XIM Community

SteelSeries Merc Stealth  (Read 2816 times)

Offline bubbblehead

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: bubbblehead ss
SteelSeries Merc Stealth
« on: 03:28 PM - 09/01/14 »
I have this keyboard.  I've used it for a while, with the XIM3, the XIM3e, and now XIM4.

You have this listed as not known to be working.  Maybe someone else can confirm that it's working for them before I request it be moved to the working list.
« Last Edit: 07:15 PM - 11/02/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: SteelSeries Merc Stealth
« Reply #1 on: 04:13 PM - 09/01/14 »
As a matter of fact, someone else just did confirm that it works, over on the Support forum, and I just came here to see if anyone else had mentioned it.

What a lovely coincidence.

I shall update the list.  :)  Thanks!

Offline h8red

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: campwillowcreek
« Reply #2 on: 05:49 PM - 10/27/14 »
I have this and can confirm it 'did' work. I played using the keyboard for 1.5 weeks and all of a sudden it no longer works. I am typing this out on my computer using the keyboard but when I plug it into the xim4 it works for about 3 seconds then it eventually stops responding to key strokes.  Any suggestions on even how to start with troubleshooting this?

I have a xim4, ps3 and merc stealth keyboard that worked for 10 days solid with a LOT of play. Came home from work and it isn't working any longer. I can fix it for 3 seconds by removing the usb connection and plugging it back in.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:03 PM - 10/27/14 »
Is it just the keyboard that stops responding, or do any of the other connected peripherals stop as well?

Offline zackander10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:26 PM - 10/27/14 »
The Merc Stealth does indeed work, including all of the keys on the left side. If it had mechanical keys would be the best keyboard ever imo due to such a nice layout for gaming.

But yes used it with the Edge and still using it with the XIM4 with no issues whatsoever

Offline drak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:27 AM - 10/28/14 »
Keyboard does work fine for playing games but you might have chat issues on xbox one with 2 release candidates. The issue seems to stem from the onboard usb hub. I switched to orb weaver so I don't have to deal with the chat distortion.

Offline h8red

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:30 PM - 10/28/14 »
Is it just the keyboard that stops responding, or do any of the other connected peripherals stop as well?

Just the keyboard stops. My mouse works just fine as evidenced by watching my smartphone app in manager mode. Left and Right mouse show fire and Looking Down Scope. I see the keyboard strokes for the couple seconds it works.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:40 PM - 10/28/14 »
h8red--

Are you using the latest release candidate firmware and manager?  If you're not, or if you're not sure, then download them and give them a try.  They are both version 20141006 and can be found in the XIM 4 -> Downloads -> Release Candidates section of the forum.  Let me know.

Offline h8red

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:46 PM - 10/29/14 »
h8red--

Are you using the latest release candidate firmware and manager?  If you're not, or if you're not sure, then download them and give them a try.  They are both version 20141006 and can be found in the XIM 4 -> Downloads -> Release Candidates section of the forum.  Let me know.

Testing with the version requested and the xim4 seems to register just about every keyboard in my house as a USB hub not a keyboard. A basic Dell keyboard shows up as a USB hub even.

After further testing it does seem that if I unplug both the mouse and keyboard most keyboards if plugged in after the mouse do show up as a keyboard. The Merc Stealth remains a USB hub when plugged in and does not respond even for a second to any key strokes.
« Last Edit: 05:35 PM - 10/29/14 by h8red »

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:05 PM - 10/30/14 »
(Sorry for the response delay.  Wednesday's my day off.)

A lot of keyboards actually have a real or virtual USB hub inside, at least when they do one of the following:

1) Provide onboard USB ports for other peripherals.

2) Provide mouselike features, e.g. scrolling, touchpad, mouse buttons, etc.

There are probably other cases.

So does your keyboard still stop working after a while, now that you have the latest firmware?

Offline h8red

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:11 PM - 10/30/14 »
I am unable to get the keyboard to work at all with the firmware you recommended. I also was able to get the basic DELL keyboard to work (which I am using at this time) but greatly prefer the pad on the left of the Merc Stealth.

All that aside the short answer is the keyboard does not function at all (not even for a second) on the new firmware. It does have 2 USB ports on the back area that I use from time to time but have nothing plugged into them when attempting to use it on the Zim4.  I am typing this response on the Merc Stealth however to prove it functions.
« Last Edit: 06:42 PM - 10/30/14 by h8red »

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:55 PM - 10/30/14 »
Oh I believe you that the Merc Stealth functions on a PC.

Which mouse are you using?  One user found that it didn't co-exist with a G500, for some reason.

Another user had chat audio issues with it plugged in, even after we fixed the chat audio problem.  Oh, and they had a G500 as well... hm, interesting.

Apparently one user had issues using it with a hub, possibly because it is a hub inside, though that should not matter.

I'm not sure what to tell you.  Some users say it works.  You and a couple of others say it doesn't.  There must be some difference.

I don't think I asked you yet to try using the keyboard without anything else plugged in...

Try unplugging at least the mouse.  I know you won't be able to do much, but do something for a few minutes (like navigate the system menus or something) and see if it still falls apart shortly.

If it does, then disconnect the controller and do the same thing.  You won't be able to do anything on-screen, but you should still see keystrokes in the manager.

Another thing to try is with/without the manager attached.  It's less likely to be a problem, but the bluetooth radio is actually a USB device, so it has as much potential to interact with your keyboard as the mouse or the controller, if there's potential at all.

Not sure what else we could eliminate as a factor.  If you're using a hub, that's a candidate.  Extension cables, etc., too.

Offline h8red

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:05 AM - 10/31/14 »
I will try it without the mouse and I do have a Logitech mouse though not the model you specified it is pretty similar. I am using an Logitech g9x. Updates to follow after testing.

Offline h8red

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06:21 AM - 11/01/14 »
Updates.

In all of this my Xim4 and smart phone Software are vs. 1006.

The Merc Stealth does NOT work on an 80g PS3 (I think it was 80, it is a low capacity disk PS3 with 4 USB ports on the front and is larger in physical size than the second in this scenario) running System Software 4.65.

The Merc Stealth DOES work on a 300g PS3 (less bulky PS3 with 2 USB ports on the front) running System Software 4.60

So, different hardware models if that matters and also different System Software versions. Given the need to, I will try and downgrade my PS3 running 4.65 to 4.60 but if there is a way for the Xim4 to be 'fixed' to work with both I'd prefer that obviously. The working PS3 is my brothers and the non-working is mine.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:32 PM - 11/01/14 »
Wait, are you saying your Merc Steal works with the one PS3 and not the other when connected through XIM4, or when connected directly to the console?