 10/26/14 »
@#$% I was hoping to get this to work, It works well in Bios Mode, but I can't make the lights stay solid, whenever I hit a key the lights fade away and then it lights up bright again.
I noticed that when it was in BIOS mode IN Windows it was acting really weird. That's how I knew that even if it did work in BIOS mode with the XIM4 it was going to look weird. I really liked the keyboard but Corsair is doing some truly stupid stuff with their keyboards and mice.

Offline jackel1060

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10:41 AM - 10/27/14 »

Yep, I saw similar behavior where the full keyboard's backlighting would flash on and off each time I press a key, which turns the backlit keys into a very annoying visual.