XIM Community

Redragon Perdition / UtechSmart Venus MMO mice (Edit: Confirmed working)  (Read 12095 times)

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Edit: Confirmed working.
See here: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=33318.msg440785#msg440785

-----

Anyone tried either of these with the XIM4[E]?   They aren't listed.

They seem to be using the same hardware under the hood.  Same button layout, same programming software, just different logos.

I was pleased to find that the Perdition is basically the first full-sized (and full-featured and very-high-dpi and MMO-style, no less) mouse my screwy hand can grasp comfortably.  Obviously I'm hoping I can use it with the XIM4.

It doesn't need custom drivers, whatever that's worth.  It just emits clicks and keystrokes through a mouse and a pseudo-keybaord.  It looks like this in Windows:

USB Composite Device
  +- USB Input Device
  |     +-- HID-compliant mouse
  +- USB Input Device
  |     +-- HID Keyboard Device
  +- USB Input Device
         +-- HID-compliant consumer control device
         +-- HID-compliant device

I'm kinda hoping that means it'll Just Work, even if it hasn't been specifically supported.

Redragon Perdition:
http://www.redragonzone.com/en/Product-detail.aspx?pid=13
http://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Perdition-Precision-Programmable-Cartridge-profiles/dp/B00GU8W5AE/

Utechsmart Venus:
http://www.utechsmart.com/index.php?s=/Product/show/id/477
http://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Precision-Programmable-programmable-Manufacturers/dp/B00FNKMVUO/

(Pardon if store links are not allowed, please feel free to remove if so.)
« Last Edit: 08:20 PM - 08/01/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Redragon Perdition / UtechSmart Venus MMO mice
« Reply #1 on: 11:52 PM - 07/04/14 »
G600 clone? Logitech is not healthy financially so I can imagine they sell rights to produce mice.
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline Cith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:22 AM - 07/05/14 »
This mouse has 16400 dpi, and significantly cheaper than the g502. Not sure what kind of laser it has though. Might need to pick this up.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:50 AM - 07/05/14 »
Not sure what kind of laser it has though. Might need to pick this up.
Seems to be infrared.  I can't see the light with my naked eye, but my cellphone camera sees that same telltale lavender light you see if you point one at a remote control while you hold a button down.

(Digital camera sensors can see infrared.)

G600 clone? Logitech is not healthy financially so I can imagine they sell rights to produce mice.
Hm, similar, but I don't think so.  No shift button for the ring finger.  It does have another button but it's just a normal programmable button, not a modifier.  It also doesn't have a tilty scroll wheel.  I guess maybe they could license the reference design and muck with it.  Or... well, you know how Chinese companies can be about licensing.  Could be a relative of the Naga as well, I suppose.

The mouse feels good.  Are the materials good?  I dunno, it's not old enough yet.  :)  It claims Omron switches.  I haven't looked to be sure.  They feel good.  I think the thumb buttons might be something lesser, but they're fine and I don't press them accidentally even though I grasp the mouse by the numpad.

« Last Edit: 09:00 AM - 07/05/14 by Aiken_Drum »

Offline SooSpicey

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: SooSpicey
« Reply #4 on: 10:48 AM - 07/07/14 »
send it my way and ill give it a go :P

but this actually interests me. been looking around for a new mmo and this one definitely looks decent for the price. might grab one in the near future

Offline SooSpicey

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: SooSpicey
« Reply #5 on: 10:30 AM - 07/14/14 »
ended up ordering one. will let you all know how it fairs with the Xim4E

Offline boorassa

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: BooRassa
« Reply #6 on: 06:07 PM - 07/14/14 »
Thanks!  Looks like a cheapish alternative until my 602 gets working.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:09 PM - 07/19/14 »
Just a heads-up for anyone who took an interest in this mouse after I mentioned it:

I felt like the 16400 mode was a bit swimmy/floaty.  It doesn't matter much in windows, since you'd never use it, but for XIM I expect to have the DPI cranked up.  So I went to teh intarnets to learn more...

The sensor in this is apparently the Avago ADNS-9800.  I found the datasheet, which surprisingly includes the programming API (well, the hardware registers).  The sensor's DPI can be set anywhere from 200 to its native res of 8200, in steps of 200.  So the 16400 DPI mode is just interpolation/extrapolation trickery in the mouse's firmware, and that explains why it feels different from the other modes.

Luckily, the utility lets you set all 5 DPIs for each of the 5 profiles stored on the mouse, so you can eliminate the fake mode pretty easily.  You can even disable modes entirely, so that e.g. you could use one button to toggle between two modes instead of two buttons to move forward and back through five.

Also, as an aside, the utility has an option for setting on-board acceleration, so you aren't forced to use it, but you can if you like.  On a similar note, there's no setting for axis snapping, but I don't feel like there's any snapping anyway, so that's okay.

</nerd>

( ... ha ha, not really: the nerd element cannot be closed.)

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:16 PM - 08/01/14 »
I'm happy to report that both of these mice work great with XIM4.

I fired up their config utils in Windows, gave both of them a profile with 8200 dpi (none of this fake 16400 cpi malarky), 1000Hz, and no acceleration, and that's all I needed to do.

For easy copy & paste into the supported list:

Redragon Perdition MMO Mouse
UtechSmart Venus MMO Mouse

So pleased.  ;D

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
*bump*  The hardware list got updated but these weren't added.  You should add them, they're excellent MMO-style gaming mice with good sensors for not too much money.