XIM Community

What can run Plex to my TV?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
What can run Plex to my TV?
« on: 07:04 AM - 10/02/14 »
Currently I'm using my PS4 to effectively stream movies off my Plex Server via the PS4 web browser. Not extremely smooth or issue free but for the most part it does a very good job.

I'm selling my PS4 and want to replace with with something that can stream movies from my Plex server to my TV.

Now what I'm wondering is if I can use Chromecast and cast it to my TV from my iPhone 6? If so does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm just wondering how well it can stream everything over WiFi. Router is only like 20 feet away.
« Last Edit: 07:15 AM - 10/02/14 by damstr »
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline Skiim83

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Skiim83
Re: What can run Plex to my TV?
« Reply #1 on: 07:38 AM - 10/02/14 »
   Xbox One is coming out with a user created Plex app soon. If that isnt an option many TV's support DLNA, my LG simply plugs power into the wall and I stream my Plex to it wirelessly. If your TV also isnt an option then many devices will do that, I would suggest a Chromecast for cost effectiveness, or a Roku3 is supposed to work well, however pretty much any android TV boxtop or apple TV is capable. The reason I bought my Xbone 2 days ago is for the media savviness. Your PS4 will be DLNA supported in 2015 (expect around March), however Xbone will gain this in their October update this month.
   Your quality of streaming is going to depend on your upload speed, at only 5Mbit up I stream basically flawlessly, also ~20' away, 1080p has occasional stuttering depending on the day.

Also if you wanted there are attachments to enable your tv to show exactly whats on your phone without lag, so this could be an option if you wanted for now, can't remember the name tho.

Offline AntiM

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: AntiM59
« Reply #2 on: 07:43 AM - 10/02/14 »
I can tell you it works on Roku3.  But it's not without issues.

Offline n0skills90

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: II BrT n0skills
« Reply #3 on: 08:22 AM - 10/02/14 »
Is your plex server on your local network? If it's not I'm not sure it would work 'flawlessly' as haven't tried personally, but mine is and i just use Chromecast with my android phone (I'm sure there is a similar app for ios though). Works absolutely fine, it doesn't quite have all the features the PC app does however I can't really fault how easy it is to scroll through your library and just put a program on.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #4 on: 12:07 PM - 10/02/14 »
chromecast, roku3 all sorts of options

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06:14 AM - 10/03/14 »
I ended up with Chromecast and loving it so far. I didn't get a chance to play around with the bitrate but what have you all been using for local wifi?

XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline Nyarlathotep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:22 PM - 10/04/14 »
Chromecast is the cheap option (I use Mezzmo to send videos to it).

For a box that will play nearly anything natively, check out the KDLINKS HD720. I added a 4TB hard disk to mine and rip my BDs and DVDs directly to it over the network.
Xbox One | CH FighterStick USB | CST2545W Trackball | LapGear MyDesk | XIM4 | Asus VE278H | Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS 7.1 | Behringer X18 | Live Wire HA204 | Audio Technica AT803 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Quote from: amak1
Cool setup man... you def earn "sound whore of the year" award lol

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07:05 AM - 10/06/14 »
Little update. I played with the bitrate. Set to 12Mbs and absolutely no stuttering in the audio or video. Picture looks crystal clear so I'm not going to raise it anymore. This was with a 13GB movie. Loving this little $35 thing so far.

Offline solly

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Solicitor 501
« Reply #8 on: 10:14 AM - 10/14/14 »
plex app is out for the xbox one, however they want you to get a plex pass to "preview" it. They say the xbox one client will not require plex pass forever. Just a vague reference to "we're working hard to bring the plex app to xbox users without a plex pass in the future"

vague!

I am curious how they are going to monetize it.