• Code Reign
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: KodRaiN
Portable Lapdesk 2.0
« on: 08:57 PM - 06/26/14 »

aaaaaand.....

pow.  It even holds cups

Velcro patches for the XIM and keypad, straps for the cables

1/2 inch thick cutting board.  Very durable, cleanable, and a nearly frictionless mouse surface that tracks flawlessly. 

If you are interested in obtaining a custom one of your own, let me know.  I can do a few different colors (white, red, blue, yellow, green, and brown) and can make one full keyboard-sized as well.  Don't really know how to securely sell one online with insured electronic payment, though.  Anyway, you would be looking at about $100-$150 depending on sizes and accessories, then maybe $10-$20 shipping.  A little steep, I know, but I don't have much spare time these days and I take my time on projects like this to make sure they come out great. 

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
Re: Portable Lapdesk 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 05:24 AM - 07/30/14 »
Larger variant for full-sized keyboards: 

The full PC gaming setup.  fits under the coffee table easily. 

Upper deck for placing.... stuff?  Easily room for a XIM to the left of the upper deck, and space to place a secured controller on the deck.  Also, holds beverages but sadly, does not blend. 

Solid construction.  Tongue-and-groove joints and screws since nothing sticks to cutting board (by the way, greatest mouse suface EVAH!)

Locking arm.  This is not on my smaller model I use for ximming, as the shorter width and center-heavy load prevents me from folding up that lapdesk during use.  Since this model is quite a bit wider, I needed to lock it in place somehow.  The two prongs lock into the corresponding holes, and neodymium magnets prevent the arm from swinging out of place during storage or use. 

During storage the locking arm helps create a small area under the upper deck useful for storing the mouse, cables, and my palm rest. 

Since the hinge protrudes from the bottom surface, I added nylon furniture feet to the bottom to prevent scratches on my coffee table. 

Offline Techrival

• Historical Accuracy [hACC]
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: hACC Techrival
  • PSN ID: Techrival
« Reply #2 on: 06:06 PM - 08/02/14 »
I really love that you're all about using cutting boards man. I think that's quirky as hell and puts your unique stamp on things. I even considered it when I walked through our NEX depot over here - too heavy for my taste though. But @#$% good stuff man. I was looking at the hinges and it got me thinking about a more modular designed lapdesk.. maybe one that folds up into a case of some kind for easy deployment. I dunno.. still thinking. Keep up the good work!
- Youtube.com/techrival
- Twitch.TV/hacctechrival

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:27 PM - 08/02/14 »
It's such a fun material to work with as well.  As far as the weight, I hardly notice, even on the blue one which I used for about 6 hours straight last night.  The red one is small enough it fits in a backpack with my 360 when I bring it to work.

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:46 PM - 10/02/14 »

My friend gave me his old galaxy SII as a dedicated XIM interface. 

3M makes a "Velcro" where both sides are identical.  Tiny little plastic filaments with a little bulb at each tip, touted as lasting 3x longer than normal Velcro.  Found at WalMart.

Both the cup holder and phone mount are removable.  Made from brass stripping held together with machine screws in tapped holes