XIM Community

Corsair K65 RGB  (Read 9151 times)

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
Corsair K65 RGB
« on: 12:45 PM - 10/12/14 »
Anyone know if this works? I just picked it up to replace my Razer Widow Maker Ultimate.
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: Corsair K65 RGB
« Reply #1 on: 12:57 PM - 10/12/14 »
We've had bad reports on both the M65 RGB and the K65 RGB (mouse and keyboard).  If you mean to use it with XIM4 only, I suggest you don't open it and take it back.

Something they're doing with the RGB models is deviating from the mouse/keyboard standard behavior.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:47 PM - 10/12/14 »
Well it has a bios selector on it does that make a difference?  Already opened it and love it. Dammit just can't win!

One thing I don't understand is why it has 2 USB male cables. There are no USB inputs on the keyboard so it doesn't make sense to me.
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:04 PM - 10/12/14 »
It could be that the lighting takes more power than you might expect, so it needs a second port for the extra power.

If it has a BIOS selector switch, I'm surprised one setting or the other doesn't work.  You've tried both?

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06:06 PM - 10/12/14 »
It could be that the lighting takes more power than you might expect, so it needs a second port for the extra power.

If it has a BIOS selector switch, I'm surprised one setting or the other doesn't work.  You've tried both?
You mean tried both with the XIM4? I don't have a XIM yet. Ordering end of this month. So far I've just left it on the "1" setting. It has 4 + a BIOS mode.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:04 PM - 10/12/14 »
Ah!  I see.  I didn't realize that.  Okay, well, if it has a dedicated switch for putting it in BIOS mode, then I'd be a little more optimistic that it will work with XIM4.

However, there's still the matter of the extra USB plug.  If it needs that, you'll obviously run out of ports.  I'd say... hmm... yeah, I'd say try it with one or the other of the plugs first.  If it's a no-go either way, maybe plug a USB hub with enough ports (presumably at least 4) into the XIM4, and plug all of your devices into that, rather than into the XIM4. 

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07:29 PM - 10/12/14 »
Well I plan on plugging the extra one into my PC (while it's on) and the one that handles data into the USB switch that'll go to the XIM. I'll report back on how it goes. Would hate to return this keyboard it's really nice.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:32 AM - 10/13/14 »
Can you use the keyboard in Windows while in BIOS mode? I'm not home to try it just curious what the difference is.

Offline SlappyTang

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: SlappyTang
« Reply #8 on: 07:57 AM - 10/15/14 »
I would recommend the M45 from Corsair. It does not have the cool sniper button or the fancy lights, but it works great and it's a lot cheaper.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:49 AM - 10/15/14 »
Just going to return the K65. Elite member at best buy so they never give me issues haha picking up the black widow chroma.

Offline krnlpud

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: krnlpud 101
« Reply #10 on: 01:29 AM - 10/17/14 »
You should at least try it out just to see if it works, because then it can be added to the compatibility list if it works or not, ive had my eyes on this keyboard as well, I have the m65 and the XIM4 just waiting to pick up a keyboard tomorrow, if this does not work, then im going with the razer chroma knowing that it works.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:38 AM - 10/17/14 »
I already returned it. It was a buggy and weird keyboard. Sometimes the backlight wouldn't come on till after I was in Windows which tells me if it works weird in Windows with the software installed its pros not not going to work well on the XIM 4.

Also there is a BIOS switch on the back and if I needed to switch to that every time I wanted to use it on the XIM it would just be a PITA not to mention its all going through a KVM switch. I'll just stick to what I know works.

Something I am excited about is the upcoming Ducky Shine Mini. There is no software that goes with it and it can literally work on any OS so there is no doubt in my mind that it would work fine with the XIM.

Offline jackel1060

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Jackel 1060
« Reply #12 on: 07:16 PM - 10/17/14 »
I just tried the Corsair K65 RGB, and it definitely has a lot of issues working with XIM4.  A few notes of what I found:

- It requires 2 USB plugs to be plugged in. I'm guessing this is because it draws more power than the standard USB 2.0 port supplies.  Thus, it must be used with a powered USB hub.
- It seems to require a PC to configure the lighting.  Its default lighting mode was all red keys, except the WASD and arrow keys which are white.  The only thing I can adjust on the keyboard itself is brightness level. I'm guessing that it will remember the custom lighting configuration that you set with the PC software, but didn't get around to trying this out.
- After plugging the K65 RGB into a Pluggable powered USB 2.0 hub, and then plugged the hub into the XIM4, it actually worked!  But after a few minutes of playing, it suddenly locked up and the XIM4 manager showed that the "S" key was being constantly pressed. I hot plugged the keyboard and power cycled the XIM4, and no change (the "S" key remained locked).

At that point, I gave up and plugged the CM Storm Rapidfire-i (which works very reliably with XIM4), and merrily won the Destiny Control match that I had started.

My take: this is a very high bling bling keyboard that is so sophisticated that it requires a PC to make full use of its numerous features. Definitely not something I would recommend for XIM4 players.

Offline krnlpud

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: krnlpud 101
« Reply #13 on: 07:24 PM - 10/17/14 »
I just tried the Corsair K65 RGB, and it definitely has a lot of issues working with XIM4.  A few notes of what I found:

- It requires 2 USB plugs to be plugged in. I'm guessing this is because it draws more power than the standard USB 2.0 port supplies.  Thus, it must be used with a powered USB hub.
- It seems to require a PC to configure the lighting.  Its default lighting mode was all red keys, except the WASD and arrow keys which are white.  The only thing I can adjust on the keyboard itself is brightness level. I'm guessing that it will remember the custom lighting configuration that you set with the PC software, but didn't get around to trying this out.
- After plugging the K65 RGB into a Pluggable powered USB 2.0 hub, and then plugged the hub into the XIM4, it actually worked!  But after a few minutes of playing, it suddenly locked up and the XIM4 manager showed that the "S" key was being constantly pressed. I hot plugged the keyboard and power cycled the XIM4, and no change (the "S" key remained locked).

At that point, I gave up and plugged the CM Storm Rapidfire-i (which works very reliably with XIM4), and merrily won the Destiny Control match that I had started.

My take: this is a very high bling bling keyboard that is so sophisticated that it requires a PC to make full use of its numerous features. Definitely not something I would recommend for XIM4 players.
awesome thanks man for clearing that up, i have been on the wall between the corsair k65 and the razer chrona, so now i know to stay away from the corsair until the bugs get worked out.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09:46 PM - 10/17/14 »
after a few minutes of playing, it suddenly locked up and the XIM4 manager showed that the "S" key was being constantly pressed.

Which firmware are you on?  If you aren't already on 20141006, please try again after installing it (and the corresponding manager) from XIM4 Downloads Release Candidates and let us know if the stuck key still occurs.  Stuck keys are something the current build fixes for some hardware that was exhibiting the problem.