XIM Community

PS4 Headset Question  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Vexz

• View Profile
PS4 Headset Question
« on: 06:05 PM - 07/27/14 »
The XIM4 Official Hardware Compatibility List thread says:
"Playstation 4: Unsupported, a USB audio adapter connected directly to Playstation 4 required"

Since Headsets need to be connected to the Controller (dunno if this is always necessary) and the Controller needs to be connected to the XIM4, I'm unsure if this would work correctly this way:
http://www.sharkoon.com/sites/default/files/ddblock/nid-2226/images/manual_int_ps4_12858.pdf

As you can see there's a wire connecting the Controller with the Headset. Will the Headset connected with the Controller (the Controller connected with the XIM4) work this way?

I'm just asking because I never used a Headset on any Console.
« Last Edit: 06:23 PM - 07/27/14 by Vexz »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: PS4 Headset Question
« Reply #1 on: 06:24 PM - 07/27/14 »
You'll need to plug your wired headset into a USB audio adapter which is plugged into your PS4.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:34 PM - 07/27/14 »
that is actually a tough question you cannot answer cause the manual you posted doesnt state what that controller cable does
here the two scenarios

1)
the cable is only for grabbing the chat audio, the mic is via usb to the PS4
that would mean the headset will fully work with the XIM4, all you need to do is set chat audio to speakers instead of controller

2)
the cable is for grabbing the chat audio AND transfering the mic into the PS4
in that case you can still hear game audio (and chat audio if you set it to speakers) but you cannot talk
this one is though to solve, you would need another USB Soundcard to plug the chat cable into, the cable also need to be splitted into chat and mic
besides that you need an USB Hub because the PS4 only has 2 USB slots and you need one for the XIM4

judging from the amount of pins on the controller cable its scenario 2)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline zakupowiec2010

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:46 PM - 07/27/14 »
I went for gioteck ex-03r fit for ps4, as my screen sound suffices to me

does the above apply to me?

Offline DerHertog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:05 AM - 07/28/14 »
Got a question also, since this confuses me a bit.

I currently use a wired Logitech G35 headset which I directly connect into an usb port in my ps4.

That will still work in combination with the xim right?

In port 1 I plug the XIM4 and in port 2 the headset?

Thanks for reply.

Offline Vexz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:15 AM - 07/28/14 »
that is actually a tough question you cannot answer cause the manual you posted doesnt state what that controller cable does
here the two scenarios

1)
that would mean the headset will fully work with the XIM4, all you need to do is set chat audio to speakers instead of controller

2)
in that case you can still hear game audio (and chat audio if you set it to speakers) but you cannot talk
this one is though to solve, you would need another USB Soundcard to plug the chat cable into, the cable also need to be splitted into chat and mic
besides that you need an USB Hub because the PS4 only has 2 USB slots and you need one for the XIM4

I got the feeling the cable is just to make the PS4 know that this Headset belongs to this Controller. You can also use this Headset with your PC where you don't have a Controller (means the whole connection between the Headset and Controller is not needed). That means sound and microphone signals use the the wire connecting the Headset with the Sound Control Unit. Take a look here (you have to scroll down a little bit):
http://www.sharkoon.com/sites/default/files/ddblock/nid-2226/images/manual_pc_int_40039.pdf

I know because of my research that the microphone signal uses the USB cable plugged into the Sound Control Unit. That would prove my theory right?

Edit:
In case 2 a secondary controller to connect the Headset with this controller could work?
« Last Edit: 04:21 AM - 07/28/14 by Vexz »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
PS4 Headset Question
« Reply #6 on: 05:44 AM - 07/28/14 »
here the two scenarios

1)

2)

I know because of my research that the microphone signal uses the USB cable plugged into the Sound Control Unit. That would prove my theory right?

Yes, then itll also work with the XIM4 :)

@ derhertog

Yes if its usb then just plug it next to the XIM into the PS4
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay