XIM Community

Sennheiser G4ME Zero/One with XBO  (Read 7434 times)

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
Sennheiser G4ME Zero/One with XBO
« on: 03:11 PM - 09/25/14 »
I'm coming back to the XBO end of the year since now all my friends have it and I want to play Advanced Warfare with them.

I currently have DT 990's and an Antlion ModMic  which I absolutely love that I use on my PC. I used this setup with my Xbox One before back when it came out but I also had to use an Amp and Astro Mix Amp. IMO this was a pain in the @#$% to turn on and just in general mess with. I could never get it just right.

What I'm looking at getting for headphones is either the Sennheiser G4ME Zero or the One's. The Zero's are 150 Ohm's closed back while the One's are 50 Ohm open back. I prefer close back this time around (DT 990's are open) but not sure if it will be a PITA to drive the 150 Ohm Zero's.

Also if I purchase a Y adapter for the headphone/mic cables and plug into the controller chat adapter is it possible to get simulated surround sound?
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline Philosofikal

• View Profile
Re: Sennheiser G4ME Zero/One with XBO
« Reply #1 on: 04:02 PM - 09/25/14 »
High end Sennheiser drivers take a significant amount of power to reach their full potential. They almost always have a massive impedance spike in the bass range. They're going to be a PITA to drive regardless of which one you choose, unless you like flabby, sloppy bass.

Illustration: http://goo.gl/Fr9Rze

Why not just get a Beyerdynamic MMX 300? They're basically a DT770 tweaked for gaming, a perfect compliment to your MMX 300 if you're looking for a similar sound but a different use case.

You should also be aware, however, that closed headphones are not going to give you anywhere near the same kind of sound stage or directional accuracy an open headphone will. If this concerns you, you might want to look into the ATH-ADG-1 (based on the ATH-AD900x, a set of headphones known for being absolutely god tier for gaming usage).
« Last Edit: 04:10 PM - 09/25/14 by Philosofikal »

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:17 PM - 09/25/14 »
I understand that but can the chat adapter do simulated surround sound yet or is still only 2.1?
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
« Reply #3 on: 05:50 PM - 09/25/14 »
I understand that but can the chat adapter do simulated surround sound yet or is still only 2.1?
I don't think the chat adapter will ever do SSS.  That'll be the day.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline GestapoSpank

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: GestapoSpank
« Reply #4 on: 06:16 PM - 09/25/14 »

Well both headsets he included I believe are stereo which is simply left and right (2 channel). The  Sennheiser G4ME Zero/One is an acoustic headset so I'm sure the sound quality should be good.

You'll need this

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/headsets/stereo-headset-adapter#fbid=Lc3rLaPwbv9

You will also need the latest firmware for your XIM found here.

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=35334.0

Offline Philosofikal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:20 AM - 09/26/14 »

Well both headsets he included I believe are stereo which is simply left and right (2 channel).

Surround sound IS stereo, except with simulated head-related transfer functions added. Basically, it processes the sound to try to mimic the effect of the air and the head meat between a speaker and your ear drums.

The Sennheiser G4ME Zero/One is an acoustic headset so I'm sure the sound quality should be good.

This is not a real audio term.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06:31 AM - 09/26/14 »
So the chat adapter won't be able to drive the 50 Ohm One's for sure? I plugged my 250 Ohm DT 990's into my PS4 controller and while it wasn't terribly loud it still was perfectly playable. I would expert the 50 Ohm One's would be much easier to drive but again I'm a total noob when it comes to audio stuff for the most part.

I may say f it and just pick up the Turtle Beach XO Fours. Cheap and I know they will work just fine.

Offline Philosofikal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:07 AM - 09/26/14 »
So the chat adapter won't be able to drive the 50 Ohm One's for sure? I plugged my 250 Ohm DT 990's into my PS4 controller and while it wasn't terribly loud it still was perfectly playable.

Volume is only partially related to proper driving. You need both the proper amount of current AND voltage.

I would expert the 50 Ohm One's would be much easier to drive but again I'm a total noob when it comes to audio stuff for the most part.

Most consumer-oriented headphones are in the 32-ohm range, so more or less, yes.

I may say f it and just pick up the Turtle Beach XO Fours. Cheap and I know they will work just fine.

Basically everything Turtle Beach makes is rubbish. I would not recommend this.

What's the problem with using a Mixamp? Once you get it set up once it should be just fine.

Offline GestapoSpank

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: GestapoSpank
« Reply #8 on: 10:32 AM - 09/26/14 »
This is not a real audio term.

The term Acoustic by itself is referring to sound reverberating of walls or the body of an instrument.

"This room has great acoustics!"

An acoustic headset is one that supposedly (I'm sure its used loosely) that in some manner sends the sound directly to the ear as well as reverberating lost sound back into the ear. They claim the material in the headset is able to appropriately echo lost sound (sound that didn't travel into the ear initially) back to the ear giving it greater depth (more reverb).

It probably is total horse @#$% but I'm sure someone out there is benchmarking these things and reviewing them and some sucker is paying $200 for a pair of Beats by Dre.

I don't know much about simulated stereo. Honestly, I think sound is by far one of the few things I can skimp on and no one has personally shown me a difference between a pair of $400 headsets vs a $100 pair.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12:27 PM - 09/26/14 »
What's the problem with using a Mixamp? Once you get it set up once it should be just fine.
I used the 2013 Astro edition before and it had a TON of feedback. Was so annoying between matches when there was no sound.

The earlier edition (I think 2010 model) had practically zero static. It just seemed like a hassle. I also had an external amp again. Just too many daisy chained things. It was PITA to be honest.

Offline Philosofikal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:32 PM - 09/27/14 »
An acoustic headset is one that supposedly (I'm sure its used loosely) that in some manner sends the sound directly to the ear as well as reverberating lost sound back into the ear.

That's my point. By your definition every single headphone on the market is an "acoustic headset". It's patently redundant because all headsets are "acoustic".

I don't know much about simulated stereo. Honestly, I think sound is by far one of the few things I can skimp on and no one has personally shown me a difference between a pair of $400 headsets vs a $100 pair.

You should come to my house and listen to my Stax.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/srm-t1.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/sr-lambda-pro.htm

I used the 2013 Astro edition before and it had a TON of feedback. Was so annoying between matches when there was no sound.

Are you sure you set it up right? I had a 2013 Mixamp and I never had this problem. I got rid of mine though because the DAC and amp weren't up to audio snuff IMO, so I got a different, much more complicated solution.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01:34 PM - 09/27/14 »
Are you sure you set it up right? I had a 2013 Mixamp and I never had this problem. I got rid of mine though because the DAC and amp weren't up to audio snuff IMO, so I got a different, much more complicated solution.
Yeah I'm sure because when I plugged in the older 2010 model I think it worked perfectly fine no hiss even when turned up loud.

I REALLY want the Sennheiser Zero's and surround sound. I  just hate that I have to use an external Amp and with that just comes more @#$% wires. haha

« Last Edit: 01:44 PM - 09/27/14 by damstr »

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07:10 PM - 09/27/14 »
I just came across the Turtle Beach 500X. Completely wireless including chat which is done through USB like the Astro's are on the PS4.

I'm strongly considering them for $229 and for zero problems since we use XIM there will be no problems there.

Offline Philosofikal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03:30 AM - 10/22/14 »
Wireless: instant disqualification.

Offline gahagafaka

• MVP
  • The Avian Floo
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: The Worst Ever
  • PSN ID: crack_monk
« Reply #14 on: 06:53 AM - 10/22/14 »
all you have to do is plug the audio jack into the mixamp then the mic jack into the chat adapter on the controller... 100% certain thats all you need to do
Lion tamer, Goat slayer, Bird brains, Narnian