XIM Community

Building a new Home Theater setup from the ground up. Need suggestions.  (Read 4407 times)

Offline TheycallmeDee

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm compiling a list of items to buy for a complete home theater setup and would love to hear from you guys for some reference. I have been out of the tech loop for a while because of work and just busy life in general but my wife and i just moved into a new home and I'm ready to get busy on making my new home awesome.

If you guys could throw some suggestions out for TVs and audio setups, I would appreciate it.

Thought about investing in a 4k TV, but will probably hold out until 4k is more relevant. Thoughts?
"It feels like my hand is connected directly to the screen."

Offline Joker76

• No asterisks in this lifetime, only scoreboards.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Drunkn Joker
Depends on your budget and tastes, how much are you looking to spend? Are you picky about the audio? Most home theater enthusiasts I know spend a lot more on their receivers/amps/etc. than their TVs but it really depends on what you're looking for.

I'm personally more of a videophile than audio. My last TV purchase was a Panasonic GT50 60-inch plasma in October 2012 for $2k. And my last audio setup was the Onkyo S5400 HTiB for about $400. I added Polk floor-standing speakers, sub, center and bookshelves later on for about another $500 and it's a very decent system.

I highly recommend a projector if you have the room for it. The BenQ 1070 is on sale at Amazon (and other places) for $699 right now. And you can make a screen for very cheap (or buy one for $150-$250 depending if you want it motorized).

Offline TheycallmeDee

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm willing to go 4-5k for this setup. I know people tend to spend much more.

I am by no means an audiohead but I do like to seek out quality from people who know what they are talking about and run any suggestions through my personal research and budget.

Thanks for the suggestions so far Joker. I will also consider the projector options.

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
  • "I'm your huckleberry..."
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Liquidboy
4-5 k total, or for TV?

"You beat that horse to a bloody pulp in that circle-jerk of a thread .... and then poured the remains in a blender, pureed them, and gargled the leftovers. How you're not sick of it is beyond me." --- RookCheck

Offline TheycallmeDee

• MVP
    • View Profile
4-5k total. I'm just not quite sure yet where that will put me in terms of quality.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
my first advice is to have a word with your neighbours, it aint much joy to have the cops around whenever you turn on the audio system
maybe also check how thick the walls of your house are ;)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline xSundown

• MVP
    • View Profile
Build your own speakers. Commercial bought ones are trash or overpriced. I built some $200 2-way bookshelves that sound incredible with a $20 mid woofer. Here are some designs/kits.

http://meniscusaudio.com/kits-c-133.html

An audio forum to look through or ask questions.
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/

As for the subwoofer, you pretty much just need a plate amp, custom enclosure, and the woofer it's self. The bigger, the better for lower frequencies :)
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468

As fars as tv's. I really like Sony. Neutral colors, low input lag, fantastic black levels. I currently use a 32w650.
[email protected]| Noctua D15s| Asus Gene Viii| 16gb DDR4 3200mhz G.Skill Trident RAM| Phanteks Evolv mATX| EVGA 750w G2| 1tb Samsung Evo SSD| EVGA GTX 980ti FTW| Dell U3415W

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Audio system build it yourself if you can. I built the Nelson speakers from http://www.lautsprechershop.de/index_hifi_en.htm?hifi/heimkino_en.htm and they sound two price ranges above their cost. I am sure there are even better now. A lot of big names build junk into their spearkers. Building them is also fun. You get a kit with the speakers and the stuff to solder only at a shop like Strassacker. I for sure will never buy a ready built speaker from the big manufacturers again. 
Crusade atm: none

Offline ShadowIG

• MVP
    • View Profile
deeeeeeeeeeeeee <3

Offline amak1

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Wa2En5emble
For great surround you realy have to worry about speaker placement more than everything else. Your subwoofer is omnidirectional so place it accordingly.

Your surround speakers should make sense in the way that theyre pointed at the listener.
Ice... 15ml lime cordial... 1 dash angostura bitters... 2 oz 100% agave tequila... top off with sprite or 7 up

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: KodRaiN
Klipsh speakers.  A bit pricey but mah gawd do they have great sound. 

Offline nataku_0

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if 4-5k is enough....I mean you might as well go all out if you're doing something as snobby- i mean cool as a home theater.

Offline Dale

• MVP
  • What would the great lion do?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DaleisGOD
If your on a budget, I saw this method of using palettes for the seating... pretty cool

Offline xSundown

• MVP
    • View Profile
If your on a budget, I saw this method of using palettes for the seating... pretty cool

BRILLIANT
[email protected]| Noctua D15s| Asus Gene Viii| 16gb DDR4 3200mhz G.Skill Trident RAM| Phanteks Evolv mATX| EVGA 750w G2| 1tb Samsung Evo SSD| EVGA GTX 980ti FTW| Dell U3415W

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Niiiice!
Crusade atm: none

Admin