XIM Community

NEVERMIND(It works!): CM Storm Recon - NOT Compatible With Xim4 ?  (Read 6736 times)

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
EDIT: There was a mouse firmware problem with my CM Storm Recon. It does work with the Xim4 after all. But I'll leave this in case someone else is having the same problem and looking for things to try.

I think maybe the CM Storm Recon should be removed from the compatibility list. I bought one just a couple of weeks ago to use with the Xim4. Today, when my Xim4 arrived, I plugged it in and no go - even the left/right mouse buttons wouldn't work.

Even worse, when I plug in the mouse, my Logitech K120 keyboard stops working too. (Could possibly be a conflict with this particular keyboard and mouse, but that seems unlikely)

When I plugged in a cheapy $10 mouse - everything worked fine(except for horrible performance ;) )

The CM Storm Recon is plugged into the preferred USB slot. I've tried EVERY possible fix suggested on the forums - I've tried
  • two different firmwares for the mouse
  • having only one profile other than default
  • having ONLY default profile
  • and I've even tried disabling EVERY button on the mouse but left and right click.

So unless someone knows of some other workaround that I'm missing- the newer CM Storm Recons are not compatible with the Xim4 and should maybe be removed from the list to save someone else the headache :(

Otherwise- loving the Xim4 so far. Even with the POS $10 mouse, I'm better than I am with a controller ;)
« Last Edit: 08:36 AM - 08/06/14 by Schmoe »

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
Well- here's something, not sure what it means... If the CM Storm Recon is unplugged, then re-plugged into the Xim4, then the keyboard will work, but the mouse is still completely unresponsive.

When the keyboard is unplugged and only the mouse is plugged in- still no response to mouse commands in the Xim4 Manager.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Hey Schmoe,

I have to admit, I'm a little at a loss for this one.  You've already done most of the troubleshooting that I would have suggested.

One thing that remains is making sure it's not one of the power overload issues we've seen.  If you run the XIM Manager while you have your devices plugged in, do you see any lightning bolt icons in the device row above the game image?  The XIM will basically turn off devices if it thinks they are trying to draw too much power.

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
Are you using a hub? I have a total of 4 recons now and all of them work on the xim4 - I'm not using them not behind a hub or kvm switch.

I've combo'd with about 35 keyboards with the recon on the xim4 and have seen no real issues with the default button layout.I have seen issues using the mouse behind a hub though.

custom keyboard binding does cause issues with some firmwares but the default left, right , middle , scroll wheel, side button 1 & 2 - They all work like a charm.

- I'm actually using the newer Recon right now with the cm storm trigger on the xim4 (playing as I type).

I have the older Recon set up on my main rig in the other room . I can show you that one working on the Xim4 too if ya want. .( I keep the consoles in my utility room area because my main desktop setup has no more space .)
Uploading a video shortly ...

Here's quick video I just made with the newest recon with the latest firmware/software & drivers from the CM web site. The Apex Raw is the keyboard I'm pared with on the Xim...

I bought this Recon from Amazon last week for my son. You can see I have one of the side buttons bound on each side .. left , right , middle & scroll wheel all is working . Even the Xim manager is working like it should.

If your not behind a kvm switch or hub then I honestly think the problem your having is related to your keyboard. Do you have another laying about you can try out ?

« Last Edit: 05:01 AM - 08/06/14 by glenn37216 »

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
I wish you could do whatever Voodoo you're doing on my CM Recon, Glenn ;) . Cause mine is completely unresponsive. I am using no hubs, no switches, just direct input.

I even removed the keyboard completely to test for any conflicts. The CM Recon Storm remained unresponsive, but the cheap $10 mouse still worked fine with no keyboard attached.

So I think that pretty much breaks it down to either a defective CM Recon or a defective Xim4, since these are the only two things attached, and the Recon has no Profiles setup, just base defaults.

As I mentioned before- I have seriously tried EVERY possible configuration I can think of on this mouse, including disabling pretty much everything except left/right click.

It could be that all those flashes to different firmwares caused some problem in the CM Recon, but if this the case and multiple firmware flashes ONLY cause problems with the Xim, I still think maybe it should be removed from the Xim4 compatibility list, because mine still works 100% as expected on my PC, just not at all on the Xim4.
« Last Edit: 05:49 AM - 08/06/14 by Schmoe »

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
Last thought before I give up on this thing completely Glenn- would it be too much trouble to post a few screenshots of your CM Recon software setup pages? The program used to write to the mouse's memory?

Just wanted to see if I'm somehow missing something or setting something HORRIBLY wrong ;) , even though everything in there seems pretty straight-forward.

Thanks for all your help so far! Really appreciated.

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
 The closest generic keyboard to yours I have readily available is this Dell keyboard . it also works with no problems pared with the Recon on the Xim4.

No idea on what your issues could be. I have seen some generic China keyboards cause mouse issues but usually they're the ones that have onboard memory and multi colored led's .

I'll take some screenshots and post them in a few. At McDonalds atm...   ;D

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
Glen has a couple recons... why don't you guys just swap.  I'm sure glen can figure out whatever is wrong with yours.

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
Here ya go.  ;)

I wouldn't swap Recon's but I would be willing to swap a brand new Evga torq 10 mouse. (If you live in the US lower 48) 
- Well slightly used and its about a week old.  However , it's registered in my name and it would only come with the weights , torq driver ... no extra mouse feet or mousepad...  ;)

It works great on the Xim4 with 8200 Dpi. Only buttons I had bound were the standard buttons plus one button on each side . Macro's do not work on the Xim, nor do binding the buttons to key commands. But all standard buttons mapped to default work.

(Would also trade it for a SteelSeries Kana v2)  ;D

« Last Edit: 08:01 AM - 08/06/14 by glenn37216 »

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
Thanks Glenn! Those screens look just like mine do now and did before.

However- I'm happy to report that my CM Storm Recon is now WORKING with the Xim4!  ;D

I was reading on another forum where people were complaining that their CM Recon settings weren't "activating" until they unplugged their mouse and plugged it back into their computer. So I flashed my mouse back to the old CM Recon 1.10 firmware. Then disconnected the mouse and reconnected. Then flashed up to the latest 1.18 firmware/1.23 CM Recon software, removed all the profiles and got the settings the way I like... then unplug and replug again...

Then I took the mouse to the Xim4 and TADA! - it suddenly worked. NO idea which of these things fixed the problem or if it was just dumb luck and the two quick firmware flashes cleared some glitch.

But now- movement and all primary buttons work and I can get any 2 of the 4 side buttons to work. So I'm happy with that! :)

My review of this experience would be - the Xim4 WORKS with the CM Storm Recon, but the Recon's firmware is SO bad, you might not wanna try it... ;)

Thanks so much for all the help Glenn!
« Last Edit: 08:23 AM - 08/06/14 by Schmoe »

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
Yeah I gave up on that thing.  It was mostly the shape for me, I didn't like the placement of the side buttons.  Immensely enjoying the Corsair M45 I got to replace it.

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
Oddly enough, the shape was what I liked about it. But I hold my mouse in a VERY weird way when I game. I'm actually using the thumb button meant for left-handed people with my pinky  :)

But I definitely see your point- those two front buttons would be almost useless for someone with a standard grip, and the "lefty" thumb buttons would probably be very easy to press accidentally.

But just the right shape for me.  ;)

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
crap. that's what I came back to post. unplug and replug the mouse in to your pc to let the settings get saved. lmao. should've posted that first.

I 'm in the same boat as you Schmoe , I'm a lefty with a weird claw grip. The recon is the only mouse (besides the Kana) that I really like to game with. It's not for everyone... it doesn't play nice with all mouse pads either..

Glad you got it working !

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Thanks for figuring this out, guys, and for posting the steps.  You'll probably help someone in the future.  :)

Offline neofelis

• View Profile
Thank you guys!! You all just helped me!

What settings are you guys using? Im having issues configuring this mouse :\

Its like there is some weird acceleration.
« Last Edit: 10:59 PM - 09/24/15 by neofelis »

Admin