XIM Community

Help with BF4 Vehicle Config/Settings  (Read 6494 times)

Offline ForeGod

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: ForeGod
Help with BF4 Vehicle Config/Settings
« on: 12:14 AM - 06/17/14 »
Hello all,

So I picked up BF4 for PS4 2 days ago, and i noticed i have no idea how to use the vehicles, and i feel this is a major part of my gameplay that's missing in order for me to consistently do well in Conquest. I decided to go into the test range to try and learn the vehicles but I figured I need to start with my config first so i can practice on the right settings. So I'm asking you all... What's your config for vehicles? what are your settings to set to in game? and what mouse ballistics do you use for vehicles? thanks. Playing on 5700 DPI with 20 hip

Offline lordy

• View Profile
Re: Help with BF4 Vehicle Config/Settings
« Reply #1 on: 12:29 AM - 06/17/14 »
Im not 100% sure but i think ive seen responses to questions like this before saying stick to using controller for vehicles but maybe someone can confirm if usuable configs for vehicles are possible

Offline tails72

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:38 AM - 06/17/14 »
i think this thread might help you out

Offline ForeGod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:59 AM - 06/17/14 »
Thanks guys

Wait but that's only a curve for Tanks. Is that supposed to work with Naval units and helicopters/Airplanes?

And I need to know the keybinds for helicopters and in game settings
« Last Edit: 08:21 AM - 06/17/14 by ForeGod »

Offline SooSpicey

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: SooSpicey
« Reply #4 on: 08:22 AM - 06/17/14 »
I use that curve for all land/sea vehicles with great success.

for air i still use the controller

Offline tails72

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:39 AM - 06/17/14 »
hey are you using kb/m config or the nav/m config

have a read of this forum thread

thats for jets, also if you go to gameplay videos i think od1n explains his set up, i personally use the nav as i suck with a kb, there is a thread about the nav set up and i explain it there just search "nav bf4"

Offline neepz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:27 AM - 06/17/14 »
Od1n is your man to ask Foregod, though I'm sure it's Mists vehicle config he uses.
All the same I'd ask Od1n, he's a freak with all things that die in BF4 ( no offense Od1n, but you are ).

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:19 AM - 06/17/14 »
Like tails commented, it really depends on your peripheals. If you're good with a K/B then I suggest binding right stick to the keyboard for flying. For Nav I bind some of the right stick to the mouse, like this.

I also use the settings mist provided in tails link.

Offline ForeGod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:52 PM - 06/17/14 »
Like tails commented, it really depends on your peripheals. If you're good with a K/B then I suggest binding right stick to the keyboard for flying. For Nav I bind some of the right stick to the mouse, like this.

I also use the settings mist provided in tails link.

I don't have a sony nav, I guess i'm going to have to get one since it makes things easier. Thanks for the help and info though, hopefully I can make some progress on being efficient with vehicles.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:29 PM - 06/17/14 »
Actually, my point was, flying is probably easier with just a keyboard, if you're used to it. I personally hate using the KB, but you can now bind right stick to your KB and solely use it for vehicles, no mouse, no Nav. Or, you can still use your KB and utilize a mouse setup similar to mine.

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:59 PM - 06/17/14 »
@OP, just a point of clarification on RMLs configs. 

What he is doing is creating a vehicle subconfig, then telling the XIM to map the Right Controller Thumbstick to KB inputs (under Keyboard -> Advanced section in XIM).  This allows you to essentially control what you would normally control with your mouse, but with a KB. 

Then he is assigning those KB inputs to the mouse buttons (via the Setpoint/LGS software) so he can then use the mouse again for control of the right thumbstick, but now using buttons instead of moving the mouse.  The UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT on the mouse in the graphics above are actually KB keys.

In short, this is to get around the limitation of using the native mouse movement for vehicles as they usually require continuous max stick deflection for extended periods of time (read:  holding the thumbstick in a particular direction), which is hard (if not impossible) to obtain by just swiping your mouse with your hand (once you stop swiping, movement stops). 

TL;DR.   He's using a KB button to turn instead of the normal mouse movement.

Offline ForeGod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:12 PM - 06/17/14 »
@OP, just a point of clarification on RMLs configs. 

What he is doing is creating a vehicle subconfig, then telling the XIM to map the Right Controller Thumbstick to KB inputs (under Keyboard -> Advanced section in XIM).  This allows you to essentially control what you would normally control with your mouse, but with a KB. 

Then he is assigning those KB inputs to the mouse buttons (via the Setpoint/LGS software) so he can then use the mouse again for control of the right thumbstick, but now using buttons instead of moving the mouse.  The UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT on the mouse in the graphics above are actually KB keys.

In short, this is to get around the limitation of using the native mouse movement for vehicles as they usually require continuous max stick deflection for extended periods of time (read:  holding the thumbstick in a particular direction), which is hard (if not impossible) to obtain by just swiping your mouse with your hand (once you stop swiping, movement stops). 

TL;DR.   He's using a KB button to turn instead of the normal mouse movement.

So just to clarify, I need to have 2 bf4 configs to do this?

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:01 AM - 06/18/14 »
One config, but add a vehicle subconfig. When you're editing your BF4 config, swipe your screen to the left, past the ADS config to add a new subconfig. Name it vehicle, set an activation key and configure it as described above. You can have 6 subconfigs.

You will of course also need to have an additional mouse profile with kb mapped buttons that you can also switch to.

Offline Shizuka

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: SirShizuka
« Reply #13 on: 01:11 PM - 06/18/14 »
a few little tips:
Go to Test Range in BF4.

Set Up correctly BF4 infantry config,
then copy it, call the new one BF4 Vehicle. Doing this helps keep most things in the same place so you don't get in a mess. First change in game vehicle buttons to accelerate and decelerate to the left and right analogue triggers instead of the sticks. This will allow for better control of tanks and boats as otherwise they automaticly turn towards where the gun is aimed making "diagonal movement" impossible.
Increase sensitivity by a factor 8 adjust if needed and set other buttons as required.
(Note that you can turn a tanks gun faster if you turn the tank at the same time)
The same config can be used for boats.

Gunner seat needs a config too, in attack or transport helicopter or in a tank. very similar to infantry but with a much higher sensitivity so again copy the original infantry profile and call it BF4 gunner. Make the required button changes if their are any.

Then you need to link all 3 profiles:
Profile 1 (infantry) linked to f4, profile2(Vehicules) linked to f5, profile3 (gunner seat) linked to f6.
Give the same link button for the same profile in every profile to ease correct selection.

After a time you can most often successfully switch profile seamlessly as you get in and out of tanks and gunner seat. When not you will likely turn like crazy and fire when exiting a tank, it takes some getting used to.

Offline ForeGod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:58 PM - 06/18/14 »
a few little tips:
Go to Test Range in BF4.

Set Up correctly BF4 infantry config,
then copy it, call the new one BF4 Vehicle. Doing this helps keep most things in the same place so you don't get in a mess. First change in game vehicle buttons to accelerate and decelerate to the left and right analogue triggers instead of the sticks. This will allow for better control of tanks and boats as otherwise they automaticly turn towards where the gun is aimed making "diagonal movement" impossible.
Increase sensitivity by a factor 8 adjust if needed and set other buttons as required.
(Note that you can turn a tanks gun faster if you turn the tank at the same time)
The same config can be used for boats.

Gunner seat needs a config too, in attack or transport helicopter or in a tank. very similar to infantry but with a much higher sensitivity so again copy the original infantry profile and call it BF4 gunner. Make the required button changes if their are any.

Then you need to link all 3 profiles:
Profile 1 (infantry) linked to f4, profile2(Vehicules) linked to f5, profile3 (gunner seat) linked to f6.
Give the same link button for the same profile in every profile to ease correct selection.

After a time you can most often successfully switch profile seamlessly as you get in and out of tanks and gunner seat. When not you will likely turn like crazy and fire when exiting a tank, it takes some getting used to.

Thanks for clarifying, I'm gonnaa screenshot and post my config here for u guys to check just to make sure i have it set up right after this