XIM Community

XIMCommander - Initial ideas and call for comments  (Read 71201 times)

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: XIMCommander
« Reply #45 on: 02:50 PM - 09/07/14 »
Are you doing everything Aiken?  The SDK and the Commander software?  I know you're a C/C++ guy like OBsIV is.  Not much of a chance of getting stuff in .net is it?  Or much less Ruby?  It doesn't matter much, whatever the SDK is in, I'll end up wrapping it in a few things.
Well, you saw what OBs said about the SDK itself.  However, if that changes at some point, I personally am not averse to .NET bindings of some sort.  It might take some marshaling, of course.  I don't think there's any chance that we would write an SDK in a directly-CLI/CLR-compatible manner, because that would inhibit portability.  Better to go the other way around.  But don't quote me on that, because that who thing is just a big question mark.

Anyway, I noted it in the list, at least.  Thanks!

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02:51 PM - 09/07/14 »
theres a windows 7 + earlier and windows 8.1 version aiken, i hope you bought the correct one for your OS
I checked first.  The cable is identical, they just wanted to make sure people would still buy it with the newer OS.  :)  I bought the win8 one and I'm using it successfully on win7.

I appreciate the warning anyway.  :)

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #47 on: 06:15 PM - 09/07/14 »
It doesn't matter much Aiken.  The previous SDK was a C lib.  I used managed C++ and wrapped it up.  Should be able to do something similarly this time around.

Offline Joker76

• No asterisks in this lifetime, only scoreboards.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Drunkn Joker
« Reply #48 on: 06:46 PM - 09/07/14 »
I didn't read all the posts, but I didn't see this suggested in the OP.

Is it possible to add keyboard passthrough for typing messages? Maybe via a hotkey.

Thanks and looking forward to this.

Offline cane

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 07:37 PM - 09/07/14 »
Just adding my accessibility needs for gaming as requested. I use the Logitech gaming software (LGS) with my Extreme 3D Pro joystick. I use OCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator. This thing went belly up after a ponzi scheme so not sure what info you could get on it. I use a SmartNav head tracking mouse in conjunction with a Kensington trackball. Honestly the head mouse wears me out so trying to get my hands on the Tobii EyeX controller and/or the Mirametrix S2 controller. These use eye tracking for mouse movement and will give me a response time of an average gamer instead of wearing myself out and getting hammered in shooters online. I gave that part up and just stuck with campaigns because I was/am pretty much reduced to camping. If that wasn't a big enough list, I also use built in windows voice control.

Please let me know if I can provide any useful input. Thanks for your efforts on this!

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 08:27 PM - 09/07/14 »
I didn't read all the posts, but I didn't see this suggested in the OP.

Is it possible to add keyboard passthrough for typing messages? Maybe via a hotkey.

Thanks and looking forward to this.

It will only be able to do what XIM4 itself can do.  XIM4 doesn't do text/keyboard activity, so unfortunately, the answer's unavoidably "no" at this point.  Sorry.  :-\

I'll add it to the request list, but you need to get that ability implemented in the firmware before I can have anything to pass it to, and for that, you need to convince OBs, which I'm pretty certain is tried about once a week.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 09:11 PM - 09/07/14 »
Just adding my accessibility needs for gaming as requested. I use the Logitech gaming software (LGS) with my Extreme 3D Pro joystick. I use OCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator. This thing went belly up after a ponzi scheme so not sure what info you could get on it.
Found some evidence of an SDK, but not the SDK itself.  If you can create DInput or XInput events with it, that's all that really matters, though.  Same with your other input devices.

I also use built in windows voice control.
Good thing to point out.  I think that one's esoteric enough that I wouldn't have thought of it.  I'm not sure it produces regular input events, so it may take some specific support.

I'll add these.  Thanks!

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 04:17 AM - 09/08/14 »
as another idea

frank and malto are using a wireless connection for their mouse and keyboard solutions, maybe we can achieve that with the Xim Manager too?
i think its a DS4 - PC communication, actually i havent followed their latest achievements so im not absolutly sure

obsiv wanted to go that route too  in the beginninguntil the true usb mode came up
he said doing this could mean some weeks of coding, but he already had an idea/conecpt on how to do it
his words where like its not hard but lots of work or so

the wireless way would guarantee sixaxis, touchpad and audio useage of the DS4, the benefits are pretty big
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 04:30 AM - 09/08/14 »
frank and malto are using a wireless connection for their mouse and keyboard solutions, maybe we can achieve that with the Xim Manager too?

I don't know Frank and Malto, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Anyway, if the XIM4 itself can't do it, then Manager and Commander can't either, because all they do is tell the XIM4 to do stuff.  If I tell XIM4 to make me a sandwich, I'm going to go hungry.  Same idea with stuff like touchpad and sixsense.  You have to get OBs and Orbital to get that working first, if it's possible.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 04:33 AM - 09/08/14 »
frank and malto are obsiv biggest brain competitors, those three worked together to achieve the mouse and keyboard solution on the PS4
here you have their homepages, in franks PS4 history you can read up quite a lot about the progress
frank is actually also part of this forum, a really nice guy with a selfmade headphone stand i also want!!! ;)

frank zhao: http://eleccelerator.com/
malto: http://blog.gimx.fr/

aiken maybe have a word with obsiv, he might give you the concept he had behind the wireless solution, then you can decide if its worth it in regards of the amount of work
surely not a launch feature of Xim Commander, but maybe some projekt for the long run :)
malto actually has his concept public in his own wiki, maybe thats a help too
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Winnnie

• MVP
  • The 'Pished' Brit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 08:04 AM - 09/08/14 »
~Early days i know~

But is there a possible target date that you are aiming for? Say end of year for instance?

Thanks!

Winnnnnie
UK TEAM XIM STREAMER.

Live on Mon//Weds//Fri//Sun
Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnie

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01:15 PM - 09/08/14 »
Hey, guys...

From my original post:

... Especially, let's avoid arguing about the "not on the table" points above, okay?  :)  If you guys really insist on arguing any of those points, please start up a separate thread and take your arguments direct to OBsIV, since I defer to him.

Please note this and take any arguments about macros or autofire or the like direct to OBsIV in another thread.  This is not the appropriate place for it and I am not the appropriate person to argue with.

I'm splitting the existing argument into another thread.

Edit: Here's the other thread.  Please feel free to argue your points, I don't mean to stifle them, I just mean to keep the two subjects separate.  It's counter-productive in this thread.

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=35817.0
« Last Edit: 01:28 PM - 09/08/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 01:25 PM - 09/08/14 »
~Early days i know~

But is there a possible target date that you are aiming for? Say end of year for instance?

Thanks!

Winnnnnie
I just got the source code package yesterday and I need to make a proposal for OBsIV so we can hammer out the details on the task.  I cannot say for certain yet what the scope will be, and thus not the timeframe either.

However, I do see it being much sooner than end-of-year.  I consider XIMCommander to be a very high priority for some users, e.g. those with special needs, so it is not going to be a task taken lightly or slowly.  I have some minor special needs myself, and those alone can be very frustrating.  We have some users who have much more significant issues to solve than I, so I feel a sense of urgency.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07:35 PM - 09/10/14 »
As an aside, I went ahead and bought a nicely-priced XIM3 off of ebay today, so I'm going to be able to directly compare the previous version with what I'm working on.

Okay, I managed to travel back in time...

Seems to be working.  Now I can try out the old software and user apps.  :)

(With thanks to user Strider777 for the good price, apparently, though I don't think he's actually active here anymore.)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 07:40 PM - 09/10/14 »
Great Scott!

back to the future reference.. I'll go now.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos