XIM Community

CM Storm Recon Fully Compatible?  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
CM Storm Recon Fully Compatible?
« on: 03:52 PM - 07/22/14 »
Hello everyone. Been lurking FOREVER, waiting for the Xim4 release, but thought I needed to post to ask this :)

I just bought a CM Storm Recon because it is listed as compatible on the Xim4 hardware list, but then I found a few posts where people were saying that they had problems with this mouse and the Xim3 and Xim Edge.

Also, I believe tuffrabit posted that he was having some problems with the CM Storm Recon with the beta.

So does this mouse fully work with the Xim4? Can all 9 buttons be bound?

Thanks! (and nice place you've got here)

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
Re: CM Storm Recon Fully Compatible?
« Reply #1 on: 05:48 PM - 07/22/14 »
No... currently all nine buttons can't be bound.  You are limited to 7.  I didn't like the shape, I kept pressing the left side buttons with my pinky.  Sensor also has a high LOD.  The Corsair M45 is a far better mouse in the same price range.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:01 PM - 07/22/14 »
Thanks Tuffrabit. I think the Corsair M45 wouldn't really fit with my grip. I use kind of a strange variation of the claw grip with my pinky curled up beside the mouse.

I'm assuming that two of the buttons on the Storm Recon that can't be bound are side buttons, but which specific ones can't be bound? Really need a asterisk/note in the hardware compatibility list about this.

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:29 PM - 07/22/14 »
  You can bind all 9 buttons on the recon if you store only one profile on the mouse. Change your 8/9 or 6/7 buttons to anything other than forward and back and  all 4 will work on the xim4.  (Using 1.12/1.15 firmware.) Newer firmware your limited to just 2 side buttons from either side

Also , setting the lod to 1 in the sensor settings in the recon software = about the height of 1 cd.  Super low LOD.

« Last Edit: 10:57 PM - 07/22/14 by glenn37216 »

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:37 PM - 07/22/14 »
Awesome! Thanks glenn. I think I actually read your review of this mouse on another site. It's one of the reasons I decided to buy it  :)

Do you have ANY idea where I might be able to find 1.12/1.15 firmware ? And is it possible to "update" the mouse back to older firmware?

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #5 on: 07:16 AM - 07/23/14 »
And glen just told me wrong.  Hope it works for you, I couldn't make it work for me.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:24 PM - 07/23/14 »
Not sure what you meant by that tuf  I know you pm'ed me earlier but I was dealing with a death in my family so sorry if I lead you a stray.

You can re-flash the recon to older firmware if you can find it. I am using a older firmware I got from CM carter over @ overclock.net before the mouse went retail . Not sure if the ftp link works anymore but here's the link

http://cmupload.coolermaster-usa.com/Temp/carter/

I may have back up firmware somewhere on a drive . have to look for it. I'm running the older firmware because the tracking is better and the lod is lower. I'll look for the firmware and get back to ya in a pm .

Glenn

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:12 PM - 07/25/14 »
http://cmupload.coolermaster-usa.com/Temp/carter/

I may have back up firmware somewhere on a drive . have to look for it. I'm running the older firmware because the tracking is better and the lod is lower. I'll look for the firmware and get back to ya in a pm .
Thanks again Glenn! I would really appreciate a copy of the older firmware if you have it around somewhere. Unfortunately, that link seems to be dead/files removed.  :'(

Just trying to get this mouse all setup and ready for "Xim4 day" :)

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:51 PM - 07/25/14 »
Recon_Software_v1.15.rar
This is an older link to the v1.15 software . If CM hasn't changed the firmware included , it should be v1.15 too.

I've looked for other links over @ overclocking .net for the older firmware but unfortunately I cannot find it.
Sucks because this is a great mouse if your running the older firmware on it .

I have 2 recons, one with new and the other with original firmware. Older version performs a little better at max dpi and has a tad bit lower LOD. CM Carter ( a CM rep) told me this was changed in the retail version because the lower lod had tracking issues with some mouse pads.   

Here's a hardware/software revision comparison:
new (white mouse in pic)
Hardware version 1.01
Sensor version 1.07
Firmware version 1.18
Software version 1.22

old (black & grey mouse in pic)
Hardware version 1.00
Sensor version 1.05
Firmware version 1.15
Software version 1.15

If you cant find the older firmware you can still use the mouse on the xim, just not all buttons can be bound.
 only 2 side buttons can be bind. one to each side or 2 to one side..  whichever way both works great. 

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:42 PM - 07/25/14 »
Recon_Software_v1.15.rar
This is an older link to the v1.15 software . If CM hasn't changed the firmware included , it should be v1.15 too.

I've looked for other links over @ overclocking .net for the older firmware but unfortunately I cannot find it.
Sucks because this is a great mouse if your running the older firmware on it .

I have 2 recons, one with new and the other with original firmware. Older version performs a little better at max dpi and has a tad bit lower LOD. CM Carter ( a CM rep) told me this was changed in the retail version because the lower lod had tracking issues with some mouse pads.   
SNIP
old (black & grey mouse in pic)
Hardware version 1.00
Sensor version 1.05
Firmware version 1.15
Software version 1.15

Thanks so much Glenn! But...um, I think I'm doing something WRONG.

Recon_Software_v1.15.rar gave me a firmware of 1.09, so I kept searching the net for progressively higher Recon software downloads.

I ended up on Recon_Software_v1.19.rar, which gave me:
Hardware Version: 1.01
Sensor Version: 1.07
Firmware Version: 1.10
Software Version: 1.19

So I' not sure if I should keep updating or stop where I am? Any thoughts?  :o

Thanks again!

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:58 AM - 07/26/14 »
Just a thought: maybe firmerware version 1.15 doesn't work with
Hardware version 1.01
Sensor version 1.07

So, instead the software just stalls the most recent firmware that will work with this hardware/sensor model?

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:15 PM - 07/27/14 »
You are correct Schmoe. I tried installing the older firmware on the newer mouse and it defaulted to the same as what you've got there. Updated sensor and hardware will not work on the older original firmware. Have you tried binding your buttons on the xim4e ? any issues ?  check your lod settings and make sure they work. There was an issue with older firmware that makes the lod stop working at 3 instead of 1. Also note with some firmware ,  if you bind your mouse keys to "keyboard letters" sometimes your xim will not recognize it.
Make sure your firmware is working like it should before you decide to keep it. Recon is a great claw grip mouse but the firmware on it can be a little flakey.

btw -  I just bought a EVGA TORQ X10 which is killer for a claw grip user if your interested in other options out there. I'm still testing on the Xim but I've found that all 9 buttons can be bound and used....

« Last Edit: 06:34 PM - 07/27/14 by glenn37216 »

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01:22 AM - 07/28/14 »
I'm a complete noob to Xim, so the Xim4 will be my first. I'll have to wait until I get it to test the mouse and the various firmwares.

I'm REALLY hoping this mouse will work with the Xim4, because I love the feel. Due to the weird claw grip I use, I can actually operate the "left-handed" thumb button on the other side with my pinky.

Have you used your newer CM Storm Recon with the Xim4E? If so, any tips? For example- what SHOULD I set those thumbs buttons to, if not to a keyboard key?

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03:10 AM - 07/29/14 »
On the new recon I use the the main button on both sides as foward and back ... I use the far side button on my index finger as run/  hold breath.  Make sure you only have 1 profile loaded (besides default profile) or the xim will not recognize it. If you want to use all 4 side buttons.. bind them to something other than keyboard keys and they should work. Scroll up and scroll down bound to these side buttons sometimes will give off errors. If this happens rebind the side buttons to a letter,  then save it to the mouse and then rebind them back to the scroll wheel up and down. The recon sometimes has issues saving commands onboard.

Offline Schmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05:35 PM - 07/29/14 »
Thanks SO much yet again Glenn!!! Your help has been awesome and is very much appreciated! :)

Hope you won't mind if I need to bug you with another question or two about the Storm Recon once I start setting things up!  ;)