XIM Community

[ACTIVE] Mionix Keystoke Causes XIM 4 to Kernel Panic and Freeze  (Read 1559 times)

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
I'd like this added to the list of features.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 09:23 AM - 08/25/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: Mionix Keystoke Causes XIM 4 to Kernel Panic and Freeze
« Reply #1 on: 10:35 AM - 08/24/14 »
I'l assume you're being humorous about the request.  :)

When you say it kernel panics, do you mean the rapid RGB flashing?  That's not good.  (Duh.)  I don't know if you're one of the people with access to the alpha firmware, but since we know there have been fixes related to mice and keystrokes, we should get you to try it if not.

« Last Edit: 09:21 AM - 08/25/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline Broachster14

• View Profile
Are you using a mionix Zibal keyboard? If so I couldn't even get mine to stay on. Just curious

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
It's more of a feature request, on the Mionix NAOS mouse series there are issues with keystrokes, i'll try out the beta.

to be more clear the kernel panic appears to just disconnect the mouse (no inputs work after this)

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
updated to latest beta:

Keystroke mice buttons no longer make the mouse stop sending input...however the keystrokes aren't detected in the XIM Manager, so nothing can be set to them

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Hey abc,

They're definitely set to keystrokes in a config that's definitely stored in on-board memory on the mouse?

Do me a favor?  If you have another PC that doesn't have any drivers for the mouse installed, plug in the mouse there and see if you get the keystrokes you expect.  I just want to be sure the config is saved on the mouse for sure.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
verified keystrokes set, and mouse memory selected. 

Tested and verified keystrokes on a macbook pro that doesn't have any software for NAOS.

Perhaps Page Up and Page Down are the wrong buttons.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile

Well, those would be keystrokes.  Maybe we don't recognize the NAOS' virtual keyboard for some reason, though we certainly do so with some mice.    Can you set them to emit genuine mouse buttons of some kind?  Mouse4, Mouse5, Mouse6 sort of thing?

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile

Well, those would be keystrokes.  Maybe we don't recognize the NAOS' virtual keyboard for some reason, though we certainly do so with some mice.    Can you set them to emit genuine mouse buttons of some kind?  Mouse4, Mouse5, Mouse6 sort of thing?

i can only set them to the standard 9 (left, right, middle, scroll up, scroll down, scroll left, scroll right, back, forward) or a keystroke

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
i can only set them to the standard 9 (left, right, middle, scroll up, scroll down, scroll left, scroll right, back, forward) or a keystroke
Gotcha.  Is it safe to assume those are all already assigned?  (Not including keystrokes.)

Even if so, would you be willing to test something for me?  Try swapping those two button assignments with scroll left/right.  See if the two buttons start working and the scroll left/right stops.  I'm assuming that's exactly what will happen, but I like to eliminate possibilities if I can.

If that IS what happens, then we know for certain that it's simply that XIM4 doesn't recognize the virtual keyboard in the mouse.  I'm surprised that an emulated keyboard would be anything other than a standard type, so I'm wondering if Mionix does something slightly weird or wrong when they advertise the keyboard over USB.  It might still work in Windows, because Windows tends to be much more forgiving of protocol misbehavior, mostly because when stuff doesn't work, MS gets blamed even if it's the HW manufacturer at fault, and they don't like that.  :)

« Last Edit: 07:29 PM - 08/28/14 by Aiken_Drum »