XIM Community

GTX 760 SLI Pci connector requirements  (Read 1030 times)

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: KodRaiN
GTX 760 SLI Pci connector requirements
« on: 11:42 AM - 07/16/14 »
My seccond 760 is arriving in the mail today and I had a question regarding the PSU cable connector requirements: 

my PSU is the Corsair RM750.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139055&cm_re=rm750-_-17-139-055-_-Product
It has 2, 8-pin PCI power cable ports, both being used on my single GTX 760 as 6+2 & 6 pin.  The (two 6+2) cables that came with the PSU both have a leader that splits off and has another 2+6 pin plug.  Can I connect the second card to this leader or am I going to have to purchace a new PSU that has an additional 2 PCI power ports?  Here are the requirements on the Nvidia page:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Thanks for the help!

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
Re: GTX 760 SLI Pci connector requirements
« Reply #1 on: 12:24 PM - 07/16/14 »
I've read on tech forums that this PSU can run two 760's, but the info from the Nvidia site confuses me as to the connector/cable requirements.

Offline xSundown

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:24 PM - 07/16/14 »
Give the psu company a call. They'll be happy to assist you.
[email protected]| Noctua D15s| Asus Gene Viii| 16gb DDR4 3200mhz G.Skill Trident RAM| Phanteks Evolv mATX| EVGA 750w G2| 1tb Samsung Evo SSD| EVGA GTX 980ti FTW| Dell U3415W

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:15 PM - 07/16/14 »
I had a ton of down time at work to research this, but still didn't come up with much.  Though it is confirmed that this card can SLI 700 series GTX.  That would mean I have the amperage on the 12v rail (I do, more than enough) and enough pins in the power cables.  Since the ports on the PSU are 8 pin, they spread out the load of the current as opposed to a cable like a 6 pin that splits into two 6+2 (I assume how it was done on PSU's that did not have 8 pin PCIe, per the Nvidia PDF that shows 760's need to have at least four 6-pin pci ports on the PSU) 

The cables are rated for the required amps, the rail has enough volts, the unit supplies enough watts, and I have enough pins.  I should be golden. 

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:17 PM - 07/17/14 »
8 pin PCI express ports on PSU's must be a relatively new thing, because 8 pin PCI power cables seem pretty rare.  I'm looking for some 8 pin to two 6+2 pin power cables.  The ones that came with my PSU work, but they are nearly two feet long.  I've found one on eBay but it's only 8", barely too short for my upper card.  I cant find anything else after an hour of searching.