XIM Community

which mouse wins the race!?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline HolySkin

• View Profile
which mouse wins the race!?
« on: 08:08 PM - 04/01/08 »
what mice do you guys feel is the best for cod4?
Im thinking of upgrading my mouse so im stuck here, thhere are so many to choose from. what are your views? example: with a xfps sniper, XIM and logitec g5:- this is 3 pieces of kit with customization options. Is, at some point all this tweakability goingg to over complicate things? I really dont know whhichh mouse to choose to give me best results.
Id like some mouse veterans out thhere to comment, if you've tried multiple mice, compare them.  Hell, i bet even some of you use a regular mouse, whhat are you truly ggaining from a top of thhe market mouse?
Save the whale.... Harpoon a fat chick!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: which mouse wins the race!?
« Reply #1 on: 08:31 PM - 04/01/08 »
I'm currently developing XIM2 against a Logitech MX518 since that seems to be the most common mouse.

But, I did recently pick up a Microsoft Habu to try out. The reason I'm interested in this mouse is because it's hardware programmable and it supports up to 1000 USB reports per second. I want to see if report rate makes that much difference when compared to the standared 125. This sort of thing shouldn't matter with XIM1 since it doesn't allow more than 29 updates/sec. But, with XIM2, people will likely choose update rates that will make the default USB poll rate potentially prohibitive (I believe you'll want a USB poll rate much higher than XIM's update rate). That's why I wanted to check out a more sophisticated mouse.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #2 on: 08:40 PM - 04/01/08 »
I'm in love with the Microsoft Sidewinder mouse. The Forward/Back buttons are in the perfect spot. The on-the-fly sensitivity switches NEVER get hit on accident. Its got macro support.. oh and it goes up to 2,000 dpi. Polls at 500Hz but it's more than fine for me. Iv'e tried quite a few mice with XIM and this one is my favorite so far, feel and features.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=100&active_tab=systemRequirements

Offline HolySkin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:44 PM - 04/01/08 »
thanks guys, keep em comin

Offline sosodesamurai

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: SosoDeSamurai
  • PSN ID: SosoDeSamurai
« Reply #4 on: 04:49 AM - 04/02/08 »
Does one of you guys use a Razer Copperhead?
"Finde die Wahrheit, hab keine Angst, finde die Wahrheit solange du noch kannst, denn die Wege sind lag und selbst der Tod ist nicht ihr Ende, wach endlich auf, Reich mir die Hände - werde Legende"

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:43 AM - 04/02/08 »
I'm in love with the Microsoft Sidewinder mouse. The Forward/Back buttons are in the perfect spot. The on-the-fly sensitivity switches NEVER get hit on accident. Its got macro support.. oh and it goes up to 2,000 dpi. Polls at 500Hz but it's more than fine for me. Iv'e tried quite a few mice with XIM and this one is my favorite so far, feel and features.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=100&active_tab=systemRequirements

I use the Sidewinder mouse, as well. It is awesome. I was going to get a Logitech, but the Sidewinder was on sale so I went with it instead. I haven't regretted my decision at all.

Offline xPOLESTARx

• www.team-dropouts.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:52 AM - 04/02/08 »
I use a G5 laser...

you can get one for 29.99 if your lucky :)

Very stable I find.

Gamertag: xPOLESTARx

Offline HolySkin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:59 AM - 04/02/08 »
honestly, how much of a disadvantage would i be using a regular M$ wired optic mouse, 2 buttons and scroll weel? i dont care about lack of buttons for mapping actions, im on about performance/advantage strictly

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:00 AM - 04/02/08 »
I really like my mx518.

What is funny is my most favorite mouse of ALL TIME is the Intellimouse explorer 4.0 (from about 4-5 years ago at least). I like it due to the side buttons it had, they were larger than that of most mice and it was REALLY comfortable to use on really long sessions.

While the Mx518, I have come to love it - I would give anything to have a new intellimouse 4.0 that is EXACTLY like my old one, just in a multi dpi flavor.

With all that said, the Mx518 is an awesome mouse with what I feel is just the right weight and feel that I need in order to get things done. The side buttons are not to clickity, and soften up over time which is something I really like. I HATE hard to press side buttons. Side buttons are my number 1 pet peeve. So many companys put them 1 on each side. I wish the Mx518 had 3 or even 4 buttons on the side (like 2 rows of 2).

I will explain HOW IMPORTANT those side buttons are to me.

My whole play style when I was doing CAL and CPL (One season CPL, Halo PC before it got yanked after that, winter/summer) was based off my AWSD must never be compromised. That is why I use the side buttons for my nade toss, knife (for cod 4, melee in halo 3 etc). Now I wish I had another 2 buttons so I could put sprint (on games that support it ie, COD4) and hold breath (Ie COD 4).

Another trick that is wonderful, and some may not know this but I'll share it with you. I use the scroll wheel up and down to fire, but only on pistols and other single shot weapons.

You ask why? I tell you. It's simple really, when you pull out a single shot weapon such as a pistol, g3 or something that CAN fire fast, but it's not auto you simple roll up and down on the scroll wheel to pop off shots fast in a pinch. Don't thank me for this, this came from team Demize from CPL winter competition, they gave me that piece of info and some other stuff which I though was really cool, they went on to place I think 3rd overall (winter) then won in summer (If my memory serves correctly that is )

Since Cod4 is pretty simply as far as changing weps, and so is Halo 3 - I just use the middle mouse button to switch weps.

Ahhh, I have posted a long post but maybe someone will get something out of that. All I am saying is the more you map to the mouse, or a pinky or thumb without your WASD getting messed with, or your left trigger finger (mouse fire) will just give you that extra edge when you get surprisde but you have all your fingers where they need to be to snatch the frag.

:)

Btw, razer mice IMHO are crap, customer service is crap and that Lachesis mouse is the worse thing ever - I rather play with a ball mouse. Hah.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline HolySkin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:27 AM - 04/02/08 »
lengthy indeed :P but nice to know other peoples preferences, in my original post i wasn't specific enough, i mean a standard mouse wit no DPI settings... will it suck? is DPI godly as people make it out to be? i ask because ive just forked out for a xfps sniper plus, XIM (with shipping on both :( ouch) and now i im led to feel i can't compete until i have a supermouse, setting me back a further £39.99 - £49.99. will a standard optical mouse be enough or am i loosing the % of how pc like the feel can be?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 10:33 AM - 04/02/08 »
I've put in some quality time with my new Microsoft Habu, and, I must say so far it's a great mouse. For those who don't know about this mouse, it has Razer on the inside but IntelliMouse outside. The buttons have a nice "soft" matte finish. It's hardware programmable too so that you don't need specialized drivers for custom configurations (including USB poll rate). Nice mouse. :)

To answer your question about DPI:

XIM queries your mouse today at a rate of 29 updates/sec today. XIM2 has no restriction like this and it's up to you how high you want it. You'll likely be increasing it to something like 60 updates/sec. The higher the update rate, the more beneficial a higher-DPI mouse becomes since there is less time between mouse polls for the mouse to accumulate movement. If you have a very low DPI mouse, you'll have to use a lower update rate since you'll get more choppy movement.

Personally, I wouldn't go below 1600dpi.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline HolySkin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10:46 AM - 04/02/08 »
ok thanks! so without directly saying it, your telling me ill be at a disadvantage (or less optimised) if i use a regular mouse over a 1600 DPI one, looks like i gotta fork out some extra extra cash afterall [sigh]

man, i wish MS just built an official kbam adaptor thhen forced all future game developers to include mouse support in their games :D

oh dear.. i must have been day dreaming

Offline miraged

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:53 AM - 04/02/08 »
ok thanks! so without directly saying it, your telling me ill be at a disadvantage (or less optimised) if i use a regular mouse over a 1600 DPI one, looks like i gotta fork out some extra extra cash afterall [sigh]

Logitech MX518 (which a lot of people use here) is really really cheap and it got 1800dpi.

Offline MrFresh

• Vigilo Confido
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: MrFresh KC
« Reply #13 on: 12:02 PM - 04/02/08 »
i have a razer deathadder but i yet to use it since i dont have a xim.

Offline azeledge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:36 PM - 04/02/08 »
Wow some good info in this thread!  Good to know :)

and Whew both mice I use are 1600+ dpi

My one XIM setup uses the good Ole' MX518 and the second setup uses a Razer (the low end one It' got the green glow I think it's the Laeshes or somthing like that)

Anyways as mouse preference I like the 518 more because of the side button position.   I do admit the Razer looks and feels better but has harder to reach side buttons.
- AzelEdge -
"No matter where you go there you are"