XIM Community

Mouse scroll wheel to button mod / hack  (Read 4938 times)

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
  • Gamertag: grayskuii
Mouse scroll wheel to button mod / hack
« on: 10:00 AM - 06/12/14 »
I want my mouse scroll wheel to be buttons instead of scrolling.  Xbox has no need for a scroll wheel.  Is there a mod software or hardware that I can make the scroll wheel into two single buttons?  Software would make it still scroll but read the it as a continuous press.  Hardware would make the scroll button only one click forward and one click back. Holding in in these positions will make it obviously hold the button down. 

Most mouses I have cracked open only have three prong switches on the scroll wheel and a mechanism that looks like it would be hard to mod to make a hold scenario work.  I am thinking a paddle type mod with two buttons for this input might be whats needed, but I haven't delved into how a mouse thinks so I'm asking for guidance to see if this is even a possibility. 
I gotta quit welding in flip flops...

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse scroll wheel to button mod / hack
« Reply #1 on: 10:51 AM - 06/12/14 »
Possibility 1: Wait till the Naos is fully supported by the XIM, it has two buttons behind the wheel
Possibility 2: Wait for W11ce for making the touch foil mod for the Teensy. It will take some time as he has a lot of other stuff to do before. Piece of cake though for him. Write him a PM and ask for it. That will speed things up.
Crusade atm: none

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #2 on: 12:16 PM - 06/12/14 »
But I really just want the physical wheel to stay, just click one notch forward, and one notch back and physically stop so that is the point where I hold.  Seems like it could be mechanically possible.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:52 PM - 06/12/14 »
But I really just want the physical wheel to stay, just click one notch forward, and one notch back and physically stop so that is the point where I hold.  Seems like it could be mechanically possible.

That seems easy enough.

Open your mouse, drill a small hole into the side of the wheel, insert a small rod into the hole. Use plastic putty and attach to somewhere on the inside of the mouse to stop the rod at a distance of one click in either direction.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plasticweld-putty/

The rest is just software as you said, interpret one mouse up/down as a hold until the wheel is reset to it's 0 position.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:54 PM - 06/12/14 »
problem is same as ads hold, such a wheel could get stuck when you die. Reset with middle would work. Obdiv could do bit I doibt many people would support the idea. What do you need it for?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:01 PM - 06/12/14 »
Mist I think he wants it active until restated not a 64ms click

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01:04 PM - 06/12/14 »
I read it as him asking for two things. The wheel would see a scroll as a press and hold and he wants to be physically limited by one scroll up and down. If this is right then it will be both hardware and software.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #7 on: 01:31 PM - 06/12/14 »

I read it as him asking for two things. The wheel would see a scroll as a press and hold and he wants to be physically limited by one scroll up and down. If this is right then it will be both hardware and software.

Yes.  I want it to act like a real button that has a bottom.  The reason is completely selfish and probably doesn't warrant enough to be used for anyone else, but the thing is I want all my buttons on the mouse to act like xbox buttons.  I use scroll up for weapon change and scroll down for reload.  Both of these buttons have the added function of use and pickup when you hold them down.  Spinning the scroll wheel for extra presses adds nothing, but loses the ability to hold an pickup. (I did put the wheel on free spin and "spot" and that worked ok.  I guess it could work for sort of a rapid fire button too.)  I like the physical feel of the wheel, just because I am used to it and it works well for two buttons in one vs two actual buttons that I would have to curl my finger or stretch to reach. 

I dont know what kind of scroller is in the g502.  Is it possible to add buttons to a mouse?  My simple brain just wants something like this.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:34 PM - 06/12/14 »
That would feel awful as you would need brutal force to press those. Put dpad on wheel for 502.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #9 on: 06:14 PM - 06/12/14 »
Even with micro switches?  If you got them close to the wheel i think you would have plenty of leverage to work them.

Which while we are on the subject of mods,  i picked up a Sony nav at GameStop for 10 bucks so i took it apart to see if i could tap into the d pad and move those buttons to the side of the controller.  The dpad circuit is all a ribbon.  I think I'm going to try to solder to the end connector and see if i can tap into it.  Have yall messed with ribbons and changing them to wires?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:55 AM - 06/13/14 »
try it you can use Sugru to extend the wheel. You will loose two othet buttons for this you will have to connect.
When W11ce has the touch foil finished you could just put a small foil piece right before and after the wheel. Disable the wheel and just map the foils you touch and hold when scrolling. Would also save the hardware.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:14 AM - 06/13/14 »
try using a rocker switch and just remove the wheel part. You'll have to do a mouse mod to mount it.
here is one type of rocker switch. they make all kinds of shapes. you would probably need a switch with an on-off-on type rocker. goood luck with your mod.
here is a link to one type. replace the xx with tt . Don't know if live links out were ok.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/4-1571986-6/450-1524-ND/1021803
« Last Edit: 11:58 AM - 06/13/14 by mist4fun »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:28 AM - 06/13/14 »
good idea, make pictures.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11:59 AM - 06/13/14 »
Links are fine. A rocker switch is a good idea.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #14 on: 03:56 PM - 06/13/14 »
I can see that working,  but will i have to do a teensy mod with it?