XIM Community

XimBox Project  (Read 2340 times)

Offline AntiM

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: AntiM59
XimBox Project
« on: 10:09 AM - 08/31/14 »
Here's a simple weekend project I thought I'd share.  I wanted a way to tame the cable mess that comes with the Xim4 for a living room environment.

I started with a Cable Matters active USB extension cable to run USB from my PS4 to the couch and keep it hidden in the baseboard cable channel.  You could use any kind of "decorative box", but the humidor I settled on is reasonably cheap, has quality hinges and won't warp.

Parts:
Box
Powered USB hub.  I found the one I'm using on Amazon, it's sold under many different brand names.  It's got a nice aluminum housing and a quality "Omron" style on/off switch.
Kaizen Foam.  It's used for organizing toolboxes by cutting around the shape of tools and plucking out the foam to form a custom fit.
Short cables.  Sourced from Monoprice.

Tools:

Drill, Jigsaw, sandpaper.  I cut a simple square hole for the hub so the power and cable-in ports are flush with the outside of the box.  The on/off button is also on the back of the unit.  A little black Sharpie or stain pen on the raw wood helps the hub blend into the rear of the box.  Not that you'd normally see it.
X-acto and utility knife, steel ruler and cutting board for shaping the foam.

It took a couple of tries to get everything positioned where it would work.  I wished more than once I'd opted for something larger. 

Now everything is within easy reach of "Sheldon's Spot" on the couch.  I just need Destiny to drop and I'll be a happy camper.

I plan on adding a cheap USB stereo sound card frenched into the foam for a chat headset.  And maybe a USB powered fan on the rear of the box.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: XimBox Project
« Reply #1 on: 12:14 PM - 08/31/14 »
oh wow, thats how i would imagine a XIM4 Limited Edition or Special Edition
looks high quality, you have some decent skills there!
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
XimBox Project
« Reply #2 on: 12:19 PM - 08/31/14 »
Thats a humidor :)

What I dont get is the purpose. Is it to take it somewhere or store at home?
Crusade atm: none

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:22 PM - 08/31/14 »
If the XIM itself is meant to stay in the box, I'd be a little concerned about heat dissipation.  I don't know how much heat the XIM4 generates, but being packed in tightly on all sides like that might not be good for it.  Hmm.  Definitely make sure it's not getting hot in there...

Beautiful work, though.   8)

Offline AntiM

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: AntiM59
« Reply #4 on: 01:01 PM - 08/31/14 »
Thanks for the compliments.   ;D

Thats a humidor :)

What I dont get is the purpose. Is it to take it somewhere or store at home?

Why yes it is.  8)

Store at home.  I guess you could apply the same techniques to a Plano style or aluminum storage case or small toolbox and make it portable.  Hmm...I've got a old RC Helicopter remote case I don't use anymore.

It's just a handy place to organize everything without being a eyesore in a living room.  My den/computer room/art studio/music room/man cave tends to be a cluttered catch-all, I like to keep the living room a little more civilized.

If the XIM itself is meant to stay in the box, I'd be a little concerned about heat dissipation.  I don't know how much heat the XIM4 generates, but being packed in tightly on all sides like that might not be good for it.  Hmm.  Definitely make sure it's not getting hot in there...

Beautiful work, though.   8)

I have the same concerns.  Maybe someone in the know could chime in on the heat characteristics of the Xim4.  But I certainly won't be playing or charging with the lid closed and it sits under a ceiling fan.  But as I said in the post, I'm thinking about adding a 80mm usb powered to the rear of the humidor.   I figure to mount the fan as exhaust, drill some hole in the bottom near the front and  carve some air channels through the foam.

Offline GuNStArHeRo

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Subscribe
  • Gamertag: x GuNStArHeRo
  • PSN ID: GuNStAr-HeRo-
« Reply #5 on: 01:13 PM - 08/31/14 »
oh wow, thats how i would imagine a XIM4 Limited Edition or Special Edition
looks high quality, you have some decent skills there!

lol right Od1n.
XIM: 3/Edge/4/Apex | Titan: One/Two | XiM Link | PS4 Pro & XBox One X | PC: i7700k 1080ti ftw3 | M: Console: G502 - PC: Glorious Model O (White Matte) | KB: by the day and mood (60% to 65%) | Mouse Pad: by the day and mood (X-Large) | Console Audio/Mic: beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO & Creative Sound Blaster X7 | PC Mic: Samson G-Track | Monitor: 24" BenQ Zowie xl2436