XIM Community

Poll

What Operating System does your phone run?

Android
52 (51%)
iOS
40 (39.2%)
Windows Phone
9 (8.8%)
Blackberry
1 (1%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Voting closed: 06:09 AM - 07/15/14

Poll: What phone OS do you use?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: KodRaiN
Poll: What phone OS do you use?
« on: 06:09 AM - 06/15/14 »
One of the lingering questions regarding the XIM4 launch is the order in which the two remaining OS after Android get the Mobile Manager first.  On one side you have the (likely) more popular iOS, but there are some issues with it utilizing bluetooth.  On the other side you have the Windows Phone which more than likely has fewer users on this site, but releasing an app on this OS will be much easier.  This poll is designed to assist OBsIV in making a decision that makes the XIM community happier as a whole. 

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: 10:59 AM - 06/15/14 by KodRaiN »

Offline thebside

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ma1arky
Re: Poll: What phone OS do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 01:34 PM - 06/15/14 »
What, no love for RIM and Symbian?

Offline LolPop

• I am potato
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:57 PM - 06/15/14 »
Iphones are so stupid , i cane believe people use them . First , you have to jailbrake it , then if you wanna transfer music from your PC to your phone you need that stupid program itunes .

Androids are just like regular MP4 and you dont need to jailbrake them , you can root them but you can still get free apps without doing so

Offline bryco

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Bryanrudd
« Reply #3 on: 03:00 AM - 06/16/14 »
I'm not sure what a jailbrake is? Cane you explain more?
It's a canes thing... U wouldn't understand.

Offline Chaotic82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:52 AM - 06/16/14 »
Iphones are so stupid , i cane believe people use them . First , you have to jailbrake it , then if you wanna transfer music from your PC to your phone you need that stupid program itunes .

Androids are just like regular MP4 and you dont need to jailbrake them , you can root them but you can still get free apps without doing so

All I read here is your opinion, which you're more than welcome to.

I've never had an issue with iTunes, it's extremely easy to transfer music.

The phone is really easy to use, so it doesn't offer as much customisation as Android phones offer? Honestly, I sit in the corner where I really don't care for customisation. Are there some things I dislike about the phone? Of course there are but it's not a "stupid" phone as you so refer to it.

As for free apps? When did you last look at the app store?

Offline Sif Noob

• MVP
  • As If!!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
  • Gamertag: sif noob
  • PSN ID: T3h_GrayWo1f3
« Reply #5 on: 04:01 AM - 06/16/14 »
Imo iphones are good if you like there design and have no desire to have any form of customization. As long as you like the phone EXACTLY how they want then they're good phones.

They're very simple and user friendly.

But I personally HATE them. I had one. The 4s and doubt I'll ever get another
AD700+DSS2/ g500s/ CM QuickFire TK/ asus VX238H/ xbone/ x360/ ps3/ ps4/ xim4!- FTW :P

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:21 AM - 06/16/14 »
Crap, I think I'm not the typical mobile user .. 
-what to put as an answer when you use all of those mobile OS's on a daily basis .  :P

I guess which one I use the most is of course Android ..  I have no hate for the Apple hardware but I doubt support will ever come to it . Too much costly development overhead which makes it not a good business decision to start with.

Honestly , the other OS choices listed may not get their own app either.

Wouldn't it be more efficient, cost effective & rational to develop solely for the most popular device which has the cheaper hardware and is the easiest to make apps on ?

Don't have an android device ?  You can find cheap ones with Bluetooth for around $30-50.00 usd.  ;)

-You can't come anywhere near an Apple tree for that kind of cost..

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:06 AM - 06/16/14 »
I'm about to murder someone at microsoft or nokia.  Camera just stopped working.  This after the debacle of trying to transfer music to the phone on the SD card.  I'll go to at&t tomorrow and see if they'll replace it, but if I start having the same issues I'm switching to android.  Google doesn't promote hacks to management positions and actually tests their products. 

again, I say ALL major companies need a few consumers that sit in on all the board meetings at throw rocks at the people with greedy or bad ideas. 

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:19 AM - 06/16/14 »
Google doesn't promote hacks to management positions and actually tests their products. 
I worked at MS for a few years, and after talking to some extreme old-timers, the best I can say is that MS isn't capable of being MS-as-was without Bill actually running the show day-to-day.  Ballmer seemed utterly unfit for the position.  He had energy and devotion to be admired, to give him some credit, but he simply didn't have the chops to direct the company.  It didn't help that his behavior was rather... odd... and off-putting... for a CEO.

I don't know much about this new Nadella guy--that happened after I left--but if I were still there I would at least be glad to have a CEO whose demeanor doesn't frighten small children.

Anyway, the dubious management selection process is only one problem with it.  Really, the viciously-protected fiefdoms within the company are a bigger problem.  That, along with the ridiculous rank-and-yank review system, just promoted infighting and backstabbing, since people mostly got ahead in the larger org by making sure others looked like failures in comparison to them.  I gather they changed the review system somewhat, but to me it just sounded like the same system wearing a funny hat, and it did nothing to fix the protectionist, xenophobic practices in the various divisions.

If I weren't already invested in WP hardware, I'd get a Samsung Galaxy 5 or maybe wait for the Galaxy Note 4, since I like large screens.  WP is a cleaner interface, yeah, and personally I think Google is easily as evil as MS was when the DoJ put the smackdown on them in the 90's, but the simple truth is that Android has the same basic advantage over WP that Windows machines have over Macs: inertia.  Barring a major mis-step, Android will remain in the lead *because* it's in the lead, which ensures reasonably-quick app arrivals.

(I won't buy iPhones because Apple is just too much of a control freak with its devs and users, and I am both of those things.)

Offline colb

• MVP
  • The Global Elite
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: mynameiscolb
  • PSN ID: mynameiscolb
« Reply #9 on: 11:38 AM - 06/16/14 »
Apple is too locked down for my tastes. They make good phones with a good OS. But lately have been slightly behind others, in terms of innovative or new common features. iOS7 brought in features and controls that have been around for years on other devices.

That's not a knock on them. I see it as they are waiting to see what is relevant for phone use, rather than adding a bunch of stuff nobody needs. It works for them.

Up until recently, I carried both an iPhone (work) and Android (personal). I prefer my Galaxy over Apple. I can do more with it.

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:17 PM - 06/16/14 »
I have a new 1520 on it's way.  camera and LED lights shat out on me today.  Talking to the tech support guys, this was the first any had heard of complaints about that model.  I got the bad one, I guess. 

Other than a few hardware mishaps that seem to only happen to me, the WP OS is spectacular.  The app marketplace seems to be catching up, and the UI is the best, imo.  I just wish there were a few extra settings like, hiding text messages from your lock screen, and changing volumes for apps separately, that way you can max the volume for your alarm, but texts and emails don't wake you up.  The music syncing on the PC side of things could use some work as well.  I miss Zune on the WP7...

Offline FrizzleFry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:41 PM - 06/16/14 »
I just ordered a Nokia Lumia Icon, which looks to be pretty similar to the 1520, just smaller display. Though bigger than my HTC 8X, which got dropped one time too many. If anyone feels incline to buy a Naztech Gladiator holster for their phone, don't, unless you have insurance.  I am putting an Otterbox on the new phone.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01:09 PM - 06/16/14 »
I use IOS because that's what my wife like's and that's what my company supplies. I personally have never gave a rats @#$% about which phone I have as long as it holds music. Other then that it's just a way for work to get ahold of me (which is usually unwanted). XIM has actually finally given me a reason to use the @#$% thing, so sick of seeing everyone, everywhere on thier @#$% phone.

:)

Offline MrSir

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02:06 PM - 06/16/14 »
i don't even care, i use ios, and i've used android before . I prefer my PHONE to be simplified and fast .

Offline nataku_0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:14 PM - 06/16/14 »

god you are so incoherent and nonsensical i just want to punch you sometimes

Admin