XIM Community

N52te and Orbweaver internals replaced by Teensy  (Read 24802 times)

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: N52te and Orbweaver internals replaced by Teensy
« Reply #30 on: 01:59 PM - 07/17/14 »
Have you noticed your pitfall list is almost longer than the actual tutorial part  ;D

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02:29 PM - 07/17/14 »
You know I try to prevent people from making the same mistakes I did. You should try that once. :)
Crusade atm: none

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: ApocalypticWesal
« Reply #32 on: 02:52 PM - 07/17/14 »
The king of modding and hacking strikes again nice work Roads but does it do exactly what it says on the box.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03:10 PM - 07/17/14 »
Nah W11ce is what you say, I just have some nasty ideas sometimes that have to be done. Yeah it does exactly as intended. If you do it to your N52te you will get rid of your USB hub.

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06:46 PM - 07/17/14 »
You know I try to prevent people from making the same mistakes I did. You should try that once. :)
No need. I have you for that ;)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08:18 AM - 07/18/14 »
Here is what it now looks like. I remember there is a small plastic box where the joystick exactly fits in and would at least hide the pots. But whatever it works fine.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
  • Gamertag: grayskuii
« Reply #36 on: 07:03 PM - 07/28/14 »
looks like you gutted the thumb side - does the d pad still work?  What do you think about swapping the d pad and using its spot for a properly adjusted analog?  Would that work?  did the button above the dpad crap out?  could you have saved it?
I gotta quit welding in flip flops...

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10:33 PM - 07/28/14 »
Hard to save the button above, there is nothing to attach too. Maybe its doable but needs a lot of patience. Its fine as touch as I did. D-pad works fine and swapping is not possible there is no room for the dpad more in front. The joystick is not at a bad position at all. the dpad is hard to reach after you set up for the Joystick. One will always be hard to reach anyway.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #38 on: 11:41 AM - 07/29/14 »
So in hindsight the orb wasnt that bad of a mod right?  You ended up cutting some circuits and extra stuff because of a goof on the code right?  I am very close to saying eff it, and just modding my orb. If I do, I think I will remove the d pad and put the analog in its spot for ease of use.  I do have an old razer nostromo too.  Isnt that the cousin of the N52?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12:04 PM - 07/29/14 »
The analog is nice as D-pad but yeah looks cleaner and is easier to do. The one trace has to be cut if you keep the D-pad. The N52te is easier to mod thumbpiece wise and the Orb is easier with the Cherries. The big advantage if you mod the Orb or N52te full teensy is no HUB necessary.
Someone posted the Orb is out for 99$ get one to mod maybe.

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12:40 PM - 07/29/14 »
But still modded orb looks like a total mess compared to modded N52te. The only advantage could be that there is already a pcb for cherries. But even that you have to reroute if you dont try to figure out the wiring matrix and reuse that.

Also orb looks uglier modded than N52te.

How do those feel? Which one is more comfortable?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12:49 PM - 07/29/14 »
The Orb is more comfy, its only uglier if you leave the D-pad in there which I wanted at all cost. It also has more keys. Id only do it if you get the Orb cheap somewhere. Like in the US for 99$ I would recommend it over the N52te.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #42 on: 01:00 PM - 07/29/14 »
They are about the same for comfyness to me.  Orb can be adjusted.  I think if you lose the dpad it will make room for the analog.  I cut the surround off one of my black PS1 controllers and I think it will hide the gaps on the thumb plate and look sharp.  Then I might make the whole thing ugly by adding more buttons or touchpads around the thumb anyway. 

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01:03 PM - 07/29/14 »
Just add foils around it. Get the small version of the analogue joystick. I found there are two sizes. Tuffrabit already replaced the Dpad with the stick do a search. Looked OK. If I will do the mod again I would replace the D-pad maybe.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09:51 AM - 08/10/14 »
Added new code by W11ce to the first post. Joystick can now tweaked.Maximum deflection was too low. Fixed.

Admin