XIM Community

XIM configuration using actual controller inputs (triggers, sticks, dpad)?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but I was wondering if it's ever been discussed to actually using the controller to edit the various knobs in a configuration screen.  E.g. using thumbsticks, dpad, triggers to increase/decrease slider values instead of using your finger/mouse.  I imagine that would simplify some configuration settings.

Am even thinking of going as far as drawing out ballistics with the thumbsticks.  Not entirely sure how useful that would be from a drawing perspective.  Drawing aside, increasing/decreasing a given point via pressure sensitive trigger/analog stick has to be better than tapping a plus/minus button.

Anyhow just some thoughts.  I don't see any features specifically relating to controller input in the requests/issues track thread so I thought I'd throw it out there.
XIM Apex | Xbox Series X | HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | Razer Basilisk V3 | Artisan Ninja FX Hayate OTSU

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
We do allow "on-the-fly" config edits (see "Wired XIM4 Configuration" instruction video) for button bindings and sensitivity adjustment. But, using the controller instead of the touch screen as input hasn't been discussed. Of course, on PC, you can use a mouse. And, you can even use a mouse on Android as well.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline MarikCraven

• MVP
    • View Profile
Are you meaning everything because you can already do the sensitivity with the d-pad.

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
But, using the controller instead of the touch screen as input hasn't been discussed.

Is it something that is possible?  I imagine it may affect live testing while editing a config as it would require the controller to stop sending signals to the Xbox while using as an input for edits, but personally I wouldn't mind that.  Perhaps even just have an option to swap between live controller vs. input mechanism?
XIM Apex | Xbox Series X | HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | Razer Basilisk V3 | Artisan Ninja FX Hayate OTSU

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
Are you meaning everything because you can already do the sensitivity with the d-pad.

Yes everything.  Essentially I'm referring to using the controller to replace the use of -/+ knobs throughout the config (e.g. increase/decrease values by holding the triggers or sticks, while using the pressure-sensitivity they provide as assists with value selection, or even the dpad if some prefer it), as well as potentially using the sticks to additionally assist in "drawing" the ballistics curve.

Additional clarification... doing all this while the XIM manager is open and simply used to represent the visual changes being made (while not removing existing functionality already in the manager of course).

Offline MarikCraven

• MVP
    • View Profile

Yes everything.  Essentially I'm referring to using the controller to replace the use of -/+ knobs throughout the config (e.g. increase/decrease values by holding the triggers or sticks, while using the pressure-sensitivity they provide as assists with value selection, or even the dpad if some prefer it), as well as potentially using the sticks to additionally assist in "drawing" the ballistics curve.

Additional clarification... doing all this while the XIM manager is open and simply used to represent the visual changes being made (while not removing existing functionality already in the manager of course).

+1. I like the idea of using something on the controller to do all that in real time then save it. Yeah that sounds pretty cool.

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
:(  I guess we're the only two that sees benefit in this.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hmm I can imagine mapping the game by pressing A on the controller then the keyboard key I use for jump. But grabbing the controller for input instead of tapping the screen? Why would I?
Crusade atm: none

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
I feel it would be much easier to set knob values by thumbstick or triggers than by tapping/holding your finger on a screen or dragging sliders around. Especially if the pressure sensitivity of the triggers or higher analog values of the stick are used to control how fast values are cycled.  Just my opinion. I can't stand tapping +/- knobs on my phone. Direct number input may help but manipulation by stick just appeals to me for some reason.

Isn't one of your biggest issues with XIM configuration the required amount of tapping, or is that just with ballistics?
« Last Edit: 04:21 PM - 08/29/14 by mcdonamw »

Offline MarikCraven

• MVP
    • View Profile
I get where roads is coming from though. You'd have to make everything selectable from the controller also to do this the way I think you're explaining. If not then you'd have to use the computer/phone/tablet just to get to that area and then you are already using said device. I still like the idea of being able to draw out things like ballistics with the controller, and sometimes I don't remember what this type of grenade is but I know that to do it on the controller is rb or something.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
I feel it would be much easier to set knob values by thumbstick or triggers than by tapping/holding your finger on a screen or dragging sliders around. Especially if the pressure sensitivity of the triggers or higher analog values of the stick are used to control how fast values are cycled.  Just my opinion. I can't stand tapping +/- knobs on my phone. Direct number input may help but manipulation by stick just appeals to me for some reason.

Isn't one of your biggest issues with XIM configuration the required amount of tapping, or is that just with ballistics?

That is because the whole XIM community agrees that the excisting UI accelerating + and - knobs are crap. Sliders and direct input are necessary. Its on the roads list!
Crusade atm: none

Admin