XIM Community

Iphone app for xim4?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Dangermouse

• View Profile
Iphone app for xim4?
« on: 06:18 AM - 08/01/14 »
So when's the iphone/iPad app coming out for my xim4 which is currently winging it's way towards the uk?

Chris Bedford

Offline tankd

• View Profile
Re: Iphone app for xim4?
« Reply #1 on: 06:38 AM - 08/01/14 »
Really like to know this to!

Offline Dangermouse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:52 AM - 08/01/14 »
I wrote to xim support which they told me.

Hi, Please direct your question to the forum. Our technicians monitor  the forum and can assist you quickly.  Thank you, Nicole

Thank you,
XIM Technologies, Inc.

Didn't really find that useful if I'm honest! Could of easily got the answer for me rather than the extra work I have to put in to find out the answer.

Chris

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 07:55 AM - 08/01/14 »
There has been many topics created for this question. The short answer is that we are going to need time since Apple locks down their hardware where other companies don't. I can add something to the Support FAQ.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Dangermouse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:07 AM - 08/01/14 »
Yeah cool so in the mean time I can just use my PC that's fine let's hope it doesn't take too long because it would be so much easier on my 5s for sure! Thanks for the swift reply!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 08:08 AM - 08/01/14 »
Certainly. We would have it if we didn't have to pay Apple license fees and embed a special chip in our device just to use based Bluetooth functionality.

Offline Dangermouse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:40 AM - 08/01/14 »
So does that mean the xim4 currently in production won't ever support apple because if the special embedded chip?  Is there any date when the app will be out or do you simply refuse to play with apple devices?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 11:53 AM - 08/01/14 »
We have a Bluetooth LE radio on XIM4 just so that we can talked to iOS (which they do support). But, it's 8x slower than regular Bluetooth. I need to figure out how to work with that.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:43 PM - 08/01/14 »
If you need advice with Iphone BT you may want to contact the maker of the golf tool Skypro. Nice fella he may help. He records 120mph swings realtime on the iphone.
Crusade atm: none

Offline Dangermouse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04:00 PM - 08/01/14 »
Well that's helpful! Lol

Offline Dangermouse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:02 PM - 08/01/14 »
We have a Bluetooth LE radio on XIM4 just so that we can talked to iOS (which they do support). But, it's 8x slower than regular Bluetooth. I need to figure out how to work with that.

Can you not upgrade the bluetooth device in xim4 then?

Offline JayOdom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02:35 AM - 08/30/14 »

First off. I received my XIM4 today and I am very grateful for the hard work you put into your products.

Now. I know you're a smart dude, so you probably have already thought of this. But just in case..

I too am well aware of Apple's limitation of data connections via Bluetooth and the additional capabilities gained via Bluetooth LE Radio, but at the cost of interface speed when using a LE chip (which I'm very impressed you used a LE Radio and that was very forward thinking of you and your team).  Apple's BT policies are annoying to say the least. If you were to release an iOS app that included your entire ST library, I'm not entirely sure how large your ST configs are and how you would address Apple App Store issues. such as more than likely having to release a new version of a "XIM4 Manager iOS" version every time a new ST is produced.  Apple will more than likely not allow an app to download addition files while in use on the users iOS device (I could be mistaken, but I think this is the case).

At one point, I started trying to mentally engineer how my EccoBee web enabled thermostat in my home operates and how my iOS device can issue commands to the thermostat via the EccoBee App.  As a programmer, I'm sure you understand why someone might contemplate something like this and that it's fun.  Even though I never tried to figure out how EccoBee does this, I'm sure I have a pretty good idea.

So, I'm wondering if you and your team have considered the possibility of utilizing a slim standalone webserver on a iOS user's PC that could issue commands to XIM Manager and XIM Manager could then issue commands/transfer configs/etc via USB or BT COM ports to the XIM4 hardware.  I guess I coulda just said Proxy.  I can think of two ways off the top of my head that a iOS device could communicate to the standalone webserver.  XML with a coded app or an App designed as an HTML5 wrapper.  Now I'm not extremely knowledgeable when it comes to Apple's App Store policies and I don't know how those policies could limit how Apps utilize XML commands from a app or HTML5 wrappers interaction with webservers.  However, I can say that they are much more lenient on published apps utilizing HTML5 wrappers since all the content is being produce outside the iOS device.  Essentially this would allow the published iOS App to be nothing more than a remote control for XIM Manager.  This would also relieve the woes of trying to support yet another OS platform in addition to the two platforms already being supported.  Not to mention less interactions with Apple.  Not that they are a bad company or anything.  I think they are great. They are pretty and pleasant to be around. That is until you wanna go out with your friends and do your own thing.

I've actually used something similar to this with a proxy of sorts that tied to the telemetry data interface of a PC racing simulator that I have.  I connected with just the browser of my iphone.  It worked surprisingly well and with no noticeable lag time.

I know this is not as elegant as a fully inclusive, standalone iOS application.  And I KNOW you're Obsessive....  And I would never try to tell you how to run your operation.  I'm honestly writing this for fun/ brain exercise and to suggest a means to an end. And like I said, you probably have already considered this.

You know what they say.  If you can't do it the way you want to do it, Hack.

Thanks again!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #12 on: 09:46 AM - 08/30/14 »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've read online about people that got relatively decent speeds out of LE on iOS. Nothing like regular Bluetooth though. We just need to try it. Worst case it'll take 30 seconds to create a Config on iOS (vs. 4 seconds on non-iOS devices). I'll just need to wait and see how the experience actually feels.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11:09 AM - 08/30/14 »
obsiv just give us that so called worst case and release an improved one when you found time to cut down/optimize bandwidth
im sure a lot of people will prefer 30 seconds of waiting over having no mobile XIM Manager at all ;)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline JayOdom

• View Profile
Iphone app for xim4?
« Reply #14 on: 02:45 PM - 08/30/14 »
So I just loaded a new config from the ST library via BT on PC and it was around 4 secs like you said. But editing the config was much, much faster. Near instant from what I can tell.  So if it would just be around 30 seconds when loading a new config via LE, but still quick on edits, then that wouldn't be bad at all.

Noting for clarification* when I say "loaded a new config", I mean one that wasn't on the XIM4 prior. Selecting a previous loaded config was instant.
« Last Edit: 02:51 PM - 08/30/14 by JayOdom »

Admin