XIM Community

Buzzing in headphones  (Read 2503 times)

Offline turbogti

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: trbogti
Buzzing in headphones
« on: 05:18 AM - 09/04/14 »
Please forgive me if this topic has already been covered. If so, please kindly direct me to the discussion.  At any rate, from day one my xbox one controller has buzzed through my headset when it is connected to the charge and play cable. I'm on my third controller now and all three have done this. I feared that I would have the same issue with xim 4 but hoped it wouldn't be an issue. But alas I finally got my xim 4 up and running today and it was immediately apparent that it was buzzing through the headset. I don't think it's the headphones (wired turtle beach x11's with the dds dolby digital sound processor to simulate surround sound) because the headsets work just fine with xim 3 on xbox 360 and in all other applications. I only get the buzzing when the controller is charging, which is a major issue because essentially the controller is always acting as though it were charging with xim 4. I have the microsoft chat adapter to allow old styles headsets to be used with xbox one controller; the buzzing goes away when this chat adapter is disconnected from the controller so the issue is definitely associated with the chat adapter. However I play with friends so being able to chat is a must. Does anyone have any sort of work-around or any suggestions? I can't use the kinect for chat because I live in an apartment and I regularly use language that you could not scream lol. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 05:40 AM - 09/04/14 by turbogti »
  :) If only I could play at work....

Offline Winnnie

• MVP
  • The 'Pished' Brit
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzing in headphones
« Reply #1 on: 05:42 AM - 09/04/14 »
Hiya!

I tried lots of different options, this was my final solution, and its working just fine:

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=30917.msg450290#msg450290

~Winnnnnnnnnie~
UK TEAM XIM STREAMER.

Live on Mon//Weds//Fri//Sun
Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnie

Offline turbogti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:19 AM - 09/04/14 »
Thanks for the input. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "ferrite"? I know what a ground loop isolator us. us that the issue, a ground loop?

Offline Winnnie

• MVP
  • The 'Pished' Brit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:28 AM - 09/04/14 »
The ferrite is that huge round thing on the usb cable from the xim to controller.
Now, do U need it? I can't answer that, but let me find the clip of what it was like before
UK TEAM XIM STREAMER.

Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnie

Offline Winnnie

• MVP
  • The 'Pished' Brit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:31 AM - 09/04/14 »
Terrible noise:

http://www.twitch.tv/drunkiemunkie/c/4910150

when using chat.

Win
UK TEAM XIM STREAMER.

Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnie

Offline Trickeye

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Trickeye
  • PSN ID: Mick-Trick
« Reply #5 on: 09:23 AM - 09/04/14 »
Can probably get away with a micro-USB cable that already has a ferrite core:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L18S0E/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
"When I realized what I had turned out to be was a lousy, two-bit pool hustler and a drunk, I wasn't depressed at all. I was glad to have a profession."
-Danny McGoorty

Offline Sif Noob

• MVP
  • As If!!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
  • Gamertag: sif noob
  • PSN ID: T3h_GrayWo1f3
« Reply #6 on: 12:00 PM - 09/04/14 »
i had buzzing in my cans too, it turned out i had a dodgy 3.5mm 4 pole y-cable
replacing that fixed it.
AD700+DSS2/ g500s/ CM QuickFire TK/ asus VX238H/ xbone/ x360/ ps3/ ps4/ xim4!- FTW :P

Offline turbogti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:49 PM - 09/07/14 »
Thanks for the help. For anyone reading this in the future with a similar issue, all I had to do to resolve the noise was power the dss via a wall plug usb adapter, such as the one that comes with most phone chargers. Apparently you can't power the xim 4 and the dss with the same device. Now I don't get any feedback or buzzing.

Offline MarikCraven

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:10 PM - 09/08/14 »
I have that issue when using the stream port on my mixamp pro. Same solution plug it into a charger but when I want to use it on PC it's a no go because it uses that cable for chat. The solution for the mixamp pro is to separate the power and the data wires and make a custom USB cable that connects the same to the mixamp but has the power and data separated all the way down the line and have two usb connections at the other end, one for the power that you connect into power and one for the data that you plug into the PC. There are instructions online a a guy who makes them for $30 us dollars. Crazy expensive.

I just hold the USB connection while licking the power socket. Works great and is a decent pick me up.

Offline Trickeye

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:31 PM - 09/08/14 »
I have that issue when using the stream port on my mixamp pro. Same solution plug it into a charger but when I want to use it on PC it's a no go because it uses that cable for chat. The solution for the mixamp pro is to separate the power and the data wires and make a custom USB cable that connects the same to the mixamp but has the power and data separated all the way down the line and have two usb connections at the other end, one for the power that you connect into power and one for the data that you plug into the PC. There are instructions online a a guy who makes them for $30 us dollars. Crazy expensive.

I just hold the USB connection while licking the power socket. Works great and is a decent pick me up.

Or you can buy USB y-cables for dirt cheap off Amazon. Mini USB cable (one you would use on the Astro Mixamp) could be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28107-Mini-B-Y-Cable/dp/B0013LQD7Y
"When I realized what I had turned out to be was a lousy, two-bit pool hustler and a drunk, I wasn't depressed at all. I was glad to have a profession."
-Danny McGoorty

Offline MarikCraven

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07:37 PM - 09/08/14 »

Or you can buy USB y-cables for dirt cheap off Amazon. Mini USB cable (one you would use on the Astro Mixamp) could be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28107-Mini-B-Y-Cable/dp/B0013LQD7Y

I'm pretty sure that cable has extra through the second USB connection so the first one has both data and power and the second connection has just power for things that require more like hard drives or external bays.

The problem is that the data and power are coiled in the same wrapping and for audio it causes a buzz. The solution is to take the two power cables and separate them from the two data, wrap them back up and have USB connections at the end of both pairs.

If data and power for use are so close together it creates that annoying hum/buzz sound but with the Mixamp pro it just happens for the stream port.....sucks if I ever want to record that.

Offline Trickeye

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08:05 PM - 09/08/14 »
Hm. Good point, according to the description it does look like it provides power on the 'data' line. There are others, one of those may isolate it, but your guy might be a decent line on getting a bit more of a guarantee.

Oddly enough while putzing around I found this dude that makes headphone amps out of Altoid and other similar tins:

http://www.amazon.com/Audiophile-headphone-amplifier-quality-parts-Altoids/dp/B00GPV7AH4

It's so cool I have to buy one now.
-Danny McGoorty