XIM Community

Question about wireless keyboard/ mouse  (Read 21105 times)

Offline christwendt

• View Profile
Question about wireless keyboard/ mouse
« on: 03:21 PM - 08/28/14 »
I have a wireless keyboard that is on the list of devices that will work. My question is how will I connect it to the zim4? I don't see any cord or thing like my wireless mouse has that plugs into usb. I forget how I set up and connected the keyboard to my pc. Any ideas? Thanks a lot. Also on a side note is the charger cable that you buy extra for the xbox one controller the right usb cord to use the xim 4?
« Last Edit: 05:07 PM - 08/29/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: Question about wireless keyboard/ mouse
« Reply #1 on: 05:23 PM - 08/28/14 »
I have a wireless keyboard that is on the list of devices that will work. My question is how will I connect it to the zim4? I don't see any cord or thing like my wireless mouse has that plugs into usb. I forget how I set up and connected the keyboard to my pc. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

If it's a bluetooth keyboard, which you can usually tell easily by looking at the label and seeing if there's the usual bluetooth logo there (looks like a very angular B in an oval), then you will not be able to use it with XIM4.

If it's a wireless keyboard that has a little USB "dongle", a receiver that plugs into a USB port on your PC, then you only need to move that receiver over to your XIM4 and you should be good to go.

Also on a side note is the charger cable that you buy extra for the xbox one controller the right usb cord to use the xim 4?

To my knowledge, that cable can be used for both charging and also updating controller firmware.  If that's the case, then you are set.

Any micro-USB cable labeled a "data" or "sync" cable should also work.

Another way to tell if a third-party cable will work is if it has a stat on the packaging about how many Mbps it can transfer.
« Last Edit: 11:20 AM - 08/29/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline christwendt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:50 AM - 08/29/14 »
Thanks for the reply.I know my mouse will work but I'm confused about my keyboard. It is in the list as well of devices that will work but I don't see any cable or usb port like my mouse has. Also thanks for the reply about the cable. It is the cable that allows the controller to update so according to you it will work :)

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:19 AM - 08/29/14 »
I'm sorry, I got confused.  I meant to say keyboard, not mouse.  See the comments I made above, but about the keyboard.  :)  I'll fix the text.

So check for the bluetooth logo on the KB, and if it's not there, look around the back of your PC or something for a dongle.  If you can't find a dongle, it may still be a bluetooth keyboard even if it doesn't have the logo.  If that's the case, it's not going to work with XIM4, sorry.  :-\

One thing that would be helpful would be to turn the keyboard over and either post a picture of the label, or just type out the maker and model# for me.

Offline christwendt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:16 PM - 08/29/14 »
Thanks for clearing that up. I actually have a usb receiver on the back of my computer. I didn't think my keyboard had one. Thanks a lot for the help :)

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:06 PM - 08/29/14 »
Woo, I like easy answers.  :)  Glad you're set, then!

Offline pfennz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:53 PM - 09/05/14 »
I'm a little confused, sorry.  I too have a wireless keyboard & Mouse combo from Logitech.  Not blutooth, but wireless.  It only has 1 USB thingy for both the keyboard and the mouse (they dont each have a separate USB plug).  I know the XIM wants you to plug the keyboard in 1 usb port and the mouse in the other.  Will my wireless keyboard & mouse that share 1 usb plug work with XIM 4?

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:39 PM - 09/07/14 »
I'm a little confused, sorry.  I too have a wireless keyboard & Mouse combo from Logitech.  Not blutooth, but wireless.  It only has 1 USB thingy for both the keyboard and the mouse (they dont each have a separate USB plug).  I know the XIM wants you to plug the keyboard in 1 usb port and the mouse in the other.  Will my wireless keyboard & mouse that share 1 usb plug work with XIM 4?

So the ports on the XIM4 are really a lot like the ports on a USB hub.  In fact, they ARE the ports on a USB hub.  The port numbering does help with certain things, especially if identifying a device is difficult.  However, most mice and keyboards will work in either port.  So in that respect, you're probably fine.

The real question is what does your m/kb combo present itself as through that one dongle.  Is it a virtual hub with a mouse and keyboard behind it?  That should work, as long as it presents a generic usb hub, which XIM4 understands.  There's also something called a composite device which might be a little more iffy, but should also work in some cases.  We don't know for sure 'til someone tries it.

One thing you can do is to open up Device Manager while they are connected to your PC, switch the view mode to "Devices by Connection", and locate the devices.  If you can show me a screenshot of what it looks like with that part of the tree expanded, I can make a better guess for you, at least.
« Last Edit: 07:37 PM - 09/07/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline AntiM

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: AntiM59
« Reply #8 on: 05:40 PM - 09/07/14 »

That would be a Logitech "Unifying" wireless USB receiver if I'm not mistaken.  It's a proprietary format so I don't know if it would show up as a keyboard and mouse or a single HID device. 

You can pick up one for less than ten bucks on Amazon.  Then you could download logitech's software and pair one device to the new receiver on your pc and then move it to your xim, one receiver per port.

Providing the receiver won't work on a single port of course.  No sense spending money if you don't have too.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:32 PM - 09/07/14 »
Oh, hey.  I have one of those here somewhere.  Let me see if I can find it.  Maybe that will tell us.  Back shortly.  Don't anybody spend a million dollars on Logitech wireless equipment while I'm gone, k?

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07:42 PM - 09/07/14 »
Okay, I have a K320/B550 keyboard here with the Unifying USB Receiver we're talking about.  It works fine on plugging the receiver into either front port, so it's certainly looking good.

I don't know which keyboard model you have, so I can't make any guarantees about that, but it's promising at least.
« Last Edit: 07:47 PM - 09/07/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:22 AM - 12/20/15 »
I don't know if this helps anyone or not, but i connected a Logitech K330 into the "right" port of the XIM4 and it works BEAUTIFULLY with Black Ops 3. Haven't tested it with anything else but if it works this liquid with BO3, it's going to work with any other game.

These keyboard/mouse combos are right around $20 on Amazon and it's impressive how well they work with the XIM.