XIM Community

For those with both a PS4 and Xone and/or a gaming PC.  (Read 2928 times)

Offline tjciv1983

• View Profile
What are you guys using to split one mouse and one keyboard between both or all three systems while using your xim4, and are you happy with its performance? Thank you so much in advance guys.

Offline 2hype

• View Profile
Re: For those with both a PS4 and Xone and/or a gaming PC.
« Reply #1 on: 11:43 PM - 07/31/14 »
Not so sure a KVM will work with the Xim4? They recommend a mouse be plugged into the left port, and a keyboard to the right port. Must be for a reason right?

I'd definitely would like to see some feedback on this topic.

Offline chris247

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:05 AM - 08/01/14 »
Back in 2012 I got a recommendation to use this with my xim3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D1UTC4/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_g1Y2tb1BDV7S6ZEG

Been using it everyday to switch from gaming pc and console for 2 years and its still going strong. Im currently using it with my xim4 and it works perfectly.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:27 AM - 08/01/14 »
Yup, I followed the same forum recommendations.  I got the four-way version, but it's basically the same thing with two more cables and two more LEDs.  Works a charm, and yes, seems to work fine with the XIM4 I got today.

Offline DamienM4194

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:46 PM - 08/01/14 »
I have a dedicated KB/M for my XIM but i want to be able to have the XIM plugged into all 4 systems at once and switch like a KVM. I'm wondering if this could be done with something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Peripheral-Sharing-Switch-GUS404/dp/B00BD8I3EI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406922233&sr=1-1&keywords=GUS404

essentially the XIM4 will plug into port 1 and the back which plugs into 4 devices would go into the X360, PS3, PS4 and XBone. I wouldn't need to unplug the XIM between the systems... anything think this will work?

Offline paulywalnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:10 PM - 08/01/14 »
Being that I am pretty much only going to use my Xim4 for Destiny, I wont be worrying about this. :)  Though I have a feeling any quality (read Amazon ratings) USB switcher should do the trick pretty well.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:12 PM - 08/01/14 »
i use an Iogear KVM switch, but i im probably going to use the future xim commander app once its released
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline r0b

• Ruler of the Interwebs
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: FoaIey
  • PSN ID: FoaIey
« Reply #7 on: 03:29 PM - 08/01/14 »
I just run a USB cable from my PS4 and XB1/360 to my XIM4(e) and whichever console I'm using, I plug that USB cable into the XIM ... I don't share my peripherals with my PC.
PSN: FoaIey /// XBOX: FoaIey /// Origin: FoaIey /// XIM: 3/E/4e/4

Offline ashleydoll86

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:33 PM - 08/01/14 »

Been using it everyday to switch from gaming pc and console for 2 years and its still going strong. Im currently using it with my xim4 and it works perfectly.

This seems like a decent cheap solution, but does it ever seem like it causes any added input lag or anything funky?

Xbox One

Xbox 360 S

Gaming PC - Ivy Bridge 3570K @ 4.5ghz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 16 gigs G.Skill Sniper Series, EVGA GTX 760 4GB @ 1155 clock 1700 memory 1220 boost, XFX 850w PSU, sitting inside a CM HAF 922

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1ms, 144hz

MKB: Steel Series Sensei, Steel Series Merc Stealth, Steel Series QcK

Audio: Earforce DSS, Samson SR850 headphones

Mobile: Nokia Lumia 1520, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 64GB w/ type cover

Gaming roots: Wolf 3D, Doom, Half-life 1, Diablo 1 and 2, Ultima Online, CS 1.3, RTCW/ET, DAoC, Deus Ex, Goldeneye, Halo CE (PC version)

Offline nodicaL

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: nodicaL
  • PSN ID: nodicaL
« Reply #9 on: 03:45 PM - 08/01/14 »

This seems like a decent cheap solution, but does it ever seem like it causes any added input lag or anything funky?

You and I use the same low input lag monitor.
I'm currently using this KVM switch to game on PS4 + PC and haven't felt any input lag.

I am very intune with my mouse movements and notice anything around 1 frame of input lag.
Only thing I can notice is the turn speed delay because of the max speed cap in a console fps.
| XIM4 | PS3 | PS4 | X360 | XBOX ONE | PC |
| M: ASUS ROG Swift | Mouse: G502 [12000 DPI - 1000hz] | Pad: Goliathus Alpha | KB: Filco Majestouch-2 (RED) |
| Audio: Sennheiser HD800 | ModMic 4.0 | Astro MixAmp |

Previous XIM username: paradox

Offline ashleydoll86

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:52 PM - 08/01/14 »
Might as well order one, with any luck Amazon might be able to have it to me the same day my XIM arrives. I'd be splitting it between my PC, 360 and One and then a PS4 in the future.
Xbox One

Xbox 360 S

Gaming PC - Ivy Bridge 3570K @ 4.5ghz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 16 gigs G.Skill Sniper Series, EVGA GTX 760 4GB @ 1155 clock 1700 memory 1220 boost, XFX 850w PSU, sitting inside a CM HAF 922

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1ms, 144hz

MKB: Steel Series Sensei, Steel Series Merc Stealth, Steel Series QcK

Audio: Earforce DSS, Samson SR850 headphones

Mobile: Nokia Lumia 1520, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 64GB w/ type cover

Gaming roots: Wolf 3D, Doom, Half-life 1, Diablo 1 and 2, Ultima Online, CS 1.3, RTCW/ET, DAoC, Deus Ex, Goldeneye, Halo CE (PC version)

Offline nodicaL

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: nodicaL
  • PSN ID: nodicaL
« Reply #11 on: 03:56 PM - 08/01/14 »
Might as well order one, with any luck Amazon might be able to have it to me the same day my XIM arrives. I'd be splitting it between my PC, 360 and One and then a PS4 in the future.

All you need to do is connect your XIM4's usb cable to whichever console you want to use.
The KVM will connect to your PC + XIM4.
| XIM4 | PS3 | PS4 | X360 | XBOX ONE | PC |
| M: ASUS ROG Swift | Mouse: G502 [12000 DPI - 1000hz] | Pad: Goliathus Alpha | KB: Filco Majestouch-2 (RED) |
| Audio: Sennheiser HD800 | ModMic 4.0 | Astro MixAmp |

Previous XIM username: paradox

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: SG Kevin D Lee
  • PSN ID: Kevin-D-Lee
« Reply #12 on: 04:43 PM - 08/01/14 »
I'm using a very basic K/M switcher that is hooked up to my PC then either the X1 or PS4 (Whichever the XIM4 is plugged into)

It works, nothing fancy.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05:25 PM - 08/01/14 »

As far as I can tell, this switch is passive, meaning basically mechanical.  It's just re-routing the lines from the two input ports to the appropriate pair of output cables.  It isn't actually a USB host/peripheral itself.

The only trickery they seem to do is that I *think* they try to keep your device initialized at all times by using at least one of the attached hosts to provide power at all times.  I *think* they only switch the data lines.  Not sure about this.  It's slightly annoying in that respect, because I have a USB keyboard that also works with a PS/2 adapter, which I use on computer to free up a USB port, but because it never powers the keyboard down between hosts, it never re-detects which connection type is in use and won't work correctly for one or the other, depending on which one was used first.  I have to use USB on the PC to make it work.  Annoying, but not a huge deal really.

At any rate, if I understand the mechanism, that means it's basically a very complicated Y cable/switch, rather than being a middleman that actively participates in the USB traffic.  It certainly doesn't show up as a hub in Windows' device manager.