XIM Community

Playing on a computer monitor for the first time  (Read 4189 times)

Offline OHMz

• hmm... ignorance really is bliss
    • View Profile
Re: Playing on a computer monitor for the first time
« Reply #15 on: 10:06 PM - 08/12/14 »
...  I looked at the Display Lag Database and ended up getting the one listed at the top, the Asus MX279H, and I really do think it made a difference.
http://www.squidoo.com/top-20-gaming-monitors-by-input-lag

Hey I have that same monitor [$250 on sale at bestbuy]. Do you notice any ghosting on yours? I try to ignore it but it is eating me up inside...
"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine"

-Nikola Tesla

Offline WryBot

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: WryBot
« Reply #16 on: 10:46 PM - 08/12/14 »
I do better on my monitor than TV, just feels quicker, I can get in the zone much easier with a small screen. Its the way to go with any pvp.

Offline jaydee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06:18 AM - 08/13/14 »
btw mist as far as i know you look for a 120/144hz monitor
the displaylag page doesnt clarify in which mode they meassured the lag, but that makes a huge difference

there are quite some monitors that have very low values in overdrive mode 144hz, but much higher values at 60hz @ consoles
some of those 120hz/144hz monitors arent even intended to be used in 60hz mode for gaming because the picture looks bad then, all the research went into optimizing the 120/144hz picture
thats stuff you only know about when reading an analysis

what i want to say
dont make a purchase by looking at the displaylag list alone
i dont want to say your purchase of the number 1 listed monitor is bad, it still is one of the best monitors around, but what i want to say is that it surely wasnt the best monitor for your particular useage

I'll be honest, i dont know a whole lot about all this technical jargan but if I was about to purchase a monitor specifically for console gaming, namely Destiny for PS4, running HDMI obviously, what would you (or others) recommend without going overkill. I want 24 inch or preferably bigger, lowest possible input lag etc... Basically best bang for buck thats going to pull the best/max out of my console to optimise my performance for FPS gaming..?

Offline GuNStArHeRo

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Subscribe
  • Gamertag: x GuNStArHeRo
  • PSN ID: GuNStAr-HeRo-
« Reply #18 on: 06:25 AM - 08/13/14 »
When I used to play gears of war I never did good on a tv over 27'. The smaller the tv the better I did. I recently switched over to a monitor to and I'm loving it. They're cheaper and give better results.
XIM: 3/Edge/4/Apex | Titan: One/Two | XiM Link | PC: i7700k 1080ti ftw3 | M: Console: G502 - PC: fianlnouse Cape Town UL2 | KB: by the day and mood (60% to 65%) | Mouse Pad: by the day and mood (X-Large) | Audio/Mic: GoXLR | PC Mic: Shure SM7B | Monitor: 24" BenQ Zowie xl2436

Offline jaydee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06:53 AM - 08/13/14 »
the displaylag page doesnt clarify in which mode they meassured the lag, but that makes a huge difference

there are quite some monitors that have very low values in overdrive mode 144hz, but much higher values at 60hz @ consoles
some of those 120hz/144hz monitors arent even intended to be used in 60hz mode for gaming because the picture looks bad then, all the research went into optimizing the 120/144hz picture

what i want to say
i dont want to say your purchase of the number 1 listed monitor is bad, it still is one of the best monitors around, but what i want to say is that it surely wasnt the best monitor for your particular useage

I'll be honest, i dont know a whole lot about all this technical jargan but if I was about to purchase a monitor specifically for console gaming, namely Destiny for PS4, running HDMI obviously, what would you (or others) recommend without going overkill. I want 24 inch or preferably bigger, lowest possible input lag etc... Basically best bang for buck thats going to pull the best/max out of my console to optimise my performance for FPS gaming..?

Would this be suitable ? http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-RL2450HT-Professional-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B006HIKIP6%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIAA4MWUJXHBYFRNQ%26tag%3Dsquid1493535-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB006HIKIP6
as it is 60 Hz and to my knowledge consoles cannot exceed 60hz?
It's number 12 on the list: http://www.squidoo.com/top-20-gaming-monitors-by-input-lag
The description is what got my attention

Offline asilver

• MVP
  • STE4LYOURFACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07:29 AM - 08/13/14 »
I just went 144hz on PC (asus) and noticed a massive difference, literally from my first step in game on csgo, yep, that's double the smoothness.

We aren't really talking about the same thing but w/e, just saying.

Honestly I think CS is the only game worth getting a 120-144hz monitor for. There might be some others but it's really the only game where you try to max your fps for performance and it's pretty easy to get over 120 fps.

I play alot of csgo nowdays so im contemplating getting one. I've heard it's night and day compared to the usual 60hz monitor. Only issue is that I'm spending $400 on a monitor for 1 game.

You could get the lower end benq for like 230, it makes a huge difference in csgo. It's the only reason I bought it, also to see in dark areas.
Dirty Tony De La Nomadz M.C.

cs:go

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10:33 AM - 08/13/14 »
but that doesnt matter
i use displaylag as a rough understanding on what monitors have good values
then i pick all of those and read their indepth analysis at prad.de, then i can determin which of them is the best for my personal needs

This makes the most sense. Thanks for the tip and thanks for sparing me time exploring the site with a translator. :)

prad.de also has an english version, but i dont know how detailed the testing results in words are then
give it a try maybe :)

http://www.prad.de/en/index.html
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10:39 AM - 08/13/14 »

what i want to say

Would this be suitable ? http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-RL2450HT-Professional-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B006HIKIP6%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIAA4MWUJXHBYFRNQ%26tag%3Dsquid1493535-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB006HIKIP6
as it is 60 Hz and to my knowledge consoles cannot exceed 60hz?
It's number 12 on the list: http://www.squidoo.com/top-20-gaming-monitors-by-input-lag
The description is what got my attention

benq is a save bet for gaming mostly
my recommendation is the BenQ XL2411Z if you find it for a good deal, if its too expensive than your suggestion is also good
sadly it doesnt have blackequalizer which is a real dealbreaker imo
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline PewPew

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12:04 PM - 08/13/14 »
Good thread, so let me ask you guys which monitor is good for less money? I was thinking about this model benq rl2455hm? Does anyone own it? How does it performs? Also for Xim 4 (i'll upgrade my connection speed to 200/mbps up and 6/mbps down, so does it worth it ?) Thanks for helping to this noob hehe
My Setup:
Mouse: Razer Mamba T.E and Logitech G303.
Keyboard: Logitech K120
Headset: ASTRO Gaming A50 Wireless
Monitor: EIZO FORIS FG2421-BK
TV: Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090
FW: ST1 with vanilla ST

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03:04 PM - 08/13/14 »
cannot comment on the monitor but for your connection you go for far too much
unless you arent a big downloader or uploader/streamer such a connection doesnt make sense for gaming
its more about a steady and error free connection than a fast connection when looking for a gaming connection

personally i have 16 down 1 up right now, for gaming 3 down 0,5 up is already more than sufficient

Offline Pneumatic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03:49 PM - 08/13/14 »
...  I looked at the Display Lag Database and ended up getting the one listed at the top, the Asus MX279H, and I really do think it made a difference.
http://www.squidoo.com/top-20-gaming-monitors-by-input-lag

Hey I have that same monitor [$250 on sale at bestbuy]. Do you notice any ghosting on yours? I try to ignore it but it is eating me up inside...

To be honest I haven't noticed ghosting.  There's apparently some setting that is supposed to help with that but I haven't even bothered to try and find it in the settings. 

I didn't buy this monitor because it was the first one listed on the database (though it did bring it to my attention).  I did some research and it seemed to be a good monitor (I am on it right now) AND it was available at Best Buy up the street.  It looks great to me and it's a lot better than what I was using.  :)
- PS4 - XIM4 - G502 (12k dpi / 500 report rate) - Sony Nav - ASUS MX279H -

Admin